What's new

Made the plunge

Tonight I made the plunge picking up most of the equipment I need to start using a straight. Since I am already using a brush and soap, all I needed was a razor and strop. A hone will be my next purchase down the line.

From Vintage Blades, I purchased a pre-honed Dovo 5/8 hollow ground carbon steel razor with ebony scales and from Tony Miller, his horse hide strop. I also purchased a practice strop for an additional $6.50.

Before I truly make the plunge, I plan on purchasing and studying Lyn Abrams DVD to complete my understanding.

Yesterday I spoke with both Jim Ayars at Vintage Blades and Tony Miller from the Well Shaved Gentlemen and I received some really great information that helped me in my decision. What really impressed me with both of these men is the amount of time they took to walk me through the process of not only what to buy but also how to use it. They didn't try to sell me on their most expensive products...but rather on products that would help me get the most out of the straight razor experience. My conversations with both those gentlemen will make me their customers for life!!

My thanks goes out to all the members of this forum (a special thanks to Joel for his invaluable straight razor info) who helped me along in this process and to whom I will continue to look for guidance as I move down this new adventure.

Both Jim and Tony are true gentlemen. And it sounds like they helped you get a great setup to start the straight razor shaving adventure. Keep us posted on how it goes. :)

Top Bottom