What's new

Kanayama Strop Review

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I went into a small local hardware store today and asked a gentleman working there if they had any metal rings. He looked at me like I was crazy, but I was actually able to find one JUST like the TM ones for a whopping $1.28 after CA tax. They had D rings too.

Oh, and since this is the kanayama thread, here is a little eye candy from this morning:

$2012.6.6.jpg

The 80k of course LOL

Haha, ok, just double checking :wink2:

Kent, I'm going to be 100% honest with you. The size is fantastic. The dust cover is brilliant. The feel and craftsmanship, well, its incredible.

The 80K comes with the thick leather suede component. I haven't had THAT much time with it yet, but I truthfully despise it at this point. Its incredible thick, hard to get taut, has HUGE draw, and I'm not really sure what the point of it is. I keep trying it thinking that maybe it improves the edge, but as of now, I really don't notice any benefit to it.

As a package, its a gorgeous and very well made strop. It exudes quality. The 2 stamps at the bottom make it difficult to hold. I've just accepted holding over the stamps and letting the gold come off. I tried gripping at the end, but it doesn't feel secure and the last thing I want is for it to slip and cut the strop in half.

The linen is different, but I really like it. It's sturdy and feels better to me than the TM version.

Supposedly these are designed for barbers and built to last. I've never felt anything like it. TM makes fantastic strops, but this is a whole different level. For close to 3 times the price, its definitely not 3 times as good. But it is just an absolute pleasure to use. When stropping, I don't even find myself counting. I just strop. It's actually enjoyable to feel the blade go over the smooth cordovan.

You have the Aframes one with the suede but no linen, correct? What do you think of it?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Ah good to hear.

I really like mine, especially the brushed leather! I guess I always liked a heavier draw tho. It seems to really buff and clean the blade. Less tension on the leather might make it easier to strop on. Super tight tension on the leather seems to add draw for me, but YMMV.

Ah good to hear.

I really like mine, especially the brushed leather! I guess I always liked a heavier draw tho. It seems to really buff and clean the blade. Less tension on the leather might make it easier to strop on. Super tight tension on the leather seems to add draw for me, but YMMV.

I'll try using less tension. I can't believe I'm saying this, but its just SO thick. As in utterly unnecessarily thick.

"Too" thick? Or is that blasphemous to say :smile:.

Haha, If I said that it was "too thick" I think it would be equivalent to complaining about never getting to shave with TIs because there are too many Filly EPBDs in the rotation

Something like that

I'll try using less tension. I can't believe I'm saying this, but its just SO thick. As in utterly unnecessarily thick.
Blasphemy
"Too" thick? Or is that blasphemous to say :smile:.
I agree
Haha, If I said that it was "too thick" I think it would be equivalent to complaining about never getting to shave with TIs because there are too many Filly EPBDs in the rotation

Something like that
Yea, something like that

I am not a big straight razor user, but I own two and have one strop. The strop I own is 3" and starting to cup, so I asked a buddy of mine, who is a straight razor freak, what to get. He told me to buy a Kanayama, so I did. It arrived today. WOW what a beauty. I can't wait to use it.

Haha, ok, just double checking :wink2:

The 80K comes with the thick leather suede component. I haven't had THAT much time with it yet, but I truthfully despise it at this point. Its incredible thick, hard to get taut, has HUGE draw, and I'm not really sure what the point of it is. I keep trying it thinking that maybe it improves the edge, but as of now, I really don't notice any benefit to it.

.... The 2 stamps at the bottom make it difficult to hold. I've just accepted holding over the stamps and letting the gold come off. I tried gripping at the end, but it doesn't feel secure and the last thing I want is for it to slip and cut the strop in half.

The linen is different, but I really like it. .......

Supposedly these are designed for barbers and built to last. I... I just strop. It's actually enjoyable to feel the blade go over the smooth cordovan.

You have the Aframes one with the suede but no linen, correct? What do you think of it?

Is the suede in the middle? How do you hold it so you can use the middle component and not damage the top component?

Is the suede in the middle? How do you hold it so you can use the middle component and not damage the top component?

The Linen is a separate piece. So you can use the Cordovan/Suede like any other strop

I should add that by using less pressure to keep the suede taut, I do like it better. But I still don't really "get it" yet

The Linen is a separate piece. So you can use the Cordovan/Suede like any other strop

I should add that by using less pressure to keep the suede taut, I do like it better. But I still don't really "get it" yet

Ahh, ok, it all makes scents to me now!

Oh my goodness, oh my goodness... I didn't know what to expect when I pulled apart that box and revealed that supple leather, but it took me by surprise... I don't know if there is a strop with softer or smoother leather to be found. A guy really needs at least 2 of these, 1 to use and 1 to save for the future when you can no longer buy such a strop. If you are on the fence, go ahead and buy one, you won't be sorry.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Relative size.
proxy.php

I opened mine today - and it's all that and more. I'm extreeeeeeemly happy with the 80k.
I love the suede, the linen, and most of all the main component is screamingly wonderful to strop on.

I opened mine today - and it's all that and more. I'm extreeeeeeemly happy with the 80k.
I love the suede, the linen, and most of all the main component is screamingly wonderful to strop on.

Yeah right, no pics!!!!

Well that took you long enough:lol:

Top Bottom