What's new

Looking for a fine shaving/cologne brick & mortar in New Orleans

Will be traveling to New Orleans tomorrow and would like to find a nice store to pick some of my favorite TOBS, DRH, TH, etc colognes and other fine gentlemen's accessories. For some reason nothing comes up when I search 'haberdashery' or 'gentlemens store' online. Any good ideas? Preferably something close to the French Quarter and/or the Garden District.

There is a place on Magazine Street, Aidan Gill: Shop — AIDAN GILL for MEN - https://www.aidangillformen.com/shop/ They used to have a branch in the Central Business District on Fulton Street, but that's not mentioned on their site. Be aware that this crazy city has instituted live parking meters in the Magazine Street area as well as downtown, and they are also live on Saturdays (!), which is why I don't shop in those areas any more.

Their website doesn't mention anything but their own products, so you might give them a call.

The only other place I know of is the Art of Shaving store at 624 Canal Street, just off St. Charles: The Art of Shaving New Orleans LA - 624 Canal Street | Store Hours & Sale - https://www.tiendeo.us/Stores/new-orleans-LA/the-art-of-shaving-canal-street/503867 They may have closed due to the Big Hysteria; when I called their number just now, it was no longer in service.

If you want a haberdashery, Rubenstein's, the town's premier fine clothing store, is right there at Canal and St. Charles; and Meyer the Hatter is half a block down St. Charles, if you'd like to pick up a felt or straw hat. Be aware also that we are having one of those rare cool spells, probably the last until December, so a light windbreaker would be a good idea for nighttime.

Thanks for the tip. We have already left the city. I did find a place on the west end of the garden district called Modern Men Barbershop at the corner of Adams and Hampson. Couldn’t find the time to stop in but it looked promising.

Thanks for the tip. We have already left the city. I did find a place on the west end of the garden district called Modern Men Barbershop at the corner of Adams and Hampson. Couldn’t find the time to stop in but it looked promising.
That's a short distance from where I work, the University section. I'll have to take a look.

AOS on Canal closed... I had a in shop shave at AG on Magazine years ago.... cute girl but she butchered my face.

I grew up just a couple blocks from there. They say they've been in the Quarter for 170 years, but I've no idea if they've been in that exact location for anywhere near that long, or even just when I lived nearby.

After looking on Gaggle Street view, I believe that location used to be the Vieux Carre Hair Store, the makeup and costume place, which was certainly there in the '70s.

Top Bottom