What's new

Junk Shop Razors

Spurred on by stories of members’ visiting their local junk shop or car boot sale and coming home with a brand spankers never been used Dubl Duck or some other rare and beautiful blade, which of course were in pristine shave ready condition and were paid for the trouble of taking them off their hands. I too decided to visit my local junk/ Antique shop to try my luck. To my surprise they did have quite a few.

It took quite a while for the man to find the razors, he rummaged about in boxes and cupboards but eventually pulled out a drawer full of them from a large dresser. I think he was a little perplexed as to why I making this enquiry. He did ask 'what do you want it for' I retorted 'to shave with, why'? This really threw him as he said 'we don't sell many of these these days' .....'we use them for opening boxes out the back'! One has to ponder why he bought the razors in the first place if he didn't think he could sell them? But hey ho!

Anyway, in the drawer they had a couple of 7 day sets and any number of miscellaneous brands, none of which I had heard of but they all had one thing in common, without exception they all had rust on them to varying degrees. Some were covered in the stuff and others had a small amount on the back. The shop even had a box of 6 identical razors that were completely brand new and still in there grease proof rappers boxes and shipping carton, on examination unfortunately, again these had a small amount of rust on them.

I was wondering how bad a rust spot has to be before the razor is beyond redemption. How difficult is it to get rid of pitting and return it to its former glory?........ And is it really worth the effort?

If there is rust or pitting along the edge of the razor then forget it. If there is rust aong the bottom 1/2 of the blade, then the rust can be removed but the pitting may have to stay because of the thinness of the blade. For rust/pitting along the upper 1/2 of the blade or on the tang then you have the possibility of removing that if you have the right tools. Check out www.straightrazorplace.com in the restoration forums for how to info.

I hope you bought the razors that were in the original wrappers?

If it's lightly spotted, then you might be ok with restoring them. Black oxidation can be a toss up sometimes with the actual amount of damage to the razor; it can be pretty minimal underneath when you sand through it, or it can reveal major pitting. It sounds like you should be able to find at least one decent razor out of how many the fellow had. Or a new box cutter:biggrin:

Pick out those with the least rust/pitting, and have a go at cleaning them up. Sounds like he'll let you have them quite cheap, so it's no great loss if a few don't survive. All of the razors I have bought have had at least a bit of discolouration, but all have cleaned up nicely and become decent shavers.

Pick out those with the least rust/pitting, and have a go at cleaning them up. Sounds like he'll let you have them quite cheap, so it's no great loss if a few don't survive. All of the razors I have bought have had at least a bit of discolouration, but all have cleaned up nicely and become decent shavers.

I might have a go at that, My trouble is I am a bit of a perfectionist and if it's not near perfect, 'it really will not do Sir'. Tarnish I can deal with in fact I would quite enjoy having a go at cleaning it up but, if its pitted I simply do not have the wherewithall to do the job. I tinks perhaps I am starting to run before I can walk?

Thanks for your help I will let ou know how I get on.

William

I had a walk down to the junk shop and asked to have a look at the straight razors. I had a good look at the box of six never been used but couldn’t find any without rust on them. the blades were clean but there was rust along the back of the blade from the point end for about an inch and just a little down onto the blade.

I thought for a couple of pounds five at the most I would have a go and see how it would clean up. If nothing else it would be good for honing practice. I asked him he wanted for it and to my amazement he said £25. I nearly fell through the floor. I did try to explain that it simply was not worth that sort of money but he was having none of it.

At this point I left the shop. Unfortunately, they can all stay there and rust.

6 NOS razors for $50.00. Lets see, thats about $8.50 per razor. If its minor rust on the spine and upper part of the blade and everything else is good that sounds like a good deal to me.

6 NOS razors for $50.00. Lets see, thats about $8.50 per razor. If its minor rust on the spine and upper part of the blade and everything else is good that sounds like a good deal to me.

No, no, no thats $50 for just one of them? $300 the lot. They were made in Soligen mind you but had no makers name on them. Very plane white scales and gold etching on the blade 'Super ##### something or other. :crying:

Top Bottom