What's new

Kanayama strop

It worked just fine. However, i like a strop with a little more draw, like my scrupleworks strop better. I just don't like the fast draw this one has. Maybe i will get used to it.
Torolf makes a superior strop!

Which leather did you get? I have the Vegetable Tanned Horsehide and absolutely love it. Still slick, but not as slick as shell cordovan.

I have three strops from Scrupleworks.. The BEST IMHO.

Torolf makes a superior strop!

Which leather did you get? I have the Vegetable Tanned Horsehide and absolutely love it. Still slick, but not as slick as shell cordovan.

I have three strops from Scrupleworks.. The BEST IMHO.
I got the Vegetable Tanned Horsehide.
I am really impressed with the performance/feel of this strop.

I bought one a long time ago that is the ladybug version. The secondary component was treated with something white. The leather degraded my edges as well. I think the leather was contaminated with something and that was the cause of it. When trying to fix it I submerged it in water and like a dummy let it dry and it ended up cracking a lot and now it sits and collects dust. Might do a paddle strop for knives from it eventually…

I got the Vegetable Tanned Horsehide.
I am really impressed with the performance/feel of this strop.
I have the same strop from Torolf and absolutely love it. I do have a Kanayama as well that I use. The veg tanned horsehide from Torolf is slicker than my Kanayama. Also his cotton is much nicer than the Kanayama canvas…

I have the same strop from Torolf and absolutely love it. I do have a Kanayama as well that I use. The veg tanned horsehide from Torolf is slicker than my Kanayama. Also his cotton is much nicer than the Kanayama canvas…
Exactly, my friend..

I also have the Scrupleworks Vegetable Tanned Horse, and a Kanayame #3 Shell Cordovan. I didn't like the second component on the K#, so Torolf made me a natural linen second component for it.
Now it's slick as snot..

Reactions: Wid
Exactly, my friend..

I also have the Scrupleworks Vegetable Tanned Horse, and a Kanayame #3 Shell Cordovan. I didn't like the second component on the K#, so Torolf made me a natural linen second component for it.
Now it's slick as snot..
Hehehe,
Bill I never mentioned it to you and haven’t thanked you properly for it, but because of your post about that linen component I ordered one from him as well. I use it all the time. So, I like to thank you my friend. It does a marvellous job.

Hehehe,
Bill I never mentioned it to you and haven’t thanked you properly for it, but because of your post about that linen component I ordered one from him as well. I use it all the time. So, I like to thank you my friend. It does a marvellous job.
It's my pleasure, Sammie!

It worked just fine. However, i like a strop with a little more draw, like my scrupleworks strop better. I just don't like the fast draw this one has. Maybe i will get used to it.
I've used mine for almost 3 years, and the draw is no longer slick and glassy. I guess you could still describe it as fast, but using it has gradually given it a much more tactile, luxurious feel, one that I like very much.

I've used mine for almost 3 years, and the draw is no longer slick and glassy. I guess you could still describe it as fast, but using it has gradually given it a much more tactile, luxurious feel, one that I like very much.
I have not used it for a while. However, I have been rubbing the strop with my palm to condition it even when I use a different strop. This seems to have improved the feedback a little.
It probably just need more frequent use.
Maybe I just got a bone dry strop that needs extra work to dial in.

You did amazingly well on the restoration. It looks fantastic. The maker didn’t recommend using oil on them. I have the veg tanned horsehide from Scrupleworks and a 10k Kanayama. The draw on the horsehide is faster compared to my Kanayama. The Scrupleworks almost feels glassy. I do like a fast strop though.

Yes, this seems modified. There is no way a strop from Naomi-san came in this condition. I suspect maybe someone returned it after messing with it and you were sold it after it re-entered stock. With Naomi-san retiring I'm sure anything that could sell was sold and maybe Maksim didn't know about its condition.

Ah yep that's what I thought (just double checking in case I'd misunderstood!)

FWIW... Mine sounds very different to yours. I bought this from another member here, 'second hand' though in pretty immaculate condition, and I've used a fair bit since then. But to my eye still looks in a much better state than yours.

I'd be tempted to ping Maxim an email. With those nicks on the side it surely can't be a 'new' strop...(?)

Naomi-san hasn't been making these strops for a while.

Maxim is a con. He sold me a sub-par, damaged Kanayama fully knowing and didn't reply or took any responsibility after I contacted him. He never ever replied to my mail when I contacted him showing him the pictures.

My Kanayama from Maxim's store also had not nearly the same surface as my old Nakayama strop.
My old Kanayama was sold by Martin from Rasurpur 15 years ago, top notch seller and store and top notch strop.
My newer Kanayama was bought from Maxim and was cupped and wavy along its length and width. It also had bad spots in the leather with rough gritty leather, absolutely sub-par, sub-standard and unusable.
Night and day difference. The honing surface on the old ones are velvety smooth the newer ones feel like you're stropping on plastic and feel like they're dressed with something and have tiny blackspecks imbedded in them.
The old ones you can clearly feel the draw, on the newer ones no draw. With all that said, I used a couple "newer" ones and haven't noticed any negative effects.

I know many talk good things about Maxim, I think he's a hoax. I contacted him in Febuary 2021 and am still waiting for him to reply and take any responsibility. On a 90.000 no less, his last one in stock, I think he was glad someone bought it; he took the money and ran. I have very specific adjectives to describe his character.

Last edited:
If it's degrading your edges, hold it very taught and only the blade weight, don't push down. If that doesn't work and you just aren't happy, sell it to me and get a tony miller

Top Bottom