What's new

It's definitely the malt time of year

A quick perusal of November's and December's "Speakeasy Acquisitions" threads along with the "anybody else giving scotch as xmas presents?" thread will give an indication of the importance of malt whisky at this time of year.

The buying, the giving .................................................

and the BARGAINS are most prevalent during November and December.

Please join me in celebrating your acquisitions and here's wishing you the receipt of even more water of life...........

At Christmas (Europe) / Over the holiday period (US)

:a54:

November:

Glenlivet 12 - £10 off - £15.99

Glenmorangie One Litre - Half price - £18.49

December:

Lagavulin 16 - Costco - £29.88

And finally,

(Big Drum Roll)

The Glenrothes Select Reserve

This Speyside malt from the venerable stable of Berry Bros and Rudd has only been available in recent times as a single malt bottling. The Select Reserve is a multi vintage blend in the same vein as Krug Grand Cuvee.

It is usually about 32 quid but I noticed that Wine Rack in Knutsford had it on offer at £24.99.

A supplier to our department at work, sent some vouchers as a Christmas present and the relevant staff each had a £10 voucher to be redeemed in high street department stores or Thresher Wines/Wine Rack.

I drove to the closest Wne Rack (about 8 miles away) and was pleased to see that they stocked The Glenrothes at the offer price.

The shop is also running a promotion where there is 20% off any malt above £20 in value until 7/1/09 :cool:

£24.99 became £19.99

Factor in the £10 voucher and I was left with £9.99 to pay for a £32 malt

:jump:

Fingers crossed for some malts as Christmas presents :wink:

Here's wishing that all malt devotees on B&B have the opportunity to imbibe to their heart's content.

:a17:

It's the most wonderful time of the year

Just received this from some good mates :cool:

A marriage of Balvenie,Glenfiddich and Kininvie

Definitely malt time!

I got myself a bottle of this for Christmas. I haven't opened it yet, I'm waiting to find it under the tree on Christmas Day. :wink:

My lovely wife got me a nice bottle of GlenLivet 18 yr old for Christmas. I'd never had their 18 yr old, and I wouldn't have spent that much on myself, but I had a bit last night and it was most wonderful. I like the 12 yr old, but I love this one! MMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm..........

Christmas was very good to me Scotch-wise. A bottle of Grant's Monkey Shoulder and a bottle of Jura were under the tree for me. The Monkey Shoulder is delicious and, I must say, has a bottle to die for.
It's my birthday on the 29th too, and I happen to know that my partner has got me a bottle of Green Label which I am very much looking forward to.

2009's going to be a good year!

My in-laws gave me a gift card to the wine center which I used last night to pick up a bottle of Glenmorangie Nectar d'Or.

Christmas was very good to me Scotch-wise. A bottle of Grant's Monkey Shoulder and a bottle of Jura were under the tree for me. The Monkey Shoulder is delicious and, I must say, has a bottle to die for.
It's my birthday on the 29th too, and I happen to know that my partner has got me a bottle of Green Label which I am very much looking forward to.

2009's going to be a good year!

Monkey Shoulder and Isle of Jura are two good fair priced malts

:thumbup1:

My lovely wife got me a nice bottle of GlenLivet 18 yr old for Christmas. I'd never had their 18 yr old, and I wouldn't have spent that much on myself, but I had a bit last night and it was most wonderful. I like the 12 yr old, but I love this one! MMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm..........
How does that 18yrs taste compared to the 12yrs?

Received a £20 Tesco Gift Card as part of my Christmas present from my in-laws

Went to the largest Tesco in the local area, in search of malt bargains

Talisker 18

£45 "Reduced to clear" £25

But they were temporarily out of stock - DISTRAUGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :crying:

Will they have any more in? :ohmy:

Those who have bought it don't appreciate it - I AM POSITIVE !!!!!!!!!!!! :cursing:

How does that 18yrs taste compared to the 12yrs?

It's a different breed. More body, darker color, much more complex but not overly so. Would I spend the difference on myself on a regular basis? Probably not. The 12 yr old is $39.90 for 750mL, the 18 yr old is $74.95. And I think that's a seasonal sale price. I think it's usually near $100. It's very very good stuff and it was a wonderful gift. Maybe it could be an annual Christmas buy!

My wonderful wife got me this very sweet gem - a bottle of Longmorn, distilled the same month I was born. (Dec '68) :001_tt1:

I think I will keep the remainder as a birthday dram each year until gone.

Top Bottom