What's new

Kanoyama Suede vs Canvas

Hi gents

I will soon get a 80000 which comes with canvas. I am used to the suede on a #3 and confess canvas doesn't excite me that much.

Any advise in regard ? Comparison ?

Tks in advance

Hi gents

I will soon get a 80000 which comes with canvas. I am used to the suede on a #3 and confess canvas doesn't excite me that much.

Any advise in regard ? Comparison ?

Tks in advance

I only use the suede for cleaning drying the blade post shave. The Kanoyama canvas is excellent. I use it daily and like it a lot. I don't think the suede helps the keenness of the edge, but I find the canvas bumps it up. YMMV

Tks !
Is it a headache to breake the fibers and smooth it down ?

Not especially. I folded it back on itself and rolled it back and forth several time before putting it to use. I do not like it as well as genuine flax linen, but it is close.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I only use the suede for cleaning drying the blade post shave. The Kanoyama canvas is excellent. I use it daily and like it a lot. I don't think the suede helps the keenness of the edge, but I find the canvas bumps it up. YMMV
I agree

I picked up a #3 sized canvas as a separate. Practically stood on end, requiring some work to make it useable. Now I love it.

Tks !
Is it a headache to breake the fibers and smooth it down ?

No need to break in. I have been using mine for pushing 2 years and it's still as stiff as a board and looks just like it did when new. I actually have 3 of them now. Hold it taught and strop very lightly (weight of the blade) and it works like a charm.

Agree with Ronnie, I didn't break my canvas in. The thought of the process that some use and also recommended from A-frame seemed a bit much for my attention span.
Breaking in naturally works fine though it takes a very long time to lose that squirrelly skating on ice feeling.
Very light strokes when you feel the edge needs a little oohmp does work miraculously. I only do about ten laps. I wouldn't recommend using it "consistently" on a well honed edge, just when needed.
Three piece Kanayamas are a great tool in your arsenal. Can you get by without, absolutely, but where's the fun in that [emoji6]

~Royce

... The thought of the process that some use and also recommended from A-frame seemed a bit much for my attention span.....
~Royce

Although the canvas has been around for many years, Aframes just posted this "break in" process a few months ago. I believe it was more in response to complaints about the 'stiff canvas' than a real need for such measures. IMHO, YMMV

Well Gents

Patience is not the best of my virtues (never got any by the :) way...:)) so I can't wait getting my new strops !!!

Reason why I bought a couple of ones is because I damaged my #3 (yes ! 18 months of daily use and still a Padawan....)

Also,Takeshi San told me Naomi sensei is very old and thinks this job will disappear with him sooner or later unfortunately. So...what other choice than storing Kanoyamas? Sort of contingency plan :)....

One question though since your precious advises fed my curiosity: provided I'll break it in as per the video, will I get the same performance than a non broken one ? Sorry for the naive questions and best from Tokyo

I think the strop got better after breaking it in. I have a "lake" style bed frame, which is a metal rod head and foot board. The there are horizontal metal rods of 2 different diameters. I held the strop at each end and rubbed it back and forth on each, on both sides of the strop. I think breaking or loosening the fibers up a bit allows for a bit more consistent contact at the edge.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Although the canvas has been around for many years, Aframes just posted this "break in" process a few months ago. I believe it was more in response to complaints about the 'stiff canvas' than a real need for such measures. IMHO, YMMV
Ronnie, I believe it was just one incident where a customer claims to have chipped his edge on the canvas that made Takeshi post that break in process. I have 5-6 here. Some I used right out of the box and some I tried to break in first. It works just fine either way IME.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/469675-Did-the-Kanayama-canvas-change

Ronnie, I believe it was just one incident where a customer claims to have chipped his edge on the canvas that made Takeshi post that break in process. I have 5-6 here. Some I used right out of the box and some I tried to break in first. It works just fine either way IME.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/469675-Did-the-Kanayama-canvas-change

I'm sure you are correct David. Mango's question was generally, is it necessar to "break it in" and I think we agree that it is not. I also have several, but haven't even tried to break any in as I fear it won't perform as well. I get great results from the stiff canvas. Mileage varies for everyone. :wink2:

Top Bottom