What's new

Knockaround Watch

*** is up with some of you calling $200+ watches "knockarounds"? Egad, y'all need to buy some more razors.....

I just picked up one of these as my knockaround:
Just a basic Casio with Time, Date, 200M water resist and LED illumination. $50. (The LED Illumination is VERY Bright -- I've used it as a flashlight!)
proxy.php

My dress watch is a Citizen Navihawk Chronograph
proxy.php

I've been thinking about getting one of these Timex GMT World Time watches. I'd like to have the GMT hand for use in amateur radio log keeping.

proxy.php

Here's a review: http://www.epinions.com/content_250887966340 My only cevat is it's a quartz watch. I would prefer an auto-winder or a manual winder, but the price for one is currently out of my reach.

Until then, I'm wearing an old Radium dialed stainless steel Avalon waterproof manual winder. I don't know how old it is, but it keeps good time. My good watch is usually a Seiko dual time that was not supposed to make it into the US. My parents bought it for me for my birthday some time in my teenage years.

I had inhereted a nice old gold Hamilton that I REALLy liked, but it was stolen from my home during a robbery. I believe I have a gold plate Bulova lying around that I don't like very much. I wish they got that one instead of my Hamilton.

My two favorite goto watches. Timex all the way for me baby! The one with the black band is my favorite, Timex Field Chrono I had for 8 years now. The other is a Timex, unknown model that I picked up from ebay, had it for 3 years now. I like it 'cause it's nice and heavy.
Ernest

proxy.php

Big E i really like the field chrono -- do you have a model number? probably not made any more but i can look for one.

anyone know a good place to purchase the seiko 5s?

V

VR6ofpain

I agree Swiss Army makes excellent watches, sold at knock around prices. Don't confuse Swiss Army (Victornox) with Swiss Military. Swiss Military is junk in comparision.
Here is a photo of my Ambassador:

proxy.php

(I paid less than half of the retail price)

Big E i really like the field chrono -- do you have a model number? probably not made any more but i can look for one.

No I don't. I even tried to look it up to get anoher one as I gift but didn't find one on their site. It was a short while back when I got it.
Ernest

No I don't. I even tried to look it up to get anoher one as I gift but didn't find one on their site. It was a short while back when I got it.
Ernest

Why don't you just buy insurance on your Omega?

I've done that for my Rolex as a rider on my home insurance.

All you need is an appraisal from a jeweller, take it to your insurance company, and you're done.

It's a small price to pay to wear a watch I love, worry free, all the time.

I admit that the chronographs look cool, for lack of a better word, but what does a normal person need all that stuff for??

Ummm...
Actually, while "that stuff" around the dial is mostly pilot-oriented, you can do some terrestrial calculations with it -- time/distance, figure out fuel usage, etc. But the electronic functions are more like a regular watch -- multiple alarms, countdown timer, stopwatch, etc. Being able to display two timezones plus GMT is handy occasionally in my job (Computers & IT) when I'm trying to keep track of a far-flung employee's local time and how far off of GMT and my local time he is.

But yeah, who am I fooling? It mostly looks cool. :cool:

I've been thinking about getting a decent watch for sometime, and after this thread I couldn't resist any longer. Just bought a Seiko SNK809K1, and plan to replace the steel bracelet for a black or brown leather strap with contrast stitching.

Top Bottom