What's new

Luc shaving journal

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I suspect it won't take you too long to get back into the swing of it. Muscle memory and all that. What made you move back towards DE and Single edges after using straights? I've heard Single edges are very comparable to straight shaves, but can cause more irritation on the skin if not careful.

Speaking for myself, though using a DE would be quicker and involve less maintenance the straight has been a blessing for my sensitive skin and has always felt better post shave.

Well, it started with the usual "I never tried a SE before". Like anything else, I started with 1 SE, then another one, then I got an injector, then first thing I know, I have a box full of SE.

After that, I thought, why not try a DE again? Since I sold all my DEs, I bought another one (I must have 5-6 of them now but only really use 1).

So, I've been playing between the SE and DE for a little while now. I liked the convenience of changing the blade (no stropping) but then, it really does take 2-3 minutes to strop. Eventually, I thought, why not go back to straight? but it took me a while to think that...

Welcome back Luc. Within a year or two of learning to shave with a DE back in the 70s, I got a Schick injector SE. I have not used one since, but my recollection was that it shaved very much like the Gillette DE I was handed down by my father.

If straight razor maintenance is an issue, you could always go the Feather Artist Club route or the KAI Captain route. There are a host of shavettes that use DE blades. I recently got a "Universal" handle from Italy that worked superbly with an Astra SP DE blade.

Luc

Staff member
Welcome back Luc. Within a year or two of learning to shave with a DE back in the 70s, I got a Schick injector SE. I have not used one since, but my recollection was that it shaved very much like the Gillette DE I was handed down by my father.

If straight razor maintenance is an issue, you could always go the Feather Artist Club route or the KAI Captain route. There are a host of shavettes that use DE blades. I recently got a "Universal" handle from Italy that worked superbly with an Astra SP DE blade.

Oh no, I think the "convenience" trap closed behind me. Lets face it, 5 minutes to strop is nothing. I will keep the straight in my routine more often!

Luc

Staff member
This morning, I believe I was back in the game after, maybe, 7 shaves. No irritation so it has to be good. I took the workhorse out, Tabac!

Luc

Staff member
I was looking at it and I will need to make another basket for my morning shave. Let me explain.

Over time, I realised that having a basket (or a tray) was easier to pull from under the sink to shave in the morning. That basket contains everything I need to shave (1-2 aftershaves, the razor, scuttle, 1-2 soaps depending how I feel). I also keep my samples in there to avoid stacking them all over the place as I use a lot of samples. Anyways, I was looking at it and I do not use the scuttle with a straight razor but I use a sponge and I have one of those super rag to dry the razor when done. I think it might be easier to have the DE/SE gig in one basket and a Straight razor in a different basket.

Luc

Staff member
I did not do a second basket... yet...

However... Here's why I'm back in this thread...

<A-Team tv show theme song>
In two thousand and nine, I started straight shaving. I used to have a straight razor made by Max Reul. Now, after years of searching, I was able to get another Max Reul razor.
</A-Team tv show theme song>

Let me explain, when I started straight shaving, I was able to get off eBay a Max Reul Razor in an okay condition. It was something like my 3rd or 4th razor. I had it cleaned up, sharpened and off I went. It was great. I used it often and eventually it had to be resharpened.

Tragedy struck, the razor ended on concrete and was broken (edge first).

Since that day, I was looking for another Max Reul, what I had was a 11/16 Reul razor. Last week, I received a 6/8 razor, I did a touch up on the stone and tried it today. Don't ask me why I had that obsession with the Reul razor but I was, somehow, attached to it and really wanted it to last until the end...

Right now, I think I'm back to the first days! In every sense possible...

It's great to have the Reul again. I will use the razor for sure. However, I am a very infrequent straight shaver today. I use a DE or SE most of the time. What I noticed this morning is that my blade angle was off on a few spots. I had BBS spots and a few patches so not a BBS shave. I would say that I'm probably back around shave 30 of my journey. Yup, that bad.

The good sides of things, no cuts, no nicks, no irritation, nothing burned when I applied the AS.

I plan to get back into it as I miss the straight shaves.

That's cool man. Finding a long sought after razor, even if not the exact replacement of your broken treasure, is a great way to bring yourself back to the straight razor. Now when you grab the straight your no just grabbing "any" straight, your grabbing THE straight.

I'm interested to see how quickly it all comes back to you.

Luc

Staff member
I'm also curious about it. I think it should be fairly quick but who knows. It took me a while when I started but that's okay.

Luc

Staff member
Thread resurrection 😯😯😯Holy smokes, Batman!😯😯😯

I'm posting all over the place where it's really, a shave journey thing so. I had two choices. I could start a new thread or use what I already had. I went for option 2.

I haven't shaved with a straight razor in a good while. While I like to entertain the idea that I will again one day, I am simply not at the moment. So, let's continue with the DE side of things.

I haven't tried a Single Edge in a while too. I should rephrase that as I did but found them too much. I must be getting old. I tend to gravitate around milder razors.

I am currently trying to find my perfect blade, but this is going to end up as blade(s). Just a feeling...

Lately, I've been shaving in the shower, the mess is easier to clean when I'm done.

So, what happened with the shave?
Razor: Gillette SuperSpeed Black Handle W1
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum (Russia)
Brush: Semogue 2020
Soap: Mikey Lee Soaps Grand Havana
Aftershave: Clubman Milk + Alum Block
Scuttle: Vintage Japanese rubber scuttle
IMG_1982.JPG

Welcome back, my straights are on hold for the moment as well, till I get off my arse and figure out how to hone, in the meantime, like you, I am finding out what blade(s) I want to stock up on. With the PPI plant production of many loved Gillette blades gone now, I need to find a viable source. Thus far the Lord-made blades are up there on the list, also the Dorco blades made in Vietnam are good as well.

Luc

Staff member
That scuttle had me searching roaming the internet Luc. Super cool!

Looking forward to your reviews.

Guido
It's a very interesting scuttle. In case you did not see it. Mine is made of Rubber.

Which means it won't break if I drop it. I don't usually drop my scuttle but it's nice to know that I don't have to worry too much about it. Or hit the corner of the sink, etc...

It's a very interesting scuttle. In case you did not see it. Mine is made of Rubber.

Which means it won't break if I drop it. I don't usually drop my scuttle but it's nice to know that I don't have to worry too much about it. Or hit the corner of the sink, etc...
That is definitely a plus. Mine is made of plastic (Proraso) and I think I want a bigger one like Pereira’s unbreakable bowl. But your one is super cool too!

All I can find is the Marvy mug in rubber.

Luc

Staff member
While I am still getting ready to have a 5 razor line-up to review blades, I think that I can post my unused Safety box. I'm on the last few shaves as I believe that will be locking razor #5 this week-end. Yesterday's shave (Astra SP Russia - shave #5) was it! I wanted a TTO razor as razor #5 since I haven't used them in a very long time.

What's in the box? Single Edge and Double Edge safety razors that I used at one stage but I keep them in "storage" for now. This is what happens when you stick around! I sold some over time but I haven't decided what to do with those yet.
IMG_2009.JPG

I got an eBay account and this thing is dangerous:

I got a shaving brush on the last package. I am in the process of sanding the brush. I took the knot out and I have a new knot in the mail...

Top Bottom