What's new

Japanese razor

Is there any way you can hook some of us less-lucky people? I'm still open for a brick and mortar in tokyo, if your friend can help.

Is there any way you can hook some of us less-lucky people? I'm still open for a brick and mortar in tokyo, if your friend can help.

I'd be weary about paying big $ for some of the untried/untested japanese straights. The steel they use makes a Robert Williams razor steel seem like butter.... so if you get one that needs to be honed (and they are very tricky to hone on their own as is) then you could have a REALLY big problem.

I'd be weary about paying big $ for some of the untried/untested japanese straights. The steel they use makes a Robert Williams razor steel seem like butter.... so if you get one that needs to be honed (and they are very tricky to hone on their own as is) then you could have a REALLY big problem.

I certainly appreciate that. It seems I need to compile a list of the more well known razors/bladesmiths. Do any of the honers around work with Japanese straights?

This is way harder than it should be. I realize we are a niche group, but we can't even fill the wants in the forum, let alone the rest of the world. I sure wish some of these experienced bladesmiths realized how much we care about these. I wonder is they even know the sheer joy and appreciation some of us have for their work. Not all of us consider this a piece of metal to scrape hair form our face....anyway, I know i'm preachin to the choir here.

I certainly appreciate that. It seems I need to compile a list of the more well known razors/bladesmiths. Do any of the honers around work with Japanese straights?

This is way harder than it should be. I realize we are a niche group, but we can't even fill the wants in the forum, let alone the rest of the world. I sure wish some of these experienced bladesmiths realized how much we care about these. I wonder is they even know the sheer joy and appreciation some of us have for their work. Not all of us consider this a piece of metal to scrape hair form our face....anyway, I know i'm preachin to the choir here.

The $400 razor market is pretty small.... especially when you consider something as plain jane as a Japanese straight (no fancy stuff). Even the less expensive ones, are still not "inexpensive" and they can be very tricky to hone, and they are quite different to use for some.

If you were a Japanese blacksmith, what would you want to produce.... cutlery with HUUUUGE waiting lists (to get most top end knives can take months to years) or would you produce straight razors, which are tricker and less commonly demanded? As big as shaving may be.... it isn't nearly as big as cooking/cutlery, etc - so to move from making a knife to a razor is a big change, and can throw you off.... so yet another reason they don't make them often.

Do I wish they did? Certainly.... but I cannot see how it could/would make sense for them.

Very true. Although I do wonder how the production cost for a razor compares to that of a knife. I guess it amounts to, they are a rare talented person, and no matter what they make it will be bought.

Any thoughts on a 2007 B&B Japanese razor? Obviously not near the order count like the brushes would but it might be the only way to...

A. Generate enough interest to potentially make it worth a bladesmith's while.
B Provide an opportunity for a truly unique shaving experience for those that would not otherwise get the chance.

Even if it were 20 blade orders it might accomplish these goals. I for one would love to have one similar to your blue handled beauty Joel! Put me on that list without hesitation!! My bank account has already been warned!

Seriously, please take this under consideration.

Cordially,

George

Any thoughts on a 2007 B&B Japanese razor? Obviously not near the order count like the brushes would but it might be the only way to...

A. Generate enough interest to potentially make it worth a bladesmith's while.
B Provide an opportunity for a truly unique shaving experience for those that would not otherwise get the chance.

Even if it were 20 blade orders it might accomplish these goals. I for one would love to have one similar to your blue handled beauty Joel! Put me on that list without hesitation!! My bank account has already been warned!

Seriously, please take this under consideration.

Cordially,

George

George,
From all accounts I have heard, the gentleman who makes the blue handled razor is deceased.

Unfortunately.... all the other Japanese razors I have found are considerably more expensive. I ordered and am trying to source others.... but it doesn't look good.

For what it is worth, the numbers are somewhat meaningless. They don't care if it is 15 or 1500..... they are dubbed as "really difficult to make" and are much different to make than knives, as since they have so much business, and pride/quality is above money/profit for them, it doesn't look promising... but rest assured, I am trying. :smile:

I know you are trying Joel. And I truly appreciate your efforts. Thanks for your dedication to "the art". Those darn reviews just taunt me!!

I have sold many of the Tosuke razors in the past and have researched availability of them. The problem is no one and I mean no one in japan shaves with a straight razor. well maybe a few crazy guys do! The market for them there is far smaller then the market here so there isn't much demand so the few that are being produced go into the hands of knife colectors and they are in super high demand by those guys. Most of the ones still being made are pre ordered years in advance through private channels and are very expensive. Forget about doing a group buy. Also many of the web sites you see offering them are old and if you contact them they will tell you the razors are unavailable. I have a friend in Japan who is always on the lookout for them.

By the way honing them is really not difficult at all just different. You need a 12K Hone and place the razor flat on the hone and place two fingers on the blade convex side down Give it 4 back and forth strokes with alot of downward pressure and turn it over and do the same with 2 strokes. Maintain that ratio and let up on the pressure as the blade sharpens. You will have the most wicked sharp blade in the world. The total number of strokes will vary depending on the condition of the blade.

Why is that do you think? It is an item that people use everyday.

I have an idea about this, and it's very similar to Joel's response but from another angle. A razor is less glamorous because of who uses it, vs who uses kitchen cutlery, swords etc. Chefs, Samurai, etc are of higher status than your average neighborhood barber.

-----Michael

Top Bottom