What's new

Ivory scale repair

Just picked up The Plum razor and wasn't sure in the pics if it was Ivory. Apparently the scales are indeed Ivory. The very tip near the pivot has broken off. I have a part of it. Is it possible to repair? Re attach the piece I have and craft the remainder from an epoxy putty? Maybe something like JB Weld or Milliput Superfine white.
1.jpg
2.jpg

Last edited:
I also wonder if a Kintsugi gold process might work? Which is basically epoxy/resin with a gold powder? Or possibly the putty with a Kanazawa Haku gold leaf over the top?

Last edited:
I doubt you're going to get a clean repair without taking the scales apart. If the broke piece is still a good fit, clean with acetone, add some CA glue to some white pigment powder for epoxy die and slap it together. Fine sand the joint after and it will likely be noticable but not bad. If not a good fit, cast it with epoxy mixed with the same pigment and again sand it to final dimension.

I doubt you're going to get a clean repair without taking the scales apart. If the broke piece is still a good fit, clean with acetone, add some CA glue to some white pigment powder for epoxy die and slap it together. Fine sand the joint after and it will likely be noticable but not bad. If not a good fit, cast it with epoxy mixed with the same pigment and again sand it to final dimension.
Cheers. I wish I had all of the broken pieces, but I only had about 1/2. Its why I thought to make it a feature. No getting away with a seamless repair. Either I get a reasonable bond with the broken part I do have and have to fill in the other part or I just create a new tip for more stability. I would usually just replace the scales if I came across a problem like this but since they are ivory Im looking at a repair instead.

Yeah, I think it would be crazy to dump original ivory scales over that small chip. You also could easily regrind the end rounded and shorter with the other scale without having to move the blade pivot. If I understand you correctly you could easily make it a feature by casting with a contrasting dyed epoxy. I think I would look at metallic gold color or brass to stand out. Metalic pigments for epoxy are cheap and available in every color imaginable online.

Yeah, I think it would be crazy to dump original ivory scales over that small chip. You also could easily regrind the end rounded and shorter with the other scale without having to move the blade pivot. If I understand you correctly you could easily make it a feature by casting with a contrasting dyed epoxy. I think I would look at metallic gold color or brass to stand out. Metalic pigments for epoxy are cheap and available in every color imaginable online.
Yep. My thoughts, or even a bolster which would help stabilise and cover the fault.

bolster.jpeg

Top Bottom