What's new

Japanese Razors - The Scales Q

I've been surfing through pages and pages of Japanese razors on eBay this morning. Not a single western style razor has scales made from any natural materials. They're all plastic. Any clues why? Insufficient natural materials on the islands?

Just wondering. Thanks.

Legion

Staff member
I'm thinking that most western style Japanese razors we see were made post WW2. By that stage plastic was the most common scale material. Also, in Japan after WW2 they were not super wealthy, so they were less likely to pay for extravagant materials like horn or ivory, etc.

Pre WW2 Japanese razors are mostly kamisori style.

I'm thinking that most western style Japanese razors we see were made post WW2. By that stage plastic was the most common scale material. Also, in Japan after WW2 they were not super wealthy, so they were less likely to pay for extravagant materials like horn or ivory, etc.

Pre WW2 Japanese razors are mostly kamisori style.
I think this makes sense, in the majority. And I'd venture a guess that a search of other countries' post WW2 razors would show mostly plastic too. But natural materials were and still are in use elsewhere even today. But not in Japan, seemingly, not a single western razor that I can recall. Not even wood.

After the war, they went heavy into manufacturing and plastic was the easiest thing to manufacture. I did see a few that were totally artisan works that did have wood scales that would cost you a month's mortgage, but they rarely show up on ebay. The other reason is that they are all waiting for folks like you to buy and rescale them.

I have a single one with Wood scales. It was bought in Japan like that, but that does not mean they are original. The quality of it actually hint at a homemade repair job.
$Honed.jpg

Either way, yours is the first I can remember ever seeing. Does the lighting/angle hide a wedge pin?
I don't have it handy as I am traveling, but if I remember correctly there were no wedge pins.
If rescaled counts, then here is another one (rescaled by me in ebony with mother of pearl inlays)
$Honed.jpg

Until WW2 natural raw material would apply in most of the cases and not just for razors. New materials developed during the war simplified large scale production and this applies to Japan as well.

At this time they were tools like a Gillette Mach 3 is today. They were made to last and plastics lasts ! Solingen or Thiers were not exceptions in that sense. Late 70 Grelot''s scales are even cheap looking...

However, our passion for these objects tend to "divinize" them and we are right because they include a kind of magic which expresses itself when they show elegance and beauty. The period between WW1 and WW2 would encourage elegance, art and uniqueness
the 30 Glorious from 45 to 75 would promote growth and economies of scale ....or "savings on scales "🙄😎?

Top Bottom