What's new

La Faulx by Atelier Durdan Pass Around…..

You guys aren't helping! 😁

Are you thinking of buying a Vector? if so get La Faulx++
If you need more efficiency get the plate +++
La Faulx is an extraordinary razor :c1:
Yeah, I guess that's the smart thing to do. I really want it more than a Vector now, I keep missing out getting one.

That said, the ++ can be manipulated a bit more than the others.
I do know what you are talking about, that sounds like the Henson aggressive.

If you want efficiency and comfort, the ++ and correct blade choice is your answer.
I want to be able to use the two blades mentioned above and the only concern is that those two aren't enough in the General... by a long shot. I don't want to have to use Feather Pros and certainly not Supers in a ++ plate! It sounds like I am just going to have to give it a go and try to sell the plate if it doesn't work out. The main concern is I am getting a polished stainless one and the per plate cost is as much as a whole razor from other companies.

You guys aren't helping! 😁

Yeah, I guess that's the smart thing to do. I really want it more than a Vector now, I keep missing out getting one.

I do know what you are talking about, that sounds like the Henson aggressive.

I want to be able to use the two blades mentioned above and the only concern is that those two aren't enough in the General... by a long shot. I don't want to have to use Feather Pros and certainly not Supers in a ++ plate! It sounds like I am just going to have to give it a go and try to sell the plate if it doesn't work out. The main concern is I am getting a polished stainless one and the per plate cost is as much as a whole razor from other companies.
I found the Feather Super too much in the ++, but the Pro was much more comfortable. There is blade feel with the Pro and with the Kai, but that should be expected since you are using a more aggressive plate. But that aggression is nothing to be concerned about with the Kai, Pro or a guarded blade. IMHO.

YMMV. I disagree Konrad. The Classic plate is excellent. The efficiency satisfaction will depend on the user. I found it extremely comfortable, but I like a more efficient shave without sacrificing comfort.
My opinion...read well
what is good for you is not good for me...it remains my personal opinion
I would never want to go below the plate + which I consider very gentle and effective, shave with protected blades with my eyes closed

Last edited:
My opinion...read well
what is good for you is not good for me...it remains my personal opinion
I would never want to go below the plate + which I consider very gentle and effective, shave with protected blades with my eyes closed

Broad generalization amigo. Your previous post did not clarify nor specifically state for "you and you alone." Correct that you are entitled to your opinion but, as gentlemen that we are here (most of us, at least), your opinion is solely subjective and the experience of uselessness is specific to you and you alone.

You're not wrong but, you aren't right neither.

Great shaves to you my friend. :straight:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I only have the Classic base plate. I've said too many times: The La Faulx in both premium polish bronze and polished stainless steel... might just be the best two razors I've ever used. I get 12 hour shaves with both of them, but in such a gentle, comfortable and smooth fashion. I know I don't have the most challenging beard, though my whiskers are old man, grey, coarse and fairly dense. I do a lot of skin prep and I'm sure that's also a factor.

Off and on, I think about adding a + plate. The ++ would be far too much for me, of that, I'm fairly confident. I mull it over...I haven't pulled the trigger for several reasons....The cost is probably at the top of the list. And I wonder...... will a + base plate make that much of a difference? I already have the La Faulx Classic at the very top of my Top Razor list and I have what I consider to be a small family of excellent razors. For me, of course.

I only have the Classic base plate. I've said too many times: The La Faulx in both premium polish bronze and polished stainless steel... might just be the best two razors I've ever used. I get 12 hour shaves with both of them, but in such a gentle, comfortable and smooth fashion. I know I don't have the most challenging beard, though my whiskers are old man, grey, coarse and fairly dense. I do a lot of skin prep and I'm sure that's also a factor.

Off and on, I think about adding a + plate. The ++ would be far too much for me, of that, I'm fairly confident. I mull it over...I haven't pulled the trigger for several reasons....The cost is probably at the top of the list. And I wonder...... will a + base plate make that much of a difference? I already have the La Faulx Classic at the very top of my Top Razor list and I have what I consider to be a small family of excellent razors. For me, of course.
You probably aren’t missing much by not having the + if the Classic is performing that well for you. I do find the + almost as smooth and comfy as the Classic but with noticeably better efficiency. The Classic just isn’t quite enough for me unfortunately as I do find it the most gentle razor I’ve ever experienced.

Having said all that the ++ is where it’s at for me and my beard…..the bomb ditty.

So far the one problem I have with the La Faulx ++ is I can't get those few whiskers snuggling up to my nose. WTG and XTG completely misses them. I'm not sure I want to risk trying ATG right up to the very edge of my nostrils. I do get fine ATG passes on my mustache but that last few mm's makes me a bit too apprehensive.

Other than that small issue I'm getting really comfortable, close shaves. Maybe not quite BBS results but I think my skin likes it that way. Tomorrow will be my last shave with the La Faulx as I switch to my hybrid Vector, SS head with Ti handle.

Very interesting to read everyone's experiences and perspectives with the additional plates. I have been shaving with the classic plate since the original pass around here and elsewhere. In fact, my copy of the La Faulx is the copy from the B&B pass around. In my initial review of the La Faulx, I was not that enthralled because of the mild nature of the classic plate, especially when comparing it with the Vector's efficiency (my other AC razor at that time).

But once I started using the Feather Pro Super blade, it transformed my experience with the classic plate. And the La Faulx quickly became my favorite AC razor. While the combination of the classic and Pro Super may be a bit shy of the Vector on raw efficiency, I would humbly suggest that it can be nearly as effective, with a significant improvement in comfort and smoothness. And the addition of the Pro Super, in my opinion, has a modest impact on comfort and smoothness when compared with the classic plate and a conventional unguarded blade.

I have also been shaving with the ++ with a number of blade combinations, but not quite ready to make a definitive statement other than I do think the ++ resembles the Vector's efficiency, when using conventional (non Pro Super) unguarded blades. And, I have also experienced a tradeoff in post shave comfort between the ++ with a conventional unguarded blade versus the classic with Pro Super combination. And that tradeoff has sent me down a path of investigating guarded blades with the ++. That journey is slightly ironic because: I purchased the ++ seeking the equivalent or better efficiency of the classic /pro super combination, without being locked into a specific blade; and I normally prefer a fairly high efficiency razor for my beard profile.

While highly speculative, particularly since I only have the classic and ++, I am starting to wonder if the classic plus pro super combination might end up somewhere between a + and ++, using conventional non pro super blades.

Broad generalization amigo. Your previous post did not clarify nor specifically state for "you and you alone." Correct that you are entitled to your opinion but, as gentlemen that we are here (most of us, at least), your opinion is solely subjective and the experience of uselessness is specific to you and you alone.

You're not wrong but, you aren't right neither.

Great shaves to you my friend. :straight:
I'm sorry...next time I'll start with "just for me"
I don't want to be right or wrong, it was a simple discussion... I don't support any product

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
So far the one problem I have with the La Faulx ++ is I can't get those few whiskers snuggling up to my nose. WTG and XTG completely misses them. I'm not sure I want to risk trying ATG right up to the very edge of my nostrils. I do get fine ATG passes on my mustache but that last few mm's makes me a bit too apprehensive.

Other than that small issue I'm getting really comfortable, close shaves. Maybe not quite BBS results but I think my skin likes it that way. Tomorrow will be my last shave with the La Faulx as I switch to my hybrid Vector, SS head with Ti handle.
I have a few very pesky whiskers that grow so close to my nose... I need a razor where the blade is very close to the ends... in the long dimension. That's why I use the Claymore Evolution around my nose with every shave... It gets them every time with zero effort. I use the Claymore Evo first... then do the rest of the shave with the other razor I've selected.

Doing this has opened up the enjoyment of so many razors that would struggle with those few whiskers.

While highly speculative, particularly since I only have the classic and ++, I am starting to wonder if the classic plus pro super combination might end up somewhere between a + and ++, using conventional non pro super blades.
This is very interesting and gets at something beyond measured blade exposure because a classic and Pro Super exceed even the +++ plate. What I have easily observed with the General and the Pro Super is that a reduction in blade gap due to the blade angle seems to be at least partly responsible for offsetting some of the additional exposure. I too am trying to find the equivalent of a mild plate and Pro Super without being locked into one blade and based on all these responses, it sounds like the ++ plate is it. I am also starting to become convinced that the +++ plate would be foolish(at least as a first plate).

My two favorite razors I have in my small collection are the WR2 0.95 and the Karve Overlander. I have owned several razors, but these two are the most comfortable and are perfect for my needs. I have read this thread with great interest, but still remain a little confused. I believe the classic plate is the plate I will enjoy most for my beard type—I don’t need Blackbird or Vector efficiency. Perhaps it’s been answered and I missed, but is the classic more efficient than the Overlander while also being more comfortable?? Comfort is always my top priority.

******** Perhaps it’s been answered and I missed, but is the classic more efficient than the Overlander while also being more comfortable?? Comfort is always my top priority.

My opinion is yes, the La Faulx Classic is definitely more efficient while being even more comfortable than the Overlander. I have the Overlander in stainless steel and it is one of my favorites even though it is a bit on the mild side. The La Faulx Classic is my number one razor but I admit that I have a La Faulx + head on order.

My opinion is yes, the La Faulx Classic is definitely more efficient while being even more comfortable than the Overlander. I have the Overlander in stainless steel and it is one of my favorites even though it is a bit on the mild side. The La Faulx Classic is my number one razor but I admit that I have a La Faulx + head on order.
Thank you for your feedback. I’ll be waiting to read with great interest your experience with the + plate. Hope you have many great shaves!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'll be staying tuned as well.... I already have two Classics as I mentioned but I am looking at the + base plate. It's a bit confusing because you have to select a gap. I emailed Augustin to see what I'm missing....

I'll be staying tuned as well.... I already have two Classics as I mentioned but I am looking at the + base plate. It's a bit confusing because you have to select a gap. I emailed Augustin to see what I'm missing....
My apologies if this is overly obvious, but by chance could you have inadvertently un selected (or not selected at all) the La Faulx image. I know I have caught myself doing that in the past. If you don't explicitly select it, it defaults to the Le Maurice options with gaps listed. Just including an image here for reference.

Screenshot 2024-05-13 at 2.15.17 PM.png

With all the discussion of the ++ plate and attached aggression, I thought I would go ahead an shave this afternoon with the ++ and the Kai Guarded blade.
The results surprised me. Using the guarded blade with this plate gave me a very comfortable and surprisingly efficient shave. Only 3 passes and slight buffing were needed and a BBS was achieved. The real test was the alum block application. This is where a very efficient shave will get me. Not so in this case. My opinion is that the La Faulx with ++ and a Kai Pink or Kai guarded version will achieve a remarkably efficient and comfortable shave. I have no idea if the Feather Pro guarded will give the same result. So far, the Feather blades and I are having an issue.
Just a caveat, when using the ++, a shallow angle works best, for me.
I am still not certain I will be buying the ++ or + plate since I own the Classic. Lots more testing is needed and that is the fun part.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
My apologies if this is overly obvious, but by chance could you have inadvertently un selected (or not selected at all) the La Faulx image. I know I have caught myself doing that in the past. If you don't explicitly select it, it defaults to the Le Maurice options with gaps listed. Just including an image here for reference.

View attachment 1845756
LOL... thx for the assist. That's exactly what I was doing... Thx again.

Top Bottom