What's new

Looking to Upgrade

I've been using a Pure brush for several years and just started wet shaving a few months back... I'm hoping I can upgrade my brush on the cheap. I believe these are the details you need:

1. Current Brush: It’s a Vulfix Pure Old Original. I believe it’s 1000A; it was a gift so I don't exactly recall, but I know it cost like $25 about 5 years ago.

2. Lathering: Face-lathering with Van Der Hagen Deluxe Soap. I do the upside-down soap grabbing technique for about 20 seconds and then proceed to build the lather on my cheeks since there is ample surface to work it. Then I brush my chin and upper lip.

3. Why I want a change: My Vulfix Pure is scratchy and I wish it built a quicker lather.
• I can’t re-lather with it for my second pass because the pokey/scratchy irritates my face after a first pass. I also believe it promotes ingrown hairs which I’m prone to (not sure how or why, but there is a correlation).

4. What I’m looking for in a brush:
• Need softer hair tips, but not looking to spend a fortune. Best grade?
• More Bristle Density: more hairs to build a quicker lather
• Stiff enough for face lathering
• Medium Size. Definitely not interested in a small brush
• I like the handle size and shape of my Old Original, which is not small and has a flared bottom

5. Aesthetics: Composite/Mold Injection is fine.

6. Budget: option 1) $40 - $50 or option 2)$70 - $80. With option 2) I'll just wait until I get an extra paycheck.

7. Brushes considering (pretty much cost driven):
• Edwin Jagger - Best Badger - Light Horn Handle
http://www.amazon.com/badger-edwin-...TF8&coliid=I2UJIJSY76YH4Q&colid=1VO4Q7SCQPXGG
• Parker Best Badger Bristle – White & Chrome Handle
http://www.amazon.com/Bristle-Shavi...TF8&coliid=I3QHPZUL15EMRD&colid=1VO4Q7SCQPXGG

I really enjoy my Merkur HD and the VDH Deluxe Soap works well too. My brush is ok, but not great. If I can upgrade for a reasonable cost, I'll give it a shot. However, if $40 or $50 brush is not going to make a big difference then that's ok too and I'll keep doing what I'm doing.

Thanks in advance,
WC

Last edited:
I would go with either a Simpson's Special in Best or Berkley in best. Both are great all around brushes, a little small but it will feel much better on your face. You could also go with Commodore 1XL too. Simpson's best is one of my favorite hair types especially for face lathering.

I think a quality boar would be an upgrade from pure. Maybe a Semogue SOC or 830?

+1
I love my 830.

If you're set on badger I'd check into a Frank Shave brush from Iantang on ebay, I know a lot of people here frown on these brushes but I think they're the best value around for badger even after his recent price increase. I have a 24mm Finest set in a 52mm Ivory "Richmond" handle with a 52mm loft has a nice heft (3.2 ounces) and it's nicely packed with great backbone, it's soft and dense, but not lather hogging dense and it's shed maybe 5-6 hairs the first few lathers and hasn't lost any in months. It's a lather monster and rather large for the measly $23 plus $7 shipping I paid for it and honestly I enjoy it more than my old Simpson Classic that cost 3x the price.

I'm reluctant to go the boar hair route because I hate boars and I get angry at the just thought of using one. It's weird, I know.

I think a quality boar would be an upgrade from pure. Maybe a Semogue SOC or 830?

I think the problem is how hard it would be to break in considering his requirement of little skritch. The Semogues turn pretty perfect, but they start off pretty skritchy and it takes a while to work that out IMHO.

So how about a horse hair brush from Vie-Long? Juan over at Gifts and Care can set you up with one for easily within your budget. If you go with a higher quantitiy of tail hair you can get something that is ridiculously soft while still having fantastic backbone. I think 35/65, mane/tail hair would probably meet your requirements. You can just find a handle you like and then order it with a custom knot in it from Gifts and Care. Just my two cents :) .

I get the impression that my budget is quite prohibitive. If that's the case, please feel free to provide something over budget in addition. However, please do elaborate on why it's worth the extra $$ (i.e. was a charming badger who had nunchucks skills, brush can make a sammich, etc)

Thanks again fellas!

Edit: I added a 2nd option for budget

Last edited:
The Jagger BB should be an improvement, and it meets your specs. Anything with better hair is likely to be a lot smaller, and you ruled out small brushes.

Top Bottom