What's new

Korean BBQ at home

I did a Korean BBQ a couple weeks ago.

I did the Galbi in the oven this time, I think I could do better. I preheated the oven on bake to 400f just to get it hot, with the baking sheet in the oven. Then when it got to temp I switched to broil at 550f and put the beef in on the preheated sheet. I didn't get the finish I quite wanted on them, but they still came out tasty.

I marinated the LA Galbi/beef short rib with a pretty traditional marinade including grated Asian pear, which is kinda the secret.

Glazed potatoes, Gochugaru fresh cucumber salad, quick pickled carrots and diakon, wilted sesame spinach.

I did a couple of the sauces too, but cheated on the ssamjang. I have containers of gochujang paste, doenjang and ssamjang... So why not.

The best part was reheating the Galbi. I used a torch. It was perfect! I have a video, but haven't uploaded it anywhere yet.

Attachments

• 20240204_130417.jpg
    20240204_130417.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • 20240201_193412.jpg
    20240201_193412.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • 20240131_144617.jpg
    20240131_144617.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • 20240131_141215.jpg
    20240131_141215.jpg
    949.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240131_135005.jpg
    20240131_135005.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 4
  • 20240131_133241.jpg
    20240131_133241.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • 20240201_165107.jpg
    20240201_165107.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • 20240201_170335.jpg
    20240201_170335.jpg
    873.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240204_130408.jpg
    20240204_130408.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
We are fans of Korean food in our house. I have a round Korean BBQ grill plate that is used on a one burner butane stove. We have to drive a little ways to the closest H Mart. Yet it’s worth the drive.
View attachment 1802882View attachment 1802883View attachment 1802884
Awesome!

I had been doing it with the single burner butane on a cast iron griddle. Kinda lost some stuff in a breakup hence just using a broiler for now.

I'm quite interested in your grill plate.

I've seen a couple, but never went in for one. But it looks like it works well for you! I may have to get my hands on one.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I did a Korean BBQ a couple weeks ago.

I did the Galbi in the oven this time, I think I could do better. I preheated the oven on bake to 400f just to get it hot, with the baking sheet in the oven. Then when it got to temp I switched to broil at 550f and put the beef in on the preheated sheet. I didn't get the finish I quite wanted on them, but they still came out tasty.

I marinated the LA Galbi/beef short rib with a pretty traditional marinade including grated Asian pear, which is kinda the secret.

Glazed potatoes, Gochugaru fresh cucumber salad, quick pickled carrots and diakon, wilted sesame spinach.

I did a couple of the sauces too, but cheated on the ssamjang. I have containers of gochujang paste, doenjang and ssamjang... So why not.

The best part was reheating the Galbi. I used a torch. It was perfect! I have a video, but haven't uploaded it anywhere yet.

We are fans of Korean food in our house. I have a round Korean BBQ grill plate that is used on a one burner butane stove. We have to drive a little ways to the closest H Mart. Yet it’s worth the drive.
View attachment 1802882View attachment 1802883View attachment 1802884
Altreac & Buster:
proxy.php
Awesome spreads you have! :drool:

proxy.php
"집에 와서 한국식 바비큐를 먹는 것만큼 좋은 건 없어요." ("There’s nothing like coming home to a Korean barbecue".) Author Unknown

Awesome!

I had been doing it with the single burner butane on a cast iron griddle. Kinda lost some stuff in a breakup hence just using a broiler for now.

I'm quite interested in your grill plate.

I've seen a couple, but never went in for one. But it looks like it works well for you! I may have to get my hands on one.
This is the grill pan I have. It has a drain hole that I put a rice bowl under to catch the grease. The first time i used it I was unsure but it cleans up nice and easy. I would recommend it . I have a Gas One single burner butane stove that was very inexpensive and has lasted years. I have a couple Techef sauté pans “Flower series “ that last a decent time for a non stick pan.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Not Korean "barbecue" per se but last night I made dak-kkochi (marinated skewers of grilled chicken). It is an absolute miracle that we can eat gochujang in small quantities now! Still leery of the gochugaru, though.

We had it with some totally non-Korean slow-cooked apple and red cabbage, and it worked pretty well.

O.H.

We have a portable butane stove and an iron grill but have been very hesitant to use it in the dining area. We did shabu once but it’s still stuck in the back of my mind of the grease and steam that traveled to the ceiling.

We really wanted to put an exhaust over the dining area so we can do shabu shabu or kbbq. I keep seeing advertisement for table top air cleaners; any of you guys have experience with one of those.

There’s a place in Los Angeles that does a duck Korean bbq, after you’re done eating your meats they take the drippings and make a fried rice. :001_tt1:

If you’re interested in some light hearted foodie entertainment check out this YouTube channel. They have lots of videos that go back years. British guys introducing Korean food and culture to English high school students, football teams,priests, taxi drivers and my favorite British rappers. Warning this YouTube channel will make you hungry.

This is the grill pan I have. It has a drain hole that I put a rice bowl under to catch the grease. The first time i used it I was unsure but it cleans up nice and easy. I would recommend it . I have a Gas One single burner butane stove that was very inexpensive and has lasted years. I have a couple Techef sauté pans “Flower series “ that last a decent time for a non stick pan.
Thanks for the link!

We have a portable butane stove and an iron grill but have been very hesitant to use it in the dining area. We did shabu once but it’s still stuck in the back of my mind of the grease and steam that traveled to the ceiling.

We really wanted to put an exhaust over the dining area so we can do shabu shabu or kbbq. I keep seeing advertisement for table top air cleaners; any of you guys have experience with one of those.

There’s a place in Los Angeles that does a duck Korean bbq, after you’re done eating your meats they take the drippings and make a fried rice. :001_tt1:

Sorry! I can't help here. I kinda like playing with hot things.

I even got formally trained in blacksmithing, so along with being ex-army... From explosives to coal and propane forging...

You gotta be careful, no doubt.

But a standard fan to circulate air and you should be fine if you run your stove hood vent and bathroom exhaust fan. And scrape the grill off between sets if you don't have a fancy grill.

I used a bench scraper and water to clean my cast iron griddle between loads.

I really am looking at the grill linked here though for sure.

If you go all mise en place for dealing will the grill grease, it's not terrible.

I never set off my smoke detector.

2 fans can work as a simple extractor. Just the little table usb ones. Use one on a battery pack to send the smoke towards a window, then a second one sucking air out the window. Circulating air with an exhaust fan generally works so long as you're managing your fire hazards.

Not Korean "barbecue" per se but last night I made dak-kkochi (marinated skewers of grilled chicken). It is an absolute miracle that we can eat gochujang in small quantities now! Still leery of the gochugaru, though.

We had it with some totally non-Korean slow-cooked apple and red cabbage, and it worked pretty well.

O.H.
Isn't Gochujang made from a lot of the same stuff as Gochugaru?

One is the dry powder of the chili where the other is a fermented paste, but I thought they were the same base ingredients.

Curious if what's in my head is accurate or not.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Isn't Gochujang made from a lot of the same stuff as Gochugaru?

One is the dry powder of the chili where the other is a fermented paste, but I thought they were the same base ingredients.

Curious if what's in my head is accurate or not.

I think that's fairly correct. As I think of it gochujang is made with gochugaru. At least, the sack of gochugaru I have lists only peppers as the ingredient, along with some salt. I wanted unsalted, but this is what I can get here. Then I also see instructions here and there for adding other ingredients to your gochujang paste to make gochujang. (shrug) At the moment Korean cooking is a bit of a mystery to me. I'll spend some time with it and it'll begin to make sense eventually.

O.H.

We only do the K BBQ outside when the weather is nice. I think there are some electric grill pans that are made to use inside the house?

Top Bottom