What's new

Kanayama strops - what's the deal?

I thought my Kanayama was too old and ill to make strops anymore? I know JimR at Eastern smooth stopped getting strops because the quality had slipped. What's changed?
That aside I have a 55000 and a 90000 both great strops. I like others hate the linen and am thinking of trying to get Torolf at scrupleworks to fit his linen to my kanayama as that is the best secondary element to a strop I have ever felt........on that subject if you need a new strop you could do a lot worse than Torolfs strops. The 2.5" veg tanned horsehide is a thing of beauty.........

I bought a #3 as did my son and both are without flaw (according to my son- I have not seen his strop). I also read about Jim no longer selling them due to the decline in quality but that is not apparent in these two cases; if they were any better they would make coffee in the morning before I got up.

By the way, the name of the company is Kanoyama but the stamp used on the strops is misspeled Kanayama. And the maker is named Mr. Naomi. I have a photo of the gentleman sitting on the floor with a full horse shell in front of him; I would like to think that is my strop in there but that might not be the case :)

Brian

I thought my Kanayama was too old and ill to make strops anymore? I know JimR at Eastern smooth stopped getting strops because the quality had slipped. What's changed?
That aside I have a 55000 and a 90000 both great strops. I like others hate the linen and am thinking of trying to get Torolf at scrupleworks to fit his linen to my kanayama as that is the best secondary element to a strop I have ever felt........on that subject if you need a new strop you could do a lot worse than Torolfs strops. The 2.5" veg tanned horsehide is a thing of beauty.........

Mr Naomi will probably be making strops for about 2 more years then he'll retire.
As of last year - there was no one to take over his business.

Possibly, but it's also what Mr. Naomi said himself in 2012. He wanted to retire at 75.
Whether or not he'll actually do that is another story I suppose.

I tend to forget I make threads when they're not in the honing forum

I figured I should check back in. First off - thanks for all of the info. Really helpful. Second - I can't say how much I like my #3 enough, especially at around 100 bucks. Incredible value. I don't use the suede at all though. I've tried it but don't see a need for it. I considered asking TM to make a linen only strop, as I've been using the linen from his strop and then moving to my #3. After reading here I think I'll just give in and get the Kanayama linen. It's not pricey at all. I do see how this thing could end up stretching over time. It stretches a little if you pull on it too hard, but I definitely see myself getting a ton of use out if it. Maybe one day I'll upgrade. I'm sort of tempted to do so soon in fear that they will no longer be made and sold.

If you're reading this and trying to decide on buying it, I say go for it. You will not be disappointed with a Kanayama strop. No way.

I don't get how people figure the suede is no more effective than the skin. It's a pretty stark difference for me. I dare say the suede is damn near interchangeable with cotton strops. I don't notice that I do any more passes on it vs on the linen of my TM or ambrose. A few more than on my vintage DD because that linen is ridiculously stiff and grippy. To each his own, but I'd be sure you give the suede a few good tries before you write it off.

That said, I'll probably pick up a kana linen sooner or later just to turn my #3 into a poor-man's version of the 80k.

You think the suede works as a replacement for the linen? To be honest I didn't really give it any extensive use. I just used it a few times but then moved to linen, not doing more then ten or fifteen laps on the suede. Maybe I'll give it another try, but I was thinking of doing what you described and making a poor mans 80k.

Yeah, I certainly don't pull out another strop and use its linen before going to the Kana. I would guess I do 16-30 reps on the suede, depending on the razor. Then maybe another 30-60 on the cordovan.

I think the 3000 is pretty good......Not it to fuel the AD, but nothing I have has the same feel as my Kanayama. What's even more intriguing is Mr. Kanoyama hand works each one from scratch. So it is truly made from a leather custom made purely for stropping razors on. Every one should have one in the stable IMO.

+1

Best strop I've used. I paid about $160 shipped for a 3000 plus linen component. It is not fair to compare a $150 strop with a $100 TM or $50 star shaving strop. The quality of materials and the labor/skill is reflective of the price in this case. I like an edge stropped on a Kanayama better than any other.

I find the suede to be neutral. I get nothing from it.
The linen on the other hand - is very stout and imparts a very 'felt' beginning to the stropping on the shell.

If I had no Linen - I might be convinced to use the suede - but I have 3 Kana Linens, and they do way more than the Suede for me.
So the suede sits unused except for when I'm motivated to try and figure out how to get it to do 'something' I notice.

For me - the best thing about the suede is the 'feel' of stropping on it. That - is really nice. I could do that for hours I think.

Last edited:
My No. 3 has a very light draw that is just a pleasure to feel the razor go back and forth on. The leather is just soooo nice to rub. I find I like using it with hollow-er razors; others have noticed the same for them.

Your description sounds like the feedback I get from my kangaroo strop, buttery smooth.

A guy who sells us buffalo meat offered me a buffalo pelt for $700. I was tempted to see how many strops I could cut from one.

You may be right on the width- that is why I mentioned the world seems to have determined that 2 1/2" is the 'right' size. Same exact thing with the barber's end on the strop- I would normally put a handle or D ring on it but am going to try to get used to it because it seems the entire rest of the world uses them (shell strops) this way.

Brian

just reading through some older posts.. there are some kanayamas with handles from the "factory". probably were a special order but they are floating around..

Tolrolf made me a kangaroo and buffed horse strop that instantly became my favorite. I don't use the horse that much even though it works great because the kangaroo is truly awesome. It will bump the hht at least a couple of points in just ten or fifteen laps, even though it has a lot of nap. It's really an unbelievable strop and Tolrolf's integrity is unbeatable. I love my Kanayama, but it doesn't compare to this horse/kangaroo combination in efficiency. I don't know if Tolrolf makes these routinely, but I would recommend them above all others. Good man, Tolrolf. Later, Denny

Actually I have gotten used to my Kanoyama w/out any type of handle because the material is so soft. Easy to hold in the off hand and tension the strop for stropping. I don't think I would like a horse hide strop with a barber end but on shell it is not a problem.

Brian

just reading through some older posts.. there are some kanayamas with handles from the "factory". probably were a special order but they are floating around..

Top Bottom