What's new

Lathering European hard soaps

I have a few European hard soaps, pucks. I was thinking about the differences between them and why some gave me such issues.

Haslinger - I use the Schafmilch, just stupid easy to lather and gives me zero problems from day 1

Valobra - including its many forms. NOS AoS tallow pucks which I have a stockpile of, C & S 88, Valobra Pachouly, all tallow pucks and have no problems at all. One of the best soaps out there imo

Penhaligon's - I would say Pen's is a bit on the picky side with watering. I switched to their creams just for ease

Now for my problem children.
Saponifico Varesino - it took me a looooong while to dial this in. Its stupid easy to lather but that lather was far from ideal. All the rave reviews I read I couldn't believe it was as bad as I was getting, I would not back down. It took much trial and error but I have found it loads very fast and has a small water window. I have to add water very slowly to get a good, stable lather.

Pre de Provence - pretty much identical issue with this as SV and Pen's to a slightly lesser extent. It blows up with lather it's just not a great lather (before I figired it out)

Compared to the American artisan soaps I have where I can just go full bore. Has anybody had similar issues or noticed differences with European made pucks? I'm wondering if it's a vegan vs tallow thing but that wouldn't explain how easy Haslinger hits the mark. It could just be my water but I doubt it since I've used tap and distilled and have never had issues with a great lather with any US soap.

Excellent comparison! Very accurate for the ones I have tried. Here are my comments/additions

"Haslinger - I use the Schafmilch, just stupid easy to lather and gives me zero problems from day 1." I have had similar experience with their other options: sage, sandalwood, aloe vera, and coconut. All terrific IME!

"Valobra - including its many forms. NOS AoS tallow pucks which I have a stockpile of, C & S 88, Valobra Pachouly, all tallow pucks and have no problems at all. One of the best soaps out there imo." +1!

"Penhaligon's, Saponifico Varesino and Pre de Provence." I have NO experience with these!

I'm interested in your PdP review, I have a puck that I've only used a handful of times and I find that it doesn't create tons of lather, but what I do get is nice and protective. Its a pretty darn hard soap, are you getting lots of lather that's foamy/airy?

I'm interested in your PdP review, I have a puck that I've only used a handful of times and I find that it doesn't create tons of lather, but what I do get is nice and protective. Its a pretty darn hard soap, are you getting lots of lather that's foamy/airy?
My PdP lathers were the same as SV, tons of it but it was thin if I approached it the same as pretty much any US soap. So what I got to work for me was bloom the puck during a shower, soak the brush likewise. Start with a drier than normal brush to load and add water slowly, moreso than usual. I found the "water window" a little more forgiving with PdP vs SV. I found that US soaps, for whatever reason, are much more forgiving then their overseas bretheren for me atleast. That being said when I did solve the puzzle of SV it is hands down one of the best I have used to date. PdP is not quite to the level of SV but that does not detract from it, it's really good soap once figured out.

My PdP lathers were the same as SV, tons of it but it was thin if I approached it the same as pretty much any US soap. So what I got to work for me was bloom the puck during a shower, soak the brush likewise. Start with a drier than normal brush to load and add water slowly, moreso than usual. I found the "water window" a little more forgiving with PdP vs SV. I found that US soaps, for whatever reason, are much more forgiving then their overseas bretheren for me atleast. That being said when I did solve the puzzle of SV it is hands down one of the best I have used to date. PdP is not quite to the level of SV but that does not detract from it, it's really good soap once figured out.
Yeah I treat mine the same way, although without the blooming. I'm finding that more and more I'm liking my lather to not necessarily be huge and voluminous, but slick and hydrated even if its thinner which gives me a much better post-shave feel.

Top Bottom