What's new

Lose Five Pounds of FAT With Us This Month!

I am in , I will join ..

I'm in Noah, though 5lbs is far from what I need to lose. The Jog Log ap is great for tracking time and distance if you're walking or jogging and are unsure of exact distances.

Saxman has it right. Metabolism is complicated stuff.

What's as important is how you will change over the years. All you young guys can easily lose 5 lbs in a month without major alterations in your lifestyle.

Over the last 38 weeks, I've been trying to learn how to eat all over again, because "going on a diet" will fail, eventually. Now is the time to make that a part of your lifestyle. Don't be like me and wait until you're older, because it will only be harder. Sorry to sound like a father.:biggrin1:

I've been at a stable weight for the last 2 months, after dropping 50. I'll try to play along, and see if I can drop a little more.

Right on people! :thumbup:

Oh I can't believe I'm doing this, but if there is a community that can motivate me to enjoy shaving, then that community must be able to motivate me to get in better shape. Put me down for 10 lbs. That will be about 1/6th of what I should lose, but 1/4 of what I would be happy to lose.

So...can we take up smoking again as a weight loss plan? You know...a grapefruit for breakfast and a half a pack of cigarettes for lunch. Oh, and 3 martinis for dinner.

Cheers,
Rob

I will take the bait. I have the diet and exercise down, but have added cross training into my routine to get ready for cycling season and running season. Now that I'm out running more regularly and riding the single speed to work everyday instead of the winter commuter, I think it's going to be more like 10. I'm already down 30 pounds since last fall, so getting these last 15 is becoming harder and harder.

I'll tag along. I've been slacking on exercise and letting my food choices drift in the wrong direction for a while, so I'll crack down on those and see what happens.

Oh I can't believe I'm doing this, but if there is a community that can motivate me to enjoy shaving, then that community must be able to motivate me to get in better shape. Put me down for 10 lbs. That will be about 1/6th of what I should lose, but 1/4 of what I would be happy to lose.

So...can we take up smoking again as a weight loss plan? You know...a grapefruit for breakfast and a half a pack of cigarettes for lunch. Oh, and 3 martinis for dinner.

Cheers,
Rob

:nono:

I will take the bait. I have the diet and exercise down, but have added cross training into my routine to get ready for cycling season and running season. Now that I'm out running more regularly and riding the single speed to work everyday instead of the winter commuter, I think it's going to be more like 10. I'm already down 30 pounds since last fall, so getting these last 15 is becoming harder and harder.

I'll tag along. I've been slacking on exercise and letting my food choices drift in the wrong direction for a while, so I'll crack down on those and see what happens.

Awesome! :a5:

Please share any small setbacks, mistakes or successes with all of us.

In.
I started tracking intake via myfitnessplan on the phone a week ago.
Started 228, now 225-226.

I'll take 226 as my March starting point.
Dropped soda, late night snacking and McD's breakfasts, as well as most starches during dinner. Even dropped chocolate for the most part - that was the real hard part.
Exercise starts next week.

In.
I started tracking intake via myfitnessplan on the phone a week ago.
Started 228, now 225-226.

I'll take 226 as my March starting point.
Dropped soda, late night snacking and McD's breakfasts, as well as most starches during dinner. Even dropped chocolate for the most part - that was the real hard part.
Exercise starts next week.

All right Tony!

My wife and I have been back on the wagon since just prior to the holiday season. We're not what I would call fat, but being in our late 20's and early 30's, well...we all know what college does to a person! :biggrin:

A while back, we both started with My Fitness Pal, but have since switched to an app called Lose it! (Same concept, different feel--strictly a personal preference thing.) She's lost almost 10 pounds by counting calories, slowly improving diet, and exercising 5-6 times a week (elliptical machine, Insanity DVDs, etc.). I've lost about 3 pounds through a slightly different approach...I've picked up running (treadmill mostly, but outside with the dogs when the roads are clear of snow), swimming, and of course cut liquid calories and and improved my diet.

It's been challenging at times, but we try to leverage one day a week to let our guard down and eat out or have a couple drinks.

Good luck everyone!

Edit: Forgot to add - Nike + is another run tracking app that I use and enjoy for tracking my runs (distance, calories burned, achievements such as distance and speed milestones, etc.)

Last edited:
I'm in. I have picked up about 10-15lbs this winter & can't seem to get things moving back in the other direction. I am consistently over 200lbs for the first time in about 2.5 years & I have had enough.

My update: today I had a small setback. I had plenty of coffee with cream for breakfast instead of plain green tea and for lunch I had too much bread. I hope to have a light dinner, maybe a salad. On the other hand I had a great workout!

So far I've done pretty good with getting back to my "healthy" routine. Which for me is to have oatmeal for breakfast with some fruit, make sure I have some vegetables with lunch and dinner and have some lean protein (ground turkey lately).

I keep either bananas or strawberries around and have some yogurt around. I try to not eat bread and limit pasta/rice. I try to leave out soda (sometimes hard for me) and donuts (actually I try to greatly reduce sugar and salt).

I either go to the climbing gym or walk around a local lake (2.65 miles) most days.

That's pretty much my whole plan. When I get away from that routine that's when the extra pounds slowly start to add up. I never am more than 15 pounds off my ideal weight but it's easy to get 5-10 pounds off that idea weight :)

For anyone that doesn't already know it...skipping meals is counterproductive...your metabolism just slows down in self-preservation mode and when you start to eat normally again you gain all the weight back. Leave the soda and bread out of your diet and you will probably see a big change just from doing that (leave salt out as well...so you don't retain water).

Last edited:
Weston Price Foundation
Archevore
Book: Eat fat to loose fat.
Burst training, possibly Tabatta training

Low fat high carb is killing us. Paleo is another viable option.

The scale screamed 240 at me this morning. My health benefits just kicked in, and they cover a gym membership. It just so happens there is a great gym in my building. My company also provides a discounted Weight Watcher's membership, which my wife and I will both use. We did WW together 2 years ago and I lost 40 lbs (I was 265 lbs). I've gained most of it back. :glare:

My plan... simplified... eat less/move around more. :)

The scale screamed 240 at me this morning. My health benefits just kicked in, and they cover a gym membership. It just so happens there is a great gym in my building. My company also provides a discounted Weight Watcher's membership, which my wife and I will both use. We did WW together 2 years ago and I lost 40 lbs (I was 265 lbs). I've gained most of it back. :glare:

My plan... simplified... eat less/move around more. :)

Awesome! I encourage everyone to make regulars updates here for some extra encouragement.

Top Bottom