What's new

La Faulx by Atelier Durdan Pass Around…..

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Yep, it's flat rate. It's on the technical page of all places. One of the reasons I am trying to get this right on the first try.
The good news is it isn't shipping via local post as well as the destination country postal service.... That can take "forever".

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Aaron, you know what kind of razors work well with my face and whiskers.... I would think, based on what you know, you'd need a bit more efficient razor than I do... But I thinking... Do we even have any razors in common? I am trying to remember.... Do you have a Timeless 0.95 in some version? I've posted this so many times, I forget with whom I've been chatting. The 0.68OC is efficient enough for me..... I now have three complete 0.68 razors... different weights and balances, as you know. I know you were part of that experiment, but I don't remember if you have a Timeless.

I have avoided both the Blackbird and Vector because I'm pretty sure they would be too efficient for me... the Lite plates have changed my views some.

Very interesting to read everyone's experiences and perspectives with the additional plates. I have been shaving with the classic plate since the original pass around here and elsewhere. In fact, my copy of the La Faulx is the copy from the B&B pass around. In my initial review of the La Faulx, I was not that enthralled because of the mild nature of the classic plate, especially when comparing it with the Vector's efficiency (my other AC razor at that time).

But once I started using the Feather Pro Super blade, it transformed my experience with the classic plate. And the La Faulx quickly became my favorite AC razor. While the combination of the classic and Pro Super may be a bit shy of the Vector on raw efficiency, I would humbly suggest that it can be nearly as effective, with a significant improvement in comfort and smoothness. And the addition of the Pro Super, in my opinion, has a modest impact on comfort and smoothness when compared with the classic plate and a conventional unguarded blade.

I have also been shaving with the ++ with a number of blade combinations, but not quite ready to make a definitive statement other than I do think the ++ resembles the Vector's efficiency, when using conventional (non Pro Super) unguarded blades. And, I have also experienced a tradeoff in post shave comfort between the ++ with a conventional unguarded blade versus the classic with Pro Super combination. And that tradeoff has sent me down a path of investigating guarded blades with the ++. That journey is slightly ironic because: I purchased the ++ seeking the equivalent or better efficiency of the classic /pro super combination, without being locked into a specific blade; and I normally prefer a fairly high efficiency razor for my beard profile.

While highly speculative, particularly since I only have the classic and ++, I am starting to wonder if the classic plus pro super combination might end up somewhere between a + and ++, using conventional non pro super blades.
Rocket1, i tried the Classic with the ProSuper. I found that shave to be very uncomfortable. Efficient, yes but uncomfortable. I don't find the degree of efficiency to be worth losing the comfort level. The Classic with the Kai Pink and Feather Pro were much better with the Kai winning on comfort and equal on efficiency to the Pro. The ++ with the Kai Guarded was far more efficient while not losing much efficiency, based on today's shave.

Flanders

Stupid sexy Wing Nut
Aaron, you know what kind of razors work well with my face and whiskers.... I would think, based on what you know, you'd need a bit more efficient razor than I do... But I thinking... Do we even have any razors in common? I am trying to remember.... Do you have a Timeless 0.95 in some version? I've posted this so many times, I forget with whom I've been chatting. The 0.68OC is efficient enough for me..... I now have three complete 0.68 razors... different weights and balances, as you know. I know you were part of that experiment, but I don't remember if you have a Timeless.

I have avoided both the Blackbird and Vector because I'm pretty sure they would be too efficient for me... the Lite plates have changed my views some.
I do have the Timeless 95, but I think you are right that we somehow don’t have any razors in common. That will be remedied this summer on my end.

Honestly, without even trying it, I bet the Vector Lite would give you something that you don’t already have. It’s a very interesting design from a functional standpoint and the Lite plate should tame it enough with the guarded blades. I can’t say the same for the Blackbird, even with the Lite plate it’s a step above your comfort level.

Rocket1, i tried the Classic with the ProSuper. I found that shave to be very uncomfortable. Efficient, yes but uncomfortable. I don't find the degree of efficiency to be worth losing the comfort level. The Classic with the Kai Pink and Feather Pro were much better with the Kai winning on comfort and equal on efficiency to the Pro. The ++ with the Kai Guarded was far more efficient while not losing much efficiency, based on today's shave.
I meant to say "The ++ with the Kai Guard blade was far more comfortable while not losing much efficiency."

Still the best and most enjoyable razor in my collection of both single edge and double edge razors. I currently have the machined stainless-steel version with classic base plate. It's an absolute joy to use and it delivers super smooth shaves every time. Zero skin irritation, excellent efficiency (to my expectations), and perfect balance with Alpha 316L stainless-steel Viper handle.

La Faulx and Pladin.JPG

Very mild, comfortable head shave tonight with a Kai Protouch MG and the classic plate. I think I need to buy a +-plate soon to see if that is the plate for me, where I can just rely on the different characteristics of the AC blades to change up the feel. My ++-plate isn't getting much use.

1000018746.jpg

I just ordered a + baseplate to go with my Classic. The La Faulx has become my Number One razor with the classic head, it may become untouchable with the + head. I may have to stop buying other razors!

My new + baseplate arrived at 7 pm this evening, already loaded for its first shave early in the morning. My only "complaint" so far (other than the shipping cost) is I wish they would have put the + marking on the underside of the baseplate so it could be seen without disassembling the razor.

20240522_190314.jpg

20240522_190654.jpg

Top Bottom