What's new

Linux Users-NTFS or EXT4 For Second Drive?

Try checking your fstab fIle and see if it's listed there. One of the things I've found is that chmod doesn't work properly sometimes with automounters. Attempting to chmod the file or directory mearly causes the automounting program to change the permissions back. Worth trying though.
Best option I've found was to create an entry in fstab for the drive partition using UUIDs with the options you need.
this tutorial is Ubuntu specific but should still be helpful once you get down to manual setup help.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AutomaticallyMountPartitions

General advice with stepby step tutorials, if it asks you to do something but your not sure what it is fixing to do, stop and Google the command it's telling you to enter. If your still not sure, ask for help in the forums. Either here or on your distributions board. The Ubuntu boards and Irc rooms are also really great resources.

Paul, thank you for the great reply. I will look at these options and indeed, Google is your friend. I have been using it a lot this evening on this very subject.

Antonis, thank you again and sorry for missing the destination reference in yyour other post. I sometimes get lost in the forest for not seeing the trees.

Christian, Kodi is a superb media centre application. I am still trying to get used to the new name but the function is the same. The installation on the Fire Tv is so easy it is almost ridiculous. You need the Android sdk package on a pc but you only need part of it rather than the whole thing. I then found a small gui called adbFire. After you have downloaded the Kodi apk from their Web site you open up adbFire and point it at the Kodi file and it does the rest. After a few minutes the install is done and it simply works out of the box. I use it a lot to stream video from PlayonTv .

The chown command is used to change ownership:
Code:
sudo chown -R PhogAllen /path/to/folder
This will invoke superuser privilages to change the ownership of the folder from root to PhogAllen, the -R switch means it will perform the operation recursively to all files and folder within the path specified.

The Arch Wiki is a good source of general info:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/File_permissions

edit: Another option is to install the PCManFM file manager. If you run it from a terminal with the command
Code:
gksudo pcmanfm
you can then use the file manager to navigate to the folder, right click select properties>permissions and change ownerships & permissions, it will prompt for the recursive option.

Last edited:
Thank you Proinsias! I did as you said and voila, I can transfer files to it. I freely admit to being a bit intimidated by all this but honestly, it is no worse than working in the guts of Windows when you need to change permisssions or work the command line. It is just that people get used to reading and writing in their native language. For me, it is English(though I have have been studing Irish.:001_smile) so when you start with the command it is like another language altogether to me. Hopefully I can get the basics down. I found a couple of Linux syntax primers online. Thank you again to everyone who replied. Wouldn't have sorted it so easily without you.

Top Bottom