What's new

Learning Curve...how long is it?

I've switched to str8t shaving over the last 4-5 weeks. I understand that there is a long learning curve, but was just wondering how long it took you experienced str8t shavers to feel like you've mastered the task?

I've switched to str8t shaving over the last 4-5 weeks. I understand that there is a long learning curve, but was just wondering how long it took you experienced str8t shavers to feel like you've mastered the task?

I hate to tell you but the learning curve never ends. I think it has taken me nearly a year to get to the stage where I can call myself 'sort of good at it'. I am afraid just learning to swip a blade around your face without cutting yourself is only half the battle. It's understanding when a blade is sharp that's the difficult bit. That means learning and honing and stropping and that takes time.

In short...... keep at it and you will get there. Every day in every way I get better and better........:biggrin:

I cut myself each and every one of my first thirty days. On the 31st day, I did not cut myself and I was pleased. I still didn't have a great shave.

I think around three months I was decently expedient to do three passes in 15-20 minutes with some patches of BBS.

Six months later I started getting the chin right.

Nine months now and I'm feeling competent all-around.

Of course, who knows what improvements lie ahead. A year from now I might look back and decide I was still a bumbling fool.

I'll say that suddenly some time around the two year mark I realised that I couldn't quite remember what shaving with a Trak II was like any more. I figure that's near the end of the curve.

X

Thanks for the input. I figured it would be a little while, and was just wondering about a ballpark figure. Thus far, only a few nicks, and no BBS just yet. The ATG passes seem to drag a little, though.

It took me about four weeks to get comfortable with shaving with a str8, but my shave times started to decrease after about 2-3 months.

The best advice for starters is to know your technique and find out which blade angle works best.

Keep your hand blade moving at all times. Pay attention to the blade at ALL times.

I don't know how long the curve is, but it's a blast to ride!

Here's hoping the curve never ends.

+1

I have been shaving with a straight for a couple of months now. I can get a BBS shave in three passes and very close to BBS in two. Either way, with two or three passes, I get no irritation and, somehow, shave quality lasts much longer. I still nick myself a couple of times a week, though.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
You probably get good enough with the mechanics of the actual shave to get a decent shave after 4 weeks. Figuring out the stropping takes time too, and honing is another mystery ... and given that you shave every day and hone maybe 4x per year, it's going to take a while.

But mastery of these tasks will be a YMMV thing, as each of us has different skills (or lack thereof) in terms of the 'fine motor skills' needed to be good at it.

I cut myself each and every one of my first thirty days. On the 31st day, I did not cut myself and I was pleased. I still didn't have a great shave.

I think around three months I was decently expedient to do three passes in 15-20 minutes with some patches of BBS.

Six months later I started getting the chin right.

Nine months now and I'm feeling competent all-around.

Of course, who knows what improvements lie ahead. A year from now I might look back and decide I was still a bumbling fool.

Your benchmarks were the same for me, except for the cutting part. I only remember nicking myself once. :wink:

One thing that I really struggled with after month nine were shaves that were too close. These led to countless ingrowns and general misery. I had to take about two months off from straight razors (and back to using the Slant) to fully recover. Now I'm trying not to pull my skin quite so taut on certain parts of my face. That seems to be working.

It's been a sometimes painful, but thoroughly enjoyable ride so far.

+1

I have been shaving with a straight for a couple of months now. I can get a BBS shave in three passes and very close to BBS in two. Either way, with two or three passes, I get no irritation and, somehow, shave quality lasts much longer. I still nick myself a couple of times a week, though.

It does seem like the shave lasts a lot longer. As for irritation, I can't say that I'm ever irritated after I use the straight, but I just can't seem to get it BBS for the life of me. I've watched Joel's video on Mantic59, and I do just what he does, but my beard is so damn thick, I can't get the closeness that I get from a DE....so I've been resorting to doing cleanup with the DE to make myself presentable for work. I think the blade angle is where I need to do my work as far as closeness goes, however.

At one month I had shaving with both hands down and getting decent shaves. At two months I had settled in to a 2 1/2 pass routine that equaled the DE in time and surpassed the DE in comfort and closeness. Honing however has taken much longer to master and I am still learning but doing better each time.

bj

I've been at it for 10 months and am just now able to get a bbs shave w/o finishing up with a disposable. Str8 shaving is like any other skill that takes time to master. Remember it takes time.

Rich

“If man could be crossed with a cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.” – Mark Twain

Everyone's experience is different. As with anything some people take longer than others, but also, as with anything, the learning never really stops.

You should be able to get good shaves after a month or so, and get really comfortable handling the razor (with both hands and while stropping) after a few more months, but as was mentioned by others there is always improvement to be had and things to try and master.

Just endure the rough patch at the beginning and you won't regret it.

IB

I have been learning this for 3 years and I still nick myself almost everytime I shave with a new razor for the first time. After it is "christened" things are fine but considering that I restore razors over at SRP that gets to be a lot of little nicks.

It does seem like it will take some time, but it has gotten better, especially within this past week.:biggrin:

I think I may be hooked.

Top Bottom