What's new

Looking for a new A/S. Help needed!

If you're trying to be modern, maybe buy an issue of GQ and see what kind of samples are in there. Or go to a department store fragrance counter? A good one should have a person there to consult with you.

This discussion reminds me of an Abe Simpson quote: "I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was. Now what I'm with isn't 'it', and what's 'it' seems weird and scary. It'll happen to you!"

I'm not trying to be more modern, just sometimes I take a shower, shave, and splash an aftershave on and dont want to smell like an old man. I love the a/s's that I have and I understand that they are classic scents, however there are times I dont want the classic scent of an aftershave, but a more newer scent aftershave. Im not big on strong colognes or mainstream cologns. I like scents that stay suttle and may be smelled only very close and I know that the Pinaud Bay Rum I have is not for everyone (although I love it), let alone many women.

A few that come to mind that still smell masculine are Skin Bracer (don't really think of this as an "old" smell), Baxter's (citrusy), and even something like Anthony Logistics (which tends to be all natural, and lightly scented).

I liked Royall Mandarin's scent, it does not stick around very long though.

Regarding the exwife not liking the smell. I've discovered after my own divorce, and after watching a good (female) friend of mine go through a very messy breakup with her boyfriend, that (at least in their cases) scent was partially based upon prevailing feelings about the man in question. Given that scent is a great cue for memory and if she does not like someone I can see how a scent that brings up memories of the person she dislikes would be 'bad' even if she in general liked the scent before.

That said, your list is stuff that smells like stuff her grandfather might have used :001_tt2:

Also, DE shaving I've discovered makes great therapy. 'bout an hour of ME pamper time :biggrin:

I liked Royall Mandarin's scent, it does not stick around very long though.

Regarding the exwife not liking the smell. I've discovered after my own divorce, and after watching a good (female) friend of mine go through a very messy breakup with her boyfriend, that (at least in their cases) scent was partially based upon prevailing feelings about the man in question. Given that scent is a great cue for memory and if she does not like someone I can see how a scent that brings up memories of the person she dislikes would be 'bad' even if she in general liked the scent before.

That said, your list is stuff that smells like stuff her grandfather might have used :001_tt2:

Also, DE shaving I've discovered makes great therapy. 'bout an hour of ME pamper time :biggrin:

Thanks! The thing is.....Before she left, I hadnt taken up DE shaving so she never smelled these new scents on me to be upset about them. She just came across my new hobby after seeing me cabenit filled of all the goodies and just started laughing that I now use aftershaves.

I just dont want to smell like an old fart sometimes. Sometimes I like to take a late shower, shave, apply splash and head out to the patio for a late night drink with a friend (and Im not big on overpowering colognes and hardle wear them). Just want to feel fresh and clean and not like someones grandfather, although I love those classic scents, its not for everyone (guests). Just looking for a nice splash for after a good shave to relax with and smell decent.

The point is, you like what you have. Get modern stuff if you want it, not just to impress women. Because if you meet a woman who likes you, she'll start hanging around you more, and eventually you'll either have to stop wearing the "grandfather" stuff, or sneak out with it. I can imagine you sitting in a public bathroom with your grandpa scents going "Ahhhh Freedom" :lol:

I don't have any cologne/a-s worth more than $50 bucks. I pull it off, you can too. BTW, I prefer light aftershave as a splash on cologne as well to keep the scent mostly to myself, and rarely wear cologne, but may get into it.

The point is, you like what you have. Get modern stuff if you want it, not just to impress women. Because if you meet a woman who likes you, she'll start hanging around you more, and eventually you'll either have to stop wearing the "grandfather" stuff, or sneak out with it. I can imagine you sitting in a public bathroom with your grandpa scents going "Ahhhh Freedom" :lol:

I don't have any cologne/a-s worth more than $50 bucks. I pull it off, you can too. BTW, I prefer light aftershave as a splash on cologne as well to keep the scent mostly to myself, and rarely wear cologne, but may get into it.

lol........sitting in the bathroom part!

Anyway...found a splash that is going to work. Exactly what I had hoped for. It was just delivered. Comes in a nice glass shaker bottle. Nice cool scent.

SCS Mediterranean Citrus...........Havent used it after a shave yet, will tonight, but just splashed some on and its so good!

Top Bottom