What's new

KITCHEN KNIFE BUY lV****CLOSED****

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
I think I first fell in love with Dave's handle work when I saw this figured English Sycamore handle with mosaic pins that he did for the "Saint" Sue Moore Memorial Charity Auction back in the fall of 2012.

full

full

Getting a Gyuto and/or a Santoku is something I've been thinking about doing for a long time. Getting one with a custom handle and mosaic pins would be on my bucket list if I had a bucket list.

I still couldn't quite decide between the Gyuto or the Santoku..... so in the end I decide to order both (Thank You 'larger than expected tax refund').
proxy.php

Last edited by a moderator:
According to some of the Japanese blacksmiths, Santoku's are the more preffered in Japanese preparation. The gyuto really is a western knife that's just made in Japan.

Legion

Staff member
According to some of the Japanese blacksmiths, Santoku's are the more preffered in Japanese preparation. The gyuto really is a western knife that's just made in Japan.

I really like the Santoku shape, and find it about the best "jack of all trades" shape there is. If you wanted one knife to rule them all, that would be my choice.

Couldnt resist, I have been looking for a good all rounder knife in my kitchen for a long long time, a 240 performance pkg Gyoto for me should do the trick. just couldnt let this one pass me by

I'll be in once I decide on another 240 or to go bigger with a 270. I have been wanting a Aogami Super blade for a while. I'd love a nicer handle but if I use it for work I'm inclined to not get a nice piece of wood with it. Granted I have some sample blades and stabilized burls I'll be playing on my own.

Decisions, decisions.

What is the weight of a performance package 240? Spine width and height? I know what shows up won't be exactly as you quote but I'm just wondering about how it compares to my current laser-ish set up.

Last edited:
I'll be in once I decide on another 240 or to go bigger with a 270. I have been wanting a Aogami Super blade for a while. I'd love a nicer handle but if I use it for work I'm inclined to not get a nice piece of wood with it. Granted I have some sample blades and stabilized burls I'll be playing on my own.

Decisions, decisions.

What is the weight of a performance package 240? Spine width and height? I know what shows up won't be exactly as you quote but I'm just wondering about how it compares to my current laser-ish set up.

Hi John, unfortunately I never measured the knives I've thinned so I can't offer this information.

Is the bevel on the knives 50/50 and if not, can the bevel be modified for us lefties?

All Japanese knives are asymmetrical (the whole blade is - not just the edge), and unless otherwise stated, are assumed to be made for righties. Hiromoto AS knives are right hand bias with a ratio of about 70/30 (leaning towards 80/20) meaning they are very asymmetric.

The best I could do would be to grind the blade and edge more towards lefty-ness but the truth is that this knife will never be really good for a lefty.

These are very nice offerings. If I didn't already have enough cutlery to supply an entire global cuisine cooking institution, I'd be sorely tempted.
To the B&Ber who wanted to talk the wife into returning the Roomba, shouldn't be hard once she figures out it takes longer to clean out the darned thing than sweep the floor in the first place.
Paint can opener, ha, I've seen worse. I caught a dishwasher using my tako-hiki to cut up cardboard boxes. I managed to stop a friend from using my Nakiri to chop lamb rib bones!

OH I forgot the guy who snapped my 14" Sabatier off right at the handle in a friggin' wheel of Grana Padano. He took it out of the case that had the Parmesan knife right in there. He had to go to the hospital for stitches.

OH I forgot the guy who snapped my 14" Sabatier off right at the handle in a friggin' wheel of Grana Padano. He took it out of the case that had the Parmesan knife right in there. He had to go to the hospital for stitches.
Stitches from the broken knife? Or was it after you had finished with him? :)

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Is the bevel on the knives 50/50 and if not, can the bevel be modified for us lefties?

I'm not only lefthanded, I'm probably the most lefthanded guy on the planet, and I've used this knife for many years without a problem. The handedness really only matters with true single bevel knives.

I'm not only lefthanded, I'm probably the most lefthanded guy on the planet, and I've used this knife for many years without a problem. The handedness really only matters with true single bevel knives.

Well that's promising to hear.

Top Bottom