What's new

Lambda Athena

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
It can as the material determines the weight of the razor and hence your ability to move it around and the amount of pressure you (have to) apply. And different metals have different maintenance activities. Design wise they are exactly the same. It’s like the Blackbird. Stainless is really good, but in Titanium it is absolutely stellar (according to reports as I only have the stainless).

Cheers,

Guido
Exactly correct.

Using the Blackbird example, I can attest to the fact that the SS Blackbird is a fantastic razor, but, the Ti version is on a whole different level. So good, in fact, that I seriously considered selling my SS. Thankfully, that thought passed.

I'll stick to bronze for the Athena. It is perfect as is.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
1000002095.jpg

On my scales the Masamune comes out at 88.2g and the Athena 118.4g. In hand I personally don't feel the difference but on paper it's clear.
The handling differences between the two are dramatically different in my hand. It's no secret that I don't bond with the Athena's handle, so take my preferences in that light, and not as an absolute.

When I first handled the Masamune (dry) I thought it would slip out of my hand, and it felt too thin.

In use however, it's as if it was custom made for my hand. When wet, the dimples improve the grip, and the overall weight balance is such that I whip it around with ease.

In contrast, balancing the Athena works (sort of) in some positions (top half of my face on my right side). When I go cross court on my left side I can't find the same balance point, and in handling it, I feel as if im going to drop it as I switch finger positions. In short, it feels awkward in my hand.

... Thom

Last edited:
The dimples on the Masamune are fantastic and so is the razor but let's not stray off topic. I was apprehensive re the highly polished handle however I have always felt fully in control and confident. Milage may vary.
Agreed, but "feel", "handling" and ergonomics (sense of control, etc.) isn't determined solely by absolute weight. It's worth both calling attention to as well as being the subject of it's own thread ;-)

In asking about hardware, folks are asking us to be their proxy, and answering their questions responsibly means anticipating what they'd like to know in addition to how they framed their question.

Back to my our regularly scheduled programming.

... Thom

I saw in several places in the thread that some participants in the discussion want a steel version, but I can't get it because it is not available on the manufacturer's site.
Here, it says there are 4 units of Lambda Athena SS available.

Making an important clarification that I have not used the services of this site and do not know how reliable it is.

I saw in several places in the thread that some participants in the discussion want a steel version, but I can't get it because it is not available on the manufacturer's site.
Here, it says there are 4 units of Lambda Athena SS available.

Making an important clarification that I have not used the services of this site and do not know how reliable it is.
Has anybody dealt with that site, do you know?
Maybe information for somebody that comes along and wants one.

Apparently this is a legit website with some Lambdas available.
this a perfect storm if you want a Lambda. Even though Lambda is out of stock, you can still get some , albeit at a higher price
The alternative is to put your name on the waitlist and hope Theo comes out soon.

So after 14 days and 14 shaves I have to say that the Athena is absolutely awesome. It is smooth, comfortable, and efficient. I had a couple weepers the first two days but none since. Every shave was BBS or DFS after three passes. Simply marvelous.

It might be my favorite razor but it’s tough for me to decide between it, the Brassbird Lite, and the brass Overlander.

I am going to start comparing the three to see if I can pick my favorite.

Here was today’s setup:
IMG_3885.jpeg

Have a blessed week everyone.

Top Bottom