What's new

Lauren Bacall dead at age 89

Bad week for big celebrities.

While certainly not the shock that the Robin Williams passing was, in her day Bacall was probably as big a star, if not bigger. Besides her films, Bogey's girl will live forever in the cat calls and whistles that Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck and the rest of the Looney Tunes crew served up whenever she was caricatured in those classic cartoons.

Last edited by a moderator:

As usual, Bugs Bunny is right.

Come to think of it, I think Robin Williams might have been the Bugs Bunny of my generation.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
She will be missed...the Mrs. & I loved her opposite John Wayne in the his last 1976 film, "The Shootist".

Read More: http://news.msn.com/obits/actress-lauren-bacall-dead-at-89-bogart-estate

proxy.php

May she Rest in Peace & God Bless Her and Keep Her!

proxy.php
"Imagination is the highest kite one can fly". Laure Bacall

In my estimation we have lost another link in the chain that took us back to the golden age of cinema and glamour. Lauren Bacall and her peers exuded all the sexiness you could want and did it in a way that was not trashy like so much of today's gratuitous...acting. RIP classy lady.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
She was something eh? RIP kid,

Just put your lips together, and ..

Lauren Bacall was classy, sexy and always took over the screen. She was great in classic Noir films such as "Maltese Falcon", and "To Have To Have Not". My favorite Lauren Bacall film is ”Dark Passage” starring opposite Humphrey Bogart. I watch it several times a year.

Another screen legend has left us. Rest in peace Lauren Bacall.

In my estimation we have lost another link in the chain that took us back to the golden age of cinema and glamour. Lauren Bacall and her peers exuded all the sexiness you could want and did it in a way that was not trashy like so much of today's gratuitous...acting. RIP classy lady.

Some years ago I saw the original Father of The Bride with Spencer Tracy and Liz Taylor. The wifely unit asked how old Liz was when this was made. "Probably 18 or so", I said. We both marveled at how grown up and glamorous she looked as a teenager. The same could be said for Bacall (who if I recall correctly was 18 when she made To Have and Have Not) and Natalie Wood. The actress these days who comes closest to being a good performer, and looking classy onscreen would be Julia Stiles.

I've never seen that Bugs/Bogie/Bacall cartoon...and I thought I'd seen every Bugs Bunny cartoon. The only Bugs/Bogie pairing I knew of had Bogart popping up as Fred Dobbs asking for a quarter to help a fellow American who's down on his luck.

Last edited:
Bruce, right you are. It reminds me of my favourite golden era actress, Maureen O'hara. She was 19 years old when she debuted as Esmerelda in The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Same for Audrey Hepburn. Again, RIP Lauren Bacall. You made it look easy.

Last edited:
RIP

Lauren Bacall was IMO the most beautiful woman ever to grace the silver screen. She didn't have the "assets" of some of the big screen sirens, but she acted with class, grace and sophistication and her presence on the screen made her sexier than any actress of her generation or since, simply because she was able to be provocative without having to "flaunt it".
My favorite of her movies is To Have and Have Not. Imagine she was just 19 years old in that role and presented the sophistication and allure of actresses with much more experience.

Slim: I came to say good-bye. We're leaving now. Thanks for everything.
proxy.php

Top Bottom