What's new

Just Starting, Need Recommendations

Oh you're gonna fit in nicely here Josh. LOL! Make sure you get a Merkur 34C at some point. It should be in every collection. :)

So, going off the last couple of responses, you guys would agree that going ahead and getting a couple razors would be ok? What recommendations for mild ones? I'm thinking definitely a Merkur 1904, but what else as far as bigger mild razors? Merkur 23C long? Are Cadets and Parkers good, or should I stay away from them? I really like the Cadet TTO-13 and TTO-14. I also like the Parker 90R and 99R.

How about a 70's vintage Gillette black flair tip - like the rightmost razor in this picture:

View attachment 417610

Fits your color scheme, relatively mild razor, a superlative option imo...

Happy hunting! -David

If I was gonna get a vintage, I would probably want a nickel aristocrat lol. I like that one, but if I got vintage I would probably want solid silver instead of silver and black.

From what you say about your age and skin/beard type, combined with your desire for a good looking razor, I would recommend the Edwin Jagger EJ 89 with the barley comb end and the smooth handle. Mild, beautiful to behold and affordable. The synthetic brushes rule, but as the owner of two muhles, I'd steer you to the more affordable Omegas, which seem to have more ergonomic handles, though my personal favorite brush as of today is the muhle vivo. You don't need a shaving bowl. Any old ceramic bowl from the kitchen will do. I can't think of a more luxurious lather to start out with than Speick cream or shave stick or Jack Black Supreme creme.

Save your money, think for the long haul and start modestly, I say. It's only going to get worse, kid. You'll be eyeing straight razors before you know it, or single edge razors as a gateway drug. Relax and enjoy, and I wish you the best. It's going to be so much fun, avoiding the pitfalls of a bad shave!

I threw my usual rec's into a thread (see my signature).

For a nice, shiny razor - message Krona Kruiser. Replated vintage razors in excellent condition for excellent prices. If you want to drool over pics, Google "Krona Kruiser badgerandblade.com" under images.

First off, $350 is a lot of money to spend on a starter kit. You may want to start a little slower.

With that said, that razor is expensive. It's got the same head as the Muhle/Jagger razors but at an inflated price. You can get an Edwin Jagger DE89 for $38 ($20 less!) on WCS, less than $30 on Amazon. Still has the correct color scheme.

I'm not extremely familiar with the Muhle silvertip synthetic stuff, but I do know that Muhle brushes are a poor value proposition in North America because of their distributor. That same brush that is $75 at Maggard is about $45 on Connaught shaving (a UK website) inclusive of shipping to the USA.

I'd suggest not getting only melt-and-pour soaps. They're not terrible, but they aren't my favorite. If you're going to buy three soaps, you might as well go for some variety.

Welcome to B&B.........and for advise i agree with Byan ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I vote you keep a little money in reserve once you test some stuff you might want to make more informed descisions.
The Merkur 34C or 34G is a very nice razor I have found it better than the Futur and Vision in my inexperienced hands and would recommend it without hesitation to newbies.

I vote you keep a little money in reserve once you test some stuff you might want to make more informed descisions.
The Merkur 34C or 34G is a very nice razor I have found it better than the Futur and Vision in my inexperienced hands and would recommend it without hesitation to newbies.

+1 well stated

First off, $350 is a lot of money to spend on a starter kit. You may want to start a little slower.

With that said, that razor is expensive. It's got the same head as the Muhle/Jagger razors but at an inflated price. You can get an Edwin Jagger DE89 for $38 ($20 less!) on WCS, less than $30 on Amazon. Still has the correct color scheme.

I'm not extremely familiar with the Muhle silvertip synthetic stuff, but I do know that Muhle brushes are a poor value proposition in North America because of their distributor. That same brush that is $75 at Maggard is about $45 on Connaught shaving (a UK website) inclusive of shipping to the USA.

I'd suggest not getting only melt-and-pour soaps. They're not terrible, but they aren't my favorite. If you're going to buy three soaps, you might as well go for some variety.

(+1 here)

Hello and welcome to B&B!! In addition to what Ryan said above, I would just add that instead of the Col. Conk Soap, I'd go for something like RazoRock. Incredibly cheap for the quality. They have both tallow and non-tallow soaps, hard and soft. A lot of variety and all produce a very good lather.

Ben

You can get some top of the line gear for much less than your budget. You will also do much better if you don't stick to two stores or make everything have to be orange scented or black and chrome. You're really limiting yourself here.I'd go for quality. With you're budget I'd choose an all stainless steel Weber razor for $70.I'd add a whipped dog silvertip badger brush for $35.I'd recommend you get a large blade sampler.Add some soap samples from Stirling, Mike's, Barrister and Mann, and Queen Charlotte Soaps and you have a setup that'll never need upgrading.You're probabably still well under $200 here so you could easily choose a more expensive razor like a tradere or above the tie.Quality never goes out of style.I urge you to read reviews and do some research. Take your time and choose wisely so that you aren't buying inferior products or things you'll want to replace right away. There's lots of average stuff out there but with your budget you don't have to settle for average.

You can get some top of the line gear for much less than your budget. You will also do much better if you don't stick to two stores or make everything have to be orange scented or black and chrome. You're really limiting yourself here.I'd go for quality. With you're budget I'd choose an all stainless steel Weber razor for $70.I'd add a whipped dog silvertip badger brush for $35.I'd recommend you get a large blade sampler.Add some soap samples from Stirling, Mike's, Barrister and Mann, and Queen Charlotte Soaps and you have a setup that'll never need upgrading.You're probabably still well under $200 here so you could easily choose a more expensive razor like a tradere or above the tie.Quality never goes out of style.I urge you to read reviews and do some research. Take your time and choose wisely so that you aren't buying inferior products or things you'll want to replace right away. There's lots of average stuff out there but with your budget you don't have to settle for average.

+1 for an Above The Tie razor. Like a BOSS!

I have gotten a lot of help here in this thread, but I can't help but notice that everybody seems to be trying to stray me away from the muhle synthetic silvertip fibre brush. Up until I started this thread, all I had heard about it was good things, but many of you are telling me to go for something else? Whats up with that?

Also, I have gotten many suggestions as far as razor choice, but they aren't quite what I'm looking for. I want something all silver(nickel, chrome, etc.), substantial in the hand, and mild. I really like the completely solid safety bar, so would like to hear about some razors with it. So, with that said, what do you guys recommend for razors?

With soaps, I would love to get a lot, but I don't want to have to buy 1 or 2 samples from ten different websites. Can you at least recommend a website with a lot of good soap sampling options? I don't have to neccessarily get everything from there, but I dont want to have to make 15 $3 purchases either.

I really appreciate everything everyone has said so far, and I am just trying to be informed before I make my purchases!

I have gotten a lot of help here in this thread, but I can't help but notice that everybody seems to be trying to stray me away from the muhle synthetic silvertip fibre brush. Up until I started this thread, all I had heard about it was good things, but many of you are telling me to go for something else? Whats up with that?

I have a custom Rudy Vey with a Muhle STF v2 knot, and I love it.

Also, I have gotten many suggestions as far as razor choice, but they aren't quite what I'm looking for. I want something all silver(nickel, chrome, etc.), substantial in the hand, and mild. I really like the completely solid safety bar, so would like to hear about some razors with it. So, with that said, what do you guys recommend for razors?

How about a vintage razor, replated in Rhodium or Nickle? Look for Krona Kruiser, and he won't steer your wrong!

With soaps, I would love to get a lot, but I don't want to have to buy 1 or 2 samples from ten different websites. Can you at least recommend a website with a lot of good soap sampling options? I don't have to neccessarily get everything from there, but I dont want to have to make 15 $3 purchases either.

Maggards has quite a few creams, which are wonderful. I'd suggest at least trying proraso, maybe some TOBS.

I have a custom Rudy Vey with a Muhle STF v2 knot, and I love it.

How about a vintage razor, replated in Rhodium or Nickle? Look for Krona Kruiser, and he won't steer your wrong!

Maggards has quite a few creams, which are wonderful. I'd suggest at least trying proraso, maybe some TOBS.

Yeah, I've been told to go to Krona Kruiser, but he hasn't responded to my email yet? How long does it usually take to hear back from him?

He's doing something like 30 razors this week but hang in there, he'll get back to you. Check out Stirling Soaps. They have $2 samples and $5 flat shipping. Great stuff. I don't have any experience with synthetic brushes however I can't imagine anything feeling better than my Simpson Commodore X2 in Best Badger.

I really appreciate everything everyone has said so far, and I am just trying to be informed before I make my purchases!
I had a few Synthetics and they are good, but nothing beats the real thing in Silvertip.....

as for a good solid safety try a ATT set, they are tops among the shave world.
http://abovethetie.com/?store_item=488&main=1
proxy.php

the soaps i dont deal with too much, i like Mama bears, Mike, but in general you can ask in the B&B soap forums for more detailed response by the pros http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/3-Shaving-Soaps

Very minor point, but instead of a styptic pencil, get a Pacific Shaving Nick Stick. Same idea, but much more modern way to stop bleeding and just works better overall.

Top Bottom