What's new

Just how tight does the strop have to be?

I usually put one foot on the wall to get good leverage & then I use both hands to pull the strop as hard as I can, while I have my wife strop for me.
We don't want to round the edge right??

I use the paddle strop as a reference of the kind of surface I am looking for but it should not be a workout either.

Al raz.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I just let my high draw latigo strop droop more than usual, and whoa, draw got lighter, substantially lighter...haven't shaved off it yet tho.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I usually tie my strop to a 150 year old oak tree and hook the other end to the bumper of my car. My wife floors it while I strop.

I also have an extra long strop I use while bungee jumping.

I just let my high draw latigo strop droop more than usual, and whoa, draw got lighter, substantially lighter...haven't shaved off it yet tho.
That sounds like you are learning well. The leather is in contact better with the edge of the bevel too. Just keep it loose and light and you'll be fine.

jss4fish, You'll be fine. Eventually everything will fall into place. When I started out I was doing everything wrong (stropping). Anymore, I can feel when the edge starts to draw so I'm not even counting laps while I'm stropping. I started shaving with straights around March of this year. It's been a fun ride so far

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

Top Bottom