What's new

Lambda Athena

My early 2023 Athena's corners were so sharp that they cut the back of my ear after lightly brushing against it while shaving the back of my head.

For whatever reason the entire early 2023 Athena batch had sharp corners and mine might have been even sharper than the rest. This is the only batch that had this problem since the 2021, 2022, later 2023, and 2024 batches all had rounded corners.

I returned my razor and Theo mentioned that I'm the first person to ever return a razor to him.

I paid for the return shipping even though Theo offered to reimburse me for it since I just assumed that this was the new direction that the Athena was heading in. In hindsight I should have taken him up on that offer since the early 2023 batch was clearly a mistake.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
I am very jealous. Wish he'd drop a batch of em. I don't mind brass but I highly doubt it's as resistant to tarnishing as my lazy *** would prefer 😆
All due respect, it's bronze not brass. Have any of our "lazy ***" members that own either the Athena or Ares seen any patina develop on their razor. I treat mine with love but not kitten gloves. I've allowed one of my Timeless Bronze to develop a patina but the alloy is different. It does,indeed, look nice in stainless though.

Have any of our "lazy ***" members that own either the Athena or Ares seen any patina develop on their razor.
Yes.
FWIW, I recently borrowed a friend’s Athena for about 3-4 weeks. I’m a leave-the-blade-in-between-shaves kind of guy but since it was a borrowed razor, I went through the onerous process of disassembling it and drying all the parts after each shave. (OK it wasn’t that onerous but it’s still more maintenance than I want to do. 😉) Despite that, on receiving the razor back, my friend noticed it had still developed a noticeable patina after just a month away. Now I’m in Florida, so it’s rather humid here, and it was subtle enough that I didn’t notice it seeing the razor every day or 2. But it certainly reinforced my decision to wait and see if I can get myself a steel one.

My early 2023 Athena's corners were so sharp that they cut the back of my ear after lightly brushing against it while shaving the back of my head.

For whatever reason the entire early 2023 Athena batch had sharp corners and mine might have been even sharper than the rest. This is the only batch that had this problem since the 2021, 2022, later 2023, and 2024 batches all had rounded corners.

I returned my razor and Theo mentioned that I'm the first person to ever return a razor to him.

I paid for the return shipping even though Theo offered to reimburse me for it since I just assumed that this was the new direction that the Athena was heading in. In hindsight I should have taken him up on that offer since the early 2023 batch was clearly a mistake.

View attachment 1846893

View attachment 1846894
You should have exchanged it for the newer version, IMHO.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Well I did reach out to Theo during the release of the 2023 batch about the corners so who knows.
I talked to him too. We both rounded the corners a bit and I do believe it was an improvement for the Athena. I’ll bet numerous people chatted with Theo about it.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Well, like I said, it was a borrowed razor, I don't have it anymore... 😀

edit: And to be fair, it was subtle enough that I didn't notice while I had it. But my friend could tell when he got it back after a month.
Apologies, I managed to get that scenario filpped 180° as it traveled from my eyes to my brain. 🧠

Bad lighting and just a phone camera, but here is my Ares and my Athena. I have not cleaned or polished either, just rinsed them. The Athena is much older and you can see a bit less shine on it. I could polish it at any time if I wanted to, but I don't see the need to polish it frequently.

Attachments

• IMG_3994.jpeg
    IMG_3994.jpeg
    888.8 KB · Views: 30
Top Bottom