What's new

Lather building time and asking for advice about synthetic brushes from Yaqi

T
I face lather exclusively, not to exfoliate which is nonsense in my view, and not because it makes better lather, because it does not. Bowl lathering most likely produces better lather. I face lather because it feels great. I can make a suitable lather in about one minute, but I have no interest in bubble free, creamy yogurt lather; as long as I can shave with it then I am happy. I normally take longer when lathering because..... it feels great. I cannot comment on synthetic brushes other than to say that a Simpson would probably not splay enough for you. Good luck.
Thank for chiming in and sharing your thoughts, it's very valuable to me!

I almost always do bowl lathering and as a synthetic brush I have the Yaqi Timberwolf, I got it for a very very reasonable price, just around $7-8, I also think and experienced that with this brush I make a good, creamy lather a lot faster than a boar or badger brush.
I'm grateful for your comment, thank you!

Keep in mind for loading the brush, gently squeeze the knot at the base of the hairs with 3 fingers. That lights squeeze will help load and give synthetics the extra backbone they need for harder soaps. I also splay a few times here and there while building up the soap. The original prescription, I believe, called for going back and forth like an X pattern, but who really does that without circular motions? Fun to do for old time sake though.
I tend to use synthetics exclusively when face lathering, but the natural hair has a slight edge in the bow ll lathering department. Synthetics have come a LONG way and for the money, cannot be beaten, pound for pound. But the high end natural hair, like a silvertip badger knot, is something everyone ought to try once before making up their own minds. After all, a good lather to your liking is the single thing that will determines how much you enjoy your wet shave. Second to only the technique you use. Practice makes perfect. Try whatever you can get your hands on and you’ll find what works best for you. Please do share what you like and dislike.
-Dan

... I’d rather be shaving! [emoji631]

The West Coast Shaving sure had the best tutorial in loading and lathering, in my humble opinion.

... I’d rather be shaving! [emoji631]

Synthetics have come a LONG way and for the money, cannot be beaten, pound for pound. But the high end natural hair, like a silvertip badger knot, is something everyone ought to try once before making up their own minds.

Agree with this! I got tired of the synthetic springy issue described exactly by the OP in this thread. Went ahead and splurged on a nice Thater Silver Tip and it's everything I could ever ask for in a brush.

Top Bottom