What's new

Kudos to Sdm84!!! My straight razor home find.....

So I found a straight razor in good shape in a family box. I assume it was my grandfathers. So Sdm84 offered to hone and strop it. Even though I thought it was sharp enough I sent it down to him. I was wrong! He sent it back and wow! I was almost scared to use it!

Tonight I straight razor shaved for the first time. I used Razorock The Dead Sea and followed it up with Razorock Tuscan Oud aftershave. As predicted the shave did not go perfectly. I had a three day beard growing and my whiskers are like spikes-not soft at all. I'm right handed so I shaved pretty good on my left cheek. Trying to shave my right cheek with my worthless left hand is going to be a struggle. I had two minor weepers and no cuts. I had to finish the shave with my DE razor. This is going to be a steep learning curve...I think I should shave more often than twice a week before work because my whiskers are so tough. What do you think?

Thx Sdm84 for opening this new door in wet shaving!

First! Congratulations on the family razor!!!! Have you watch many videos on Shaving with a straight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on all counts....not to worry as it takes time, practice and patience. Just start out with the cheeks, once all is good, move to the neck etc....before you know it, it will all come together.

Stay the course, use your DE etc when needed and dont feel guilty of you have too...

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Congratulations on your rescuing a family heirloom. Patience and practice and yes, shave more when you are not rushed.

Also do you have a strop to maintain the edge?

I think it's difficult to shave left cheek with right hand and left hand to shave right cheek. I use right hand to shave right cheek and left hand to shave left cheek. Maybe I missed something here?

Glad to hear Owen got you up and running with your find! Keep with it, it will get easier and be very rewarding once it all falls into place.

It was a pleasure and an honor to work on your heirloom blade. Thanks so much for trusting me with it. It is a very nice vintage American blade that will give you great shaves for the rest of your life. There is very little hone wear on the spine and it took an edge easily.

Most of us start with just the cheeks- right cheek right hand if you are right handed. Believe it or not the left hand comes along easier than you think but no harm in shaving your whole face with your right hand. Your face your razor your shave :)

Remember very light feather touch let the razor do the work and shave the lather not the skin. Keep the spine close to your face about two spine widths for the angle any more than that and you are very likely to get cut. Watch the spine in the mirror as you move across the skin so that you don't get too steep especially around the bottom of the chin.

Watch some good YouTube vids and ask questions here in the forum on the straight razor threads. Everyone will help and support you :)

If I can ever be of help to you again don't hesitate to ask!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations,@jay29, I'm fairly need to straights myself and loving every minute of my shaves. I have nothing to add to the advice already given but I will say this this is a great group of people who are very helpful.

If possible give us a picture of the nice heirloom razor

I'm currently searching for vintage American razors now such as the hardware store razors and JR TORREY, SHUMATE,
LFC,MAHER&GROSH

@jay29 Congratulations on your first shave with your Grandfathers Razor, and hope many more to come Nothing to add to what's been said above apart from one. you really need to take a photo and post in here to show it off in all it's Glory.

We love eye candy

Thx for all the advice!
IMG_0138.JPG
IMG_0139.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0140.JPG
    IMG_0140.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0137.JPG
    IMG_0137.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 11
So I shaved this AM after a shower. Much more successful than the last time. I used Razorock Smdf. What a great scent and shave! One minor weeper and much more area shaved. Next is using Razorock Don Marco...

Another great shave and with no weepers. I only did a with the grain shave with Razorock Don Marco. That has a great scent!!! Tomorrow night I will shave with Razorock Caribbean Holiday and do a two pass shave, with the grain and across the grain. I need to buy a strop......

I might retire my DE razor if things keep going well..........

Top Bottom