What's new

ist a smiling blade?

this is a strange blade because it seels like on one side of the blade lays flat on the the stone to the point and the other side seems to not lay flat up to the point. could it be not honing correctly cause on one side the bevel face looks even and the other side looks like its thicker in the middle and both spine lookj like they have equal thickness
i sonder if i fix the bevel; face on the other side if it will be eatier to hone. how do i strop this?. like every other razor or do i roll it?

Pictures of both sides would really help here.

Wildly guessing in the dark, I might conjecture that the blade is warped, but mildly, and that the grind is on the hollow side, so that some pressure on the stone is applied to the concave side, sufficient to flatten the bevel out and give even results, but it is less obvious by the feedback that the same needs to be done on the convex side, so the middle gets more stone attention.

Take a look for reference.
1重要刀變型圖blade&edge_conditions.jpg

I was literally going to make a thread on this just now and just saw this one with similar experience. I have a Wolstenholm Frameback wirh a smile that I honed up and bevel set over the weekend using my progression Norton 1k/4k/8k/ Naniwa 12K SS/JNAT/ILR/ Balsa Strop .50/.25/.01

I noticed after the fact during mud progression the blade was canted and warped heavier to one side of the bevel and steeper, which was felt on every stone . I compensated for the smile by doing rolling x strokes towards the heel in one small section.

Here is where the anomaly comes into play. The blade passes the paper test all throughout the blade except the last 1/4 of the heel. Ok no biggie for me. But here is the weird part. It generally passes the paper test, fails the tomato and thumb pad test for any kind of sharp digging to typically be felt from my edges. As a matter of fact I can run my finger right over the whole length of the blade and not get cut. But it just barely tree tops, and actually shaves pretty decent WTG/ACTG/and ATG and comfortably offering more shallow nics and slices then what I am used to from my edges. Granted there was more resistance in this edge then I was used to but was overall somewhat satisfied from the result of the shave. Anyone ever have this happen with a warped smiling blade or frameback?

I was literally going to make a thread on this just now and just saw this one with similar experience. I have a Wolstenholm Frameback wirh a smile that I honed up and bevel set over the weekend using my progression Norton 1k/4k/8k/ Naniwa 12K SS/JNAT/ILR/ Balsa Strop .50/.25/.01

I noticed after the fact during mud progression the blade was canted and warped heavier to one side of the bevel and steeper, which was felt on every stone . I compensated for the smile by doing rolling x strokes towards the heel in one small section.

Here is where the anomaly comes into play. The blade passes the paper test all throughout the blade except the last 1/4 of the heel. Ok no biggie for me. But here is the weird part. It generally passes the paper test, fails the tomato and thumb pad test for any kind of sharp digging to typically be felt from my edges. As a matter of fact I can run my finger right over the whole length of the blade and not get cut. But it just barely tree tops, and actually shaves pretty decent WTG/ACTG/and ATG and comfortably offering more shallow nics and slices then what I am used to from my edges. Granted there was more resistance in this edge then I was used to but was overall somewhat satisfied from the result of the shave. Anyone ever have this happen with a warped smiling blade or frameback?
Paper test, I previously published a test using toilet paper. The edge does not cut the paper, but it can pass HHT. Is this the method you use?

Top Bottom