What's new

Junk shop razors

I've been figuring out how to upload pictures and stuff, and doing some reviews of the "7 day set" I put together entirely from antique razors (At 7 I mist stop due to spatial considerations!).

I'd like to offer encouragement to those put off the idea of straight razor shaving by the price of a good razor- this cllection cost me in total under £50 I've been piecing it together for a few years now, and most of the razors cost only a fiver, and a bit of work with a hone. Most in fact were near shave ready out of the case, jsut a "tickle" on the 10K waterstone and they worked fine. I think junk shop finds are a really good way to put together the equipment needed to shave like a gentleman on a minimal budget.

With a £5 razor, a decent leather belt, and an old hone, you can get going. Better still, make the strop, or ask at a show repair shop- you can put one together that is perfectly functional, and probably have leather left over to make yourself a nice slip case for your razor, it it did not come with one.

"Pure Bristle" brushes cost under a fiver, and a stick of Palmolive may set you back 70p (and last for months). You may want to be really extravagant and purchase a bottle of Old Spice (£5) or you could just get a bottle of Witch Hazel BP (£1.20).

I honestly believe that honing is a skill that anyone can learn, look at the Razor Central website (www.en.nassrasur.com/razorcentral/) for as plenty of information. If you decide to splash out on two razors, you can pay someone to hone one of them for you, if you want a benchmark for your own efforts, but the tests (thumbnail, hanging hair) are fairly good, and easy to use.

There are risks to buying a secondhand razor over the internet, as you cannot look at it, (the two I've had any trouble with were from ebay...), so antique/junk shops are the way forward if you can get to one. I didn't use the internet when I started (6 or 7 years ago I think), and I think with all the information being so accessible, there should be no trouble for anyone learning how.

This doesn't mean you won't nick yourself a few times, but I do want to offer encouragement to all those considering having a go- set to, stick at it for a bit and it is quite do-able.

I'd also like to ask everyone who has a few junk shop razors to review them- there are so many obscure brands, but many can provide as good a shave as the famous names of today, at a fraction of the cost. Include in your reviews any problems you had getting the razors in working order- I think that's a good way a beginner can get an idea of what to expect, and what to look out for. Some reviews of hones would be handy too- old hones can be got for very cheap, but the number of brands can be confusing- is it coarse, or is it a finishing hone? A few reviews would really help in eliminating the trial and error aspect of buying an old hone. It may be great, but the Norton combo is quite expensive- old barbers hones make an attractive alternative.

Good luck to all those learning about the use of traditional razors, and enjoy!

Steerpike

Straights are new to me; this morning I bought two from one of the booths at an antiques mall. It was both for $14, and somehow after tax was added it ended up being thirteen dollars and change. Both are smallish and have bright, straight edges, unlike some others I saw there. When I get home from work tonight I'll take some measurements and try to post some photos.

I'm not ready to begin straight shaving yet, but I see it in my future . . .

My great-grandfather came here from Italy and was a barber in the 1900s-1920s time frame. My dad is still PO'd that his step dad threw away all the beautiful pearl-handled razors, among other heirlooms (not even from his side), when they moved house when he was a kid. But maybe there is some genetic memory . . . :rolleyes:

Come on folks, plenty of you must be using antique razors, let's have some reviews of them! This could become a really useful resource for anyone looking into buying old razors. Also, if anyone knows any history connected with the brands, maybe they could post a comment on after a review? Or start a discussion thread (not sure how that works).

Barber hones, too need more sharing of information- plenty of us must have used a fair few means of sharpening, some we've liked, others have been thrown to the back of the cupboard. Write a review, and tell us why!

I have just purchased an Antoni Tadross Razor off the internet, The Scales were rubbish and have been scrapped but the blade was certainly very usable with plenty of life left in it. The blade cleaned up well and it is now on its way to Joe Chandler for Rescaling. I can’t wait to get it back so I can give it a go.

I have not yet properly got into Honing but I think this is an ideal razor to start with.

Top Bottom