What's new

Let's Talk about Talc

Just got a vintage bottle of Hawick Talc, a great aftershave face talc, just as nice as classic Yardley IMO :thumbup1:
I use a aftershave balm during the colder days, then switch to talc when the heat and humidity crank up.

I was always under the impression that this type of talc (yes as men we have other products to keep other areas dry and unchafed) was to prevent a collar on a dress shirt from chafing your freshly shaven neck. Have I been misinformed?

I was always under the impression that this type of talc (yes as men we have other products to keep other areas dry and unchafed) was to prevent a collar on a dress shirt from chafing your freshly shaven neck. Have I been misinformed?
From what I can tell from my vintage talc containers, the product is used to combat "face shine".

Not to be confused with moon shine or monkey shine.

DastardlyDan said:
Have I been misinformed?

There are lots of uses for talc:
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427072184.559323.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427072221.272520.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427072333.181871.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427072375.878522.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427072565.405650.jpg

Last edited:
TheVez2, I love it! I only have two speeds: Dance or Walk.

I picked up some Pecknsiffs Sandalwood and Lemon talc at TJ Maxx last year and use them occasionally, but I use cornstarch based powder now. I sweat a lot, so powder helps.

Clubman all the time everywhere! It comes in 2 colors. White and pink. Makes sure you get white, the pink is very pink. I really like it at night also before bed, stays cool a freaks

Clubman all the time everywhere! It comes in 2 colors. White and pink. Makes sure you get white, the pink is very pink. I really like it at night also before bed, stays cool a fresh

I prefer the pure talc, cornstarch feels, well yucky. Clubman, DR Harris and an unscented pure fine talc in the places that get damp.

Sorry if I'm too graphic, but how do you apply this stuff to your bottom parts without having to mop the bathroom afterwards. Use a brush??

Bill

Sorry if I'm too graphic, but how do you apply this stuff to your bottom parts without having to mop the bathroom afterwards.

As previously described.
I took one of my kids' lone socks (the dryer ate the other one) and half filled it with talc, then tied off the end. I use it as kind of a rosin bag. The talc passes through the sock just enough to apply, without getting everywhere. It's perfect for applying anywhere on the body. I keep my talc sock in an Old Spice mug in my den.

KJ, great advise on using an old cotton sock for a powder puff. Works a treat. And fabulous photos of old school talc.

I just received a package from Italian Barber and one of the items is Felce Azzura Classic talcum powder. Listed as a 'for her' item, don't let this stop you. The scent is like a breath of fresh air and has none of the baby powder smell you associate with Johnson's. It is a very light fresh floral that is more like a barbershop scent to me. $6.99 on sale at IB. I am looking forward to trying it.

Sorry if I'm too graphic, but how do you apply this stuff to your bottom parts without having to mop the bathroom afterwards. Use a brush??

Bill

I pour a healthy amount into a wash cloth and fold it up. Lasts me about a week until I have to refill.

Thanks guys for the application tips. Being the cheap "------" that I am, I will probably try Mugwhamp's wash cloth trick first.
Hey I am no longer a recruit, but I don't know what M3 refers to.

Bill

We always kept a sock in the pool cue case. Never thought of in the bathroom though.

But I'll use a different sock.

Last edited:
Nifty professional style talc brush from Amazon: $6. Button releases talc stored in handle.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Top Bottom