What's new

Kevdogg's inspirational Weight Loss thread

You know Kev...I'm doing the MFP thing too...I really believe you have to look at your totals over the week and have more good days than bad...you know some days are going to be bad just so long as you have a preponderance of good days...I'm specifically talking about the nutrition tab and looking at the weekly read outs vs daily....because this is a long battle, not a short war

You know Kev...I'm doing the MFP thing too...I really believe you have to look at your totals over the week and have more good days than bad...you know some days are going to be bad just so long as you have a preponderance of good days...I'm specifically talking about the nutrition tab and looking at the weekly read outs vs daily....because this is a long battle, not a short war

Well said, Chris. Kev, you should still look to see why you're over and if there is a consistent explanation (besides ingesting too many calories). Is it stress eating, too much junk food around the house, eating when you're bored (my downfall), late night fast food runs, etc? Once you pinpoint the cause, you can develop a stategy for dealing with it. Or, it could be that some days, the meals are just worth the extra calories, which is fine as long as you recognize you need to be careful the next day. In that case, Chris's advice is spot on.

Well said, Chris. Kev, you should still look to see why you're over and if there is a consistent explanation (besides ingesting too many calories). Is it stress eating, too much junk food around the house, eating when you're bored (my downfall), late night fast food runs, etc? Once you pinpoint the cause, you can develop a stategy for dealing with it. Or, it could be that some days, the meals are just worth the extra calories, which is fine as long as you recognize you need to be careful the next day. In that case, Chris's advice is spot on.

Yesterday was market day, and it was from eating food prepared out of home.

Have you tried pureed cauliflower in place of the potatoes? You boil the cauliflower, put them in a food processor with some of the water from boiling, add some olive oil to give them creaminess, salt pepper and cumin. You might be surprised at how good they are.

Have you tried pureed cauliflower in place of the potatoes? You boil the cauliflower, put them in a food processor with some of the water from boiling, add some olive oil to give them creaminess, salt pepper and cumin. You might be surprised at how good they are.
^^^This is excellent!^^^ we do lots of cauliflower at our house, low glycemic index food.

You could also use real butter instead of olive oil, oregano/dill/garlic for seasons.

If you don't have a food processor for around $7 you can get a hand masher from the kitchen ware section. It's what I use, and you get a small workout. Or very carefully use your electric mixer.

On to the potatoes... Throw away the instant box stuff. All the nutritional value was long lost during the processing. Your probably better off eating the box they came in. If you need spuds in your diet (you should get away from them and starches) get a bag of real potatoes. You can do them up more ways, get more for your money, and the nutritional value is still there.

We were using up food that we had already had on hand. I did not see new boxes of instant potatoes come into the home on market day. I saw 3 bags of real potatoes :). Since we don't have the $$ to throw food out because it is not the best for you, we are trying to use it up as we go. I will say there was very little junk food brought into the home this time, as I looked hard for it as I was craving sweets last night, and did not find any, just a bag of chips.

Yesterday's totals:

2,922 of 3100.

As far as cauliflower goes, I just cannot bring myself to try it for some reason. We do have a food processor and blender in the house somewhere. My wife has a menu layed out and is planning to stick to it, which means less fast food trips :thumbup:. Food prepared at home saves me ~500 calories a meal :thumbup:

We were using up food that we had already had on hand. I did not see new boxes of instant potatoes come into the home on market day. I saw 3 bags of real potatoes :). Since we don't have the $$ to throw food out because it is not the best for you, we are trying to use it up as we go. I will say there was very little junk food brought into the home this time, as I looked hard for it as I was craving sweets last night, and did not find any, just a bag of chips.

Yesterday's totals:

2,922 of 3100.

As far as cauliflower goes, I just cannot bring myself to try it for some reason. We do have a food processor and blender in the house somewhere. My wife has a menu layed out and is planning to stick to it, which means less fast food trips :thumbup:. Food prepared at home saves me ~500 calories a meal :thumbup:

Keep it up brother! But don't give up on the cauliflower! I hated it as a kid...despised actually. Then someone prepared it as mentioned above and it's awesome!

Don't knock it til you try it!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

I'm assuming that is was SWMBO who bought and brought the food ... and ... kudos to her for getting on board with that. She's come in for some criticism here from time to time, but ... looks like things are going well.

As far as cauliflower goes, I just cannot bring myself to try it for some reason. We do have a food processor and blender in the house somewhere. My wife has a menu layed out and is planning to stick to it, which means less fast food trips

Dude, I hear ya!!

I have spent decades seeing cauliflower as a needless, pointless and tasteless vegetable. IF covered in molten cheddar it becomes a decent cheese-delivery system, but ... otherwise. Blech.

A couple years ago SWMBO planted some in our backyard garden, much to my chagrin. Happy wife = happy life so I didn't "accidentally" weed them out and ... dang, they are tasty. The store bought ones are still as tasteless as the giant cardboard strawberries that come from California (dude, don't take the "straw" part so literally!!), but home-grown is great.

I will say there was very little junk food brought into the home this time, as I looked hard for it as I was craving sweets last night, and did not find any, just a bag of chips.

Try honey. Sweet so it will satisfy your craving for sweet AND it is good for you especially if you get local honey as it has stuff in it that will help you fight allergies to local plants. Bees are your friend. Help them out. Eat honey often $smiley-char102.gif

Use honey in your coffee and tea in place of refined sugar. If you MUST use sugar get cane not beet sugar.

As far as cauliflower goes, I just cannot bring myself to try it for some reason.

It's good stuff. One of the few veggies I enjoy eating raw. Give it a shot sometime

Cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, onions....tossed with some olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic. Then bake in a 400-425 degree oven for about 30 minutes or so until the veggies start to brown. The veggies get roasty and awesome, and they are good for you!

Cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, onions....tossed with some olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic. Then bake in a 400-425 degree oven for about 30 minutes or so until the veggies start to brown. The veggies get roasty and awesome, and they are good for you!

Yum!

Good job kev! Glad the shopping trip went well. Even better the wife has meals planned for you both. Having her in your corner is gonna make it so much easier. Congratulate the wife from all of us.

I dug out one of my nutrition books so I could post a list of low glycemic index veggies. Hopefully these don't sound gross, and we can all give you ideas on how to prepare any of them.

Low glycemic veggies and stuff:
Asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, cucumber, chickpeas, black eyed peas, fresh cooked kidney beans (not canned), yellow or green beans, peppers, peanuts, summer squash, zucchini, spinach and salad greens, green/red/Chinese (bok choy) cabbage, yogurt/milk.

The principal behind low G.I. food is that it keeps you full longer. Hopefully this gives you a good starting point for landing better options on your plate and snacks.

Yesterday was 2992 of 3100. Also got to the gym last night and did 15 min on treadmill, and 30 on a nordic trac type:thumbup: machine

Good job kev! Glad the shopping trip went well. Even better the wife has meals planned for you both. Having her in your corner is gonna make it so much easier. Congratulate the wife from all of us.

I dug out one of my nutrition books so I could post a list of low glycemic index veggies. Hopefully these don't sound gross, and we can all give you ideas on how to prepare any of them.

Low glycemic veggies and stuff:
Asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, cucumber, chickpeas, black eyed peas, fresh cooked kidney beans (not canned), yellow or green beans, peppers, peanuts, summer squash, zucchini, spinach and salad greens, green/red/Chinese (bok choy) cabbage, yogurt/milk.

The principal behind low G.I. food is that it keeps you full longer. Hopefully this gives you a good starting point for landing better options on your plate and snacks.

appreciate the encouragement.

I was looking at your list, and honestly most sound gross to me. I will eat cucumbers every once in a while, peanuts, uncooked spinach, and vanuilla yougurt, and milk. The rest of the list I do not care for.

Last edited:
appreciate the encouragement.

I was looking at your list, and honestly most sound gross to me. I will eat cucumbers every once in a while, peanuts, uncooked spinach, and vanuilla yougurt, and milk. The rest of the list I do not care for.

It is all in the preparation. You can eat mud if it has the right sauce over it :yesnod:

Pick a veggie you don't like and I am sure you will get some killer recipes to make ti one of your faves.

Kev,

I've found a mandolin can make just about any veggy palatable, something about shredding changes the texture. A popular meal in my house is carrots, sweet potatoes/yams, zucchini, squash, shredded on a mandolin, broken up cauliflour, chopped onion, and crushed garlic, mixed with a bit of oil, various spices to suit you tastes and a couple eggs or a bit of cheese to hold it all together. Bake in a casserole dish until crispy on top. Makes a good side or an ok main, tasty, filling, nutritious, and cheap. You could easily change the spices and add other veggies to it too. Plus you can prepare a ton of it in one go (I tend to make a large amount of something Sunday night and then eat it for a couple dinners and a few lunches throughout the week. The mandolin is also great for sneaking more veggies into salads and other dishes.

I also find thin and wide lengthwise slices of zucchini make a good pasta substitute.

Stirfries are also a common meal in my house, the trick is to not overcook the veggies so they still have some crunch I find. This week I made one with a chicken breast, a pack of tofu, 2 eggs, onion, green and red pepper, zucchini, 3 carrots, bok choi and a bit of oil. sauce was terriyaki, orange juice, water, chilli flakes and worchestershire sauce. It ended up being very low calorie for how large and filling the servings were and less than $10 (I even used free-run chicken) has gotten me 4 meals so far with at least 2 more left [I think Canadian grocery prices are probably higher than American].

I'll try to reduce to writing some more of my healthier recipes for you, do you like soups and stews? What about curry? What about seafood (frozen shrimp, scallops, haddock etc.) do you like it and is it in your budget?

Top Bottom