What's new

Lambda Athena

Holy hell! To me this lambda athena feels really really aggressive. I had to switch to my osprey mid head shave. Definitely didn't expect this

That's a little surprising, I wonder what is going on for you and if I/we could help?

The Athena is unique, I don't think it is aggressive, but it is quite efficient. Initially I had a bit of a challenge getting used to it. I was getting great shaves, but several weepers (just weepers that closed up quickly, not nicks or anything like that). I got it under control with a lighter handle, the stock handle was putting too much weight on the head. With a lighter handle I was able to tune it in and get some of the best shaves I've had. Perhaps try it with a lighter head to see if that helps you tune it in as well. I have only done face shaves, however.

All I know is this razor might not be for me. Based on the clamping architecture of the razor and the minimal blade protrusion I really thought it'd be like a better blutt or overlander. But I couldn't even get through one shave on my face. Switched to my osprey. Bummed to say the least!
That's a little surprising, I wonder what is going on for you and if I/we could help?

The Athena is unique, I don't think it is aggressive, but it is quite efficient. Initially I had a bit of a challenge getting used to it. I was getting great shaves, but several weepers (just weepers that closed up quickly, not nicks or anything like that). I got it under control with a lighter handle, the stock handle was putting too much weight on the head. With a lighter handle I was able to tune it in and get some of the best shaves I've had. Perhaps try it with a lighter head to see if that helps you tune it in as well. I have only done face shaves, however.

I've heard all kinds of definitions for Athens, but aggressive, I think is the furthest from reality.
I assume that in the specific case, it is about some side factors that create this perception. Maybe, bad preparation, bad blade, bad technique, dermatological problem, etc... But definitely, this case is the exception, not the rule.

All I know is this razor might not be for me. Based on the clamping architecture of the razor and the minimal blade protrusion I really thought it'd be like a better blutt or overlander. But I couldn't even get through one shave on my face. Switched to my osprey. Bummed to say the least!

That is a bummer, I would have thought you'd like it too. Given the slants you like, I put you as liking more aggressive than me. What setting do you use on the Osprey?

Wow. You may be the first person I’ve seen that the Athena is too aggressive for. That’s a shame….but that’s why you have to try for yourself as you never know.

On the bright side, if you put it on BST it will sell fast and you should be able to recoup most of your expense.

Mr. Shavington

Knows Hot Turkish Toilets
I don’t know if this is what you are feeling but the Athena does give strong feedback, which I believe is mainly sound but it can easily be misperceived as blade feel. It’s only after the shave that you find it has been gentle to your skin and there wasn’t nearly as much blade feel as it seemed. I’ve certainly seen reviews saying the razor has a lot of blade feel - especially when the razor first came out and people didn’t yet understand how it was working - but I think we’ve learned it isn’t so.

But of course it does have a sharp blade in it and you can still get irritation. I think much less so than most other razors, but you can. If you are actually experiencing irritation then perhaps you are pressing on too hard and/or you need to adapt to the weight of the head - try and use a lighter touch and move the razor along your skin rather than pushing into your skin.

I think that’s all I can suggest.

I wouldn't give up on it just yet. I've found it shaves most comfortably at a steep angle. The neutral angle -- or at least what I think is the neutral angle -- was not comfortable to me. Moreover, the steeper angle I found gave the loudest feedback. Sometimes it takes a few shaves to figure a razor out (for me it's always).

I don’t know if this is what you are feeling but the Athena does give strong feedback, which I believe is mainly sound but it can easily be misperceived as blade feel. It’s only after the shave that you find it has been gentle to your skin and there wasn’t nearly as much blade feel as it seemed. I’ve certainly seen reviews saying the razor has a lot of blade feel - especially when the razor first came out and people didn’t yet understand how it was working - but I think we’ve learned it isn’t so.

But of course it does have a sharp blade in it and you can still get irritation. I think much less so than most other razors, but you can. If you are actually experiencing irritation then perhaps you are pressing on too hard and/or you need to adapt to the weight of the head - try and use a lighter touch and move the razor along your skin rather than pushing into your skin.

I think that’s all I can suggest.
I typically just barely skim my razors on my skin. This one just feels like it's scraping and tugging a bit. It honestly feels like the blade chatters more than in a black bird. I'll try another blade today, perhaps I got a bad blade. But seems unlikely

I wouldn't give up on it just yet. I've found it shaves most comfortably at a steep angle. The neutral angle -- or at least what I think is the neutral angle -- was not comfortable to me. Moreover, the steeper angle I found gave the loudest feedback. Sometimes it takes a few shaves to figure a razor out (for me it's always).
Steeper as in riding the guard?

It's funny how different we all are... I find the Athena is at its loudest when I shave at a more neutral angle.... maybe just a tad towards steep... a few degrees or so. I don't pay close attention. I try to let the razors speak to me, if you will.
I do the same thing. Usually a razor will tell me what angle it works at best. The lambda just hurt. Lol. Like the blade was scraping my hairs instead of cutting

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I do the same thing. Usually a razor will tell me what angle it works at best. The lambda just hurt. Lol. Like the blade was scraping my hairs instead of cutting
I know this rarely happens... but I've had 3 or 4 dud blades so far... 3 Personna Comfort Coated and one Nacet. It happens.

I know the blade was the problem those times because I changed them out immediately... Problem solved. I only use a blade once and bin it.. with DE blades, that is. I get 3 out of my AC blades.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Lambda Athena 316L / Voshkod
AngryAthena.jpg

Was slightly angry at my wife and the Athena bit me in my Adam's apple, but only slightly as well. Divine warning? Or did I shave with the Lambda Xanthippe by accident? 😉

Top Bottom