What's new

Looking for guidance

Hey fellas,

I'm looking for some advice on choosing a blade. I have used Derby's and Merkur's which I found to be terrible for me. Way too dull.

I recently acquired some Red Israeli Personna's, and for the first two shaves they were absolutely amazing. The first real baby butt smooth shave I had ever gotten. Very sharp and extremely smooth. My aftershave felt like water. Unfortunately, the third shave with the same blade ripped my face to shreds and I had to take two days off.

After hearing great things about the Super Iridium's, I gave those a shot tonight. They seem to be nice and sharp but nicked me about 6 times. Also, my aftershave was the worst sting I have ever felt. Like I took off an entire layer of skin.

I have some Yellow Gillette 7 O'clock's and Feather's on the way, but I was trying to see what else might be a good fit for me based on the info I have given. For what it's worth, I use a Merkur HD.

Thanks in advance!

For that type of razor I recommend a milder blade. For some reason this ST300 dorco goes well. You might also try the israeli blue personna. There is also shark, astra, gillette black. IT all depends on your face.

Good luck! Best advise will be to get a sampler pack from the usual vendors. Might be the best thing you ever did :D.

Happy Shaving!

Will do. I forgot that someone was kind enough to PIF me a pack of Dorco 300's so I'll try those out.

Just wondering if anyone could maybe narrow it down a little bit based on my notes so I didn't have to get 6 or 7 other packs of blades

Bullgoose is where the Feathers and Gillette Yellows are coming from. Phil is great to deal with by the way, he'll be getting much more business from me in the future.

I looked through all the sampler packs but figured it was a little late seeing as how most of them were at least 50% of blades I already had or had ordered individually.

I'll put the Astra's on my list. Also I forgot to mention that I've also tried the Wilkinson's and didn't see any difference from those and the Derby's

Thanks guys, keep the recommendations coming!

You might like Shark Super Chromes or Lord Platinum. I've got a bunch of the Lords. Shoot me a PM and I'll send you a box.

I like Astra, Shark Super Stainless and Lords. YMMV when it comes to blades. I can send you a couple of each if you want. PM your address:001_smile

Thanks very much for the replies and kind gestures everyone!

After some more research it appears that the Astra's are very widely used and loved so I'll be sure to check those out.

I also wanted to confirm that the Shark Super Stainless and Shark Super Chromes were in fact different blades and turns out they are. Can anyone comment on the difference between the two or is it like the Yellow, Green and Black Gillette's where it's strictly a YMMV thing?

Well, I think ALL blades are a YMMV thing. A lot of variables there, when you include the razor. I found the Shark SS and SC to be pretty similar.
Mid-sharpness, pretty smooth, similar to the Lord Platinum.

Just a quick update.

Had a shave with the Gillette 7 O'clock Yellows tonight. Good blade. Very smooth but not as Sharp as the Red IP's.

Tomorrow night, its the Feathers. Get the gauze and alum ready

If you like the Red Pack Personna blades, give the Gillette Super Thins a try. I find them similar to the Red Pack Personna.

I would suggest that you stick with the blade that you like. If you get 2 shaves per blade, you get two shaves per blade. I toss mine after 3 most times, but if I only got two good shaves out of a blade, I would change after two. Using 3 blades a week you will get almost 9 months out of a hundred pack, that's still well under a buck a week.

If you like the Red Pack Personna blades, give the Gillette Super Thins a try. I find them similar to the Red Pack Personna.

I would suggest that you stick with the blade that you like. If you get 2 shaves per blade, you get two shaves per blade. I toss mine after 3 most times, but if I only got two good shaves out of a blade, I would change after two. Using 3 blades a week you will get almost 9 months out of a hundred pack, that's still well under a buck a week.

Yeah right! :lol: Not til I try them ALL!

Otherwise I'll feel like I'm missing out on something.

Some people only get 2 shaves out of a modern DE blade. I only get 3 out of a modern blade before it goes in the bin. I'm a big fan of Shark blades. I find them quite sharp, smooth and they are very cheap so it's no hardship throwing them away after 2 shaves.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Hey fellas,

I'm looking for some advice on choosing a blade. I have used Derby's and Merkur's which I found to be terrible for me. Way too dull.

I recently acquired some Red Israeli Personna's, and for the first two shaves they were absolutely amazing. The first real baby butt smooth shave I had ever gotten. Very sharp and extremely smooth. My aftershave felt like water. Unfortunately, the third shave with the same blade ripped my face to shreds and I had to take two days off.
After hearing great things about the Super Iridium's, I gave those a shot tonight. They seem to be nice and sharp but nicked me about 6 times. Also, my aftershave was the worst sting I have ever felt. Like I took off an entire layer of skin.

I have some Yellow Gillette 7 O'clock's and Feather's on the way, but I was trying to see what else might be a good fit for me based on the info I have given. For what it's worth, I use a Merkur HD.

Thanks in advance!

Warning bells going off.

Indeed, as other people say, some folks only get two shaves from a blade - but, there should NOT be that big a difference between shave 2 being great and shave 3 tearing your face up.

What razor where you using?

If it was a TTO, was the TTO knob loose perhaps?

You may not get a smooth, comfortable shave if the blade has dulled by shave three, but it just doesn't make sense that something else wasn't going on for there to be that big a difference one shave later, without some stage in between.

Warning bells going off.

Indeed, as other people say, some folks only get two shaves from a blade - but, there should NOT be that big a difference between shave 2 being great and shave 3 tearing your face up.

What razor where you using?

If it was a TTO, was the TTO knob loose perhaps?

You may not get a smooth, comfortable shave if the blade has dulled by shave three, but it just doesn't make sense that something else wasn't going on for there to be that big a difference one shave later, without some stage in between.

Merkur HD and everything was tight. Maybe the lather wasn't up to par or something as I'm breaking in a new boar brush? Also, that third shave was with MWF which I have come to realize really irritates my face

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
If you have any Personnas left, try three consecutive shaves with the same set up.

The Red IPs are generally well liked, and as I mentioned, there should not be that big a difference between shave 2 and shave 3.

Top Bottom