What's new

lacerations

what is the main culprit behind cuts/lacerations? Drawing the blade is out so I am absolutely positive I don't do that. Any other possible causes?

what is the main culprit behind cuts/lacerations? Drawing the blade is out so I am absolutely positive I don't do that. Any other possible causes?

I don't think anyone is getting lacerations, but you are probably using too steep an angle with your razor, which is basically directing the edge into your skin instead of along the surface.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
When my razor is nice and sharp, just a slight hand shake when I place the edge on my face used to lead to bloodshed. Now I make my pass immediately upon placing edge to skin.

I make sure the spine of the blade touches my face before the blade. I slowly roll the blade on to my face before any stroke. Slow, no pressure and lots of lather. I prefer to make 3 no pressure passes than one careless drag across my face.

Of all of my past learnin-curve cuts I'd say a vast majority occurred as I was placing the edge on my face--before any forward stroke. I now am very focused on how I approach the skin, either initially or when coming back from a stroke to start again. I'd say any nick which was linear happened that way. Any single point nick was usually landscape related (pimple, bump, etc.) It's about the approach for me, and cuts (cuts or nicks)are a rare thing--weepers are more common and of no concern.

"Landings" is when I get cut the most. During the actual shave motions a dull edge cuts me more than a sharp edge.

my main problem with cuts is when one of the dogs decides daddy needs help in the bathroom *(i have 2 100lb+ rotweillers).... pookie is the worst offender and i can easily say has been the reason behind ~4 cuts.... dexter has caused 1 cut.....

i will be glad when we move to a new house that has a big bathroom... this one is like a closet and you have to leave the door open or suffocate...

my main problem with cuts is when one of the dogs decides daddy needs help in the bathroom *(i have 2 100lb+ rotweillers).... pookie is the worst offender and i can easily say has been the reason behind ~4 cuts.... dexter has caused 1 cut...quote]

reminds me several years ago I had 4 large dogs in the house, follow me where ever I went in the house. Like having a entourage with you. It got ridiculous at times. I had 3 Rhodesian Ridgebacks and one Weimaranar. They have sinced passed on but truly were my best friends.

I could only imagine the damage my English Mastiff could do if I let her roam free in every room. Bedrooms are off limits. She is allowed to walk through the kitchen but not linger. Living room is allowed if she isn't overly dirty or rather smell for that matter. She mostly hangs out in what should be a dinning room that we have emptied for her.

Not enough stretching gets me along with not picking the blade up enough off my face when I move over the the next place to shave.

my main problem with cuts is when one of the dogs decides daddy needs help in the bathroom

No doubt about it...dogs and straights don't mix. My 100lb+ Berner has caused more cuts over the past three years than anything I've done myself.

No doubt about it...dogs and straights don't mix. My 100lb+ Berner has caused more cuts over the past three years than anything I've done myself.

you guys are making me feel better about this.... i was seriously expecting a poopstorm of people calling me a idiot for not locking the door... *(which this post will now cause that poopstorm)

strop

Now half as wise
my main problem with cuts is when one of the dogs decides daddy needs help in the bathroom *(i have 2 100lb+ rotweillers).... pookie is the worst offender and i can easily say has been the reason behind ~4 cuts.... dexter has caused 1 cut.....

i will be glad when we move to a new house that has a big bathroom... this one is like a closet and you have to leave the door open or suffocate...

Lock the door!:lol::001_tt2::devil:

(poopstorm taken care of)

No way could I have even shaved with our lab around, let alone use a straight.

My cuts have come from thinking about my next angle, place to shave and touching my face before I was ready.

I agree with Kentos...start the blade moving just a hairs width off your face. Touching your face and then trying to adjust the angle, etc. is asking for trouble.

Mark

Top Bottom