What's new

Lothur shave soap company gone?

I'll admit my title was slightly click baity, but I'm genuinely wondering I'd lothurbstill exists. Sure the sites up but I haven't heard a peep about the brand or restocks in a long time. Pretty much since lothur was acquired by the razor company. They were the darling of the industry for like a year and then just vanished. Any insights?

I had a copy of the email announcement but seem to have deleted it. The email was posted on another forum:

Public Announcement

Exciting News: Løthur Grooming is Now Part of The Razor Company Family!

Dear Valued Customers,

We hope this message finds you well. As a loyal customer and integral part of the The Razor Company community, we wanted to share some exciting news with you. As of 9/15/2023, Løthur Grooming has been acquired by The Razor Company L.L.C.

This acquisition is a significant milestone for both companies, and we couldn’t be more thrilled about the endless possibilities that this partnership will bring. With our shared vision and values, we see this as an incredible opportunity to combine forces for the greater good of our customers.

Enhanced Brand Synergies
Merging the expertise of The Razor Company with the talent, innovation and craftsmanship of Løthur Grooming, creates a formidable alliance that will benefit you, our customer, in various ways:

1. Expanded Product Range: With this acquisition, we plan to offer a wider variety of grooming products — combining Løthur’s talent and expertise with The Razor Company’s resources and economies of scale.

2. Greater Geographical Expansion: The Razor Company’s expansive distribution network will make Løthur Grooming products more accessible than ever, extending their reach to new markets near you.

3. Streamlined Distribution: By integrating our supply chain and logistical operations, we expect to provide faster, more efficient shipping and handling.

A Seamless Transition
We are committed to ensuring that this transition is smooth and beneficial for our customers. Rest assured that the Løthur Grooming products you love will continue to be available, and we are excited to introduce you to new additions in the near future.

We would like to take this moment to express our deepest gratitude for your ongoing support. Your loyalty has been crucial to Løthur Grooming’s success, and we are excited to embark on this new journey with you.

Thank you for being a part of our story so far, and we look forward to continuing to serve you with even more exceptional products and services.

Warm regards,

Jonny Gill
Founder, Løthur Grooming

Jason Riegle
Owner, The Razor Company

I can’t imagine a US based business (TRC) buying a company based in England (Lothur) with the plan to be manufacturing the product in England and then shipping the products to the US to be sold. Shipping costs would be far too high in this scenario.

I suspect TRC purchased Lothur’s recipes and processes and moved production to the US. Perhaps TRC ran into speed bumps along the way and have been slow to introduce the new items.

I also suspect Lothur didn’t generate the revenue they were expecting or perhaps just wanted to get out of the business and didn’t care to sell their recipes and processes. Either way, I wouldn’t expect to see any more Lothur branded shave products.

I’m not a chemist (and I didn’t stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night either) so I don’t know how close these ingredient lists are, but here is the list for Lothur Oregon and the recent release of the TRC branded soaps.

Lothur Oregon:
Potassium Stearate, Potassium Tallowate, Glycerin, Potassium Kokumate, Aqua, Sorbitol, Parfum, Potassium Castorate, Dimethicone, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Cetyl Alcohol, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Sodium Lactate, Xanthan Gum, Limonene, Linalool

TRC:
Stearic Acid, Aqua, Potassium Hydroxide, Goats Milk, Beef Tallow, Shea Butter, Glycerin, Manteca, Castor Oil, Kokum Butter, Cocoa Butter, Sunflower Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, Agave, Avocado Oil, Jojoba Oil, Lanolin.

I dislike that all of the recent TRC soaps seem to be based on colognes.

I order quite recently soap in the Bourbon scent variant. I am from Europe but they ship from USA now. Order was processed promptly and arrived pretty quickly (about 10 days via Asendia service).
Superb soap, heck even maybe the best I tried so far. Just great.
I noticed that some soaps are "out of stock" for a long time, but recently they also introduced new v2 base?
It would be a shame - because this is the soap which should be talk about much, much more. And it's interesting formulation because it's one of the rare soaps that contains dimethicone.

ShrigI order quite recently soap in the Bourbon scent variant. I am from Europe but they ship from USA now. Order was processed promptly and arrived pretty quickly (about 10 days via Asendia service).
Superb soap, heck even maybe the best I tried so far. Just great.
I noticed that some soaps are "out of stock" for a long time, but recently they also introduced new v2 base?
It would be a shame - because this is the soap which should be talk about much, much more. And it's interesting formulation because it's one of the rare soaps that contains dimethicone.

Is using dimethicone considered a good thing?? My understanding is that it’s a type of silicone that they are/were using in place of natural ingredients in an attempt to help the soap’s slickness. The couple of their soaps I tried were just “fine”, not something I was eager to get more of or use instead of other great soaps, and after reading about dimethicone I didn’t want to use my badger hair brushes with it.

Glad that they worked for you, but for me I’m not missing them 🤷‍♂️

Why not? Nivea shaving cream have dimethicone it and it's a pretty good product. Beside it's way lower on the list of ingredients in Lothur.
Strange how people never consider bunch of esential oils in artisan soaps with questionable effect on performance and skin care

Why not? Nivea shaving cream have dimethicone it and it's a pretty good product. Beside it's way lower on the list of ingredients in Lothur.
Strange how people never consider bunch of esential oils in artisan soaps with questionable effect on performance and skin care

Now we're making comparisons of artisan software to mass-produced creams, and the ingredient lists that those products have (containing tons of artificial/chemical-ly products) are a big reason that people look at artisan stuff... Again, I have no problem with whatever products people like to use and get good results from, the whole point of this is to get good shaves and be happy with it and that's totally fine. I just don't think that touting dimethicone as a positive ingredient and a selling point for Lothur is something I can see myself getting behind. And again even if one didn't feel concerned about the impacts on your face or afterwards, I don't think this is something you want on your nice badger brushes; if I recall correctly Lothur was at some point even recommending to use caution with natural hair brushes because of that.

Yeah, that's not an apples to apples comparison at all. Getting away from crazy chemicals that nobody can pronounce is one of the main appeals of artisanal offerings. I'd wager anybody not wanting to use Lothur for the aforementioned reason would also not use Nivea. Why the assumption that one is receiving a free pass? Or the assumption that people never consider the other ingredients and are singularly critical of dimethicone?

And I've never read anything peer reviewed to suggest EOs aren't safe for external use.

Last edited:
Top Bottom