What's new

Is this worth a try....?

I have been using a safety razor for a while now, and wondered if anyone knew whether this implement was good or not. It is a 'Focus' brand, and you slot a safety blade into it, after having broken the blade in half. Or should I just go for a straight razor - trouble is I don't fancy all that stropping business...

Its probably pretty cheap, get it if you want it. You might consider some shaving oil. Oils are often recommended with this system. The safety bars on a DE are actually helpful with a DE blade, thus once removed you end up with a pretty different shave than a regular straight, one that is better served with the addition of oil to "soften" the edge a little.

An open DE blade is less forgiving than a traditional straight.

I have been using a safety razor for a while now, and wondered if anyone knew whether this implement was good or not. It is a 'Focus' brand, and you slot a safety blade into it, after having broken the blade in half. Or should I just go for a straight razor - trouble is I don't fancy all that stropping business...

Hi Scarlatti,

Sure it is worth a try. I used one of these long before I learned to use a straight razor. As AFDavis11 says, they are less forgiving. Also, a "shavette" style razor has neither the same heft nor blade width as a straight. Nonetheless, it's an inexpensive option, and one doesn't have to spend time learning to strop and hone. A shavette will provide some good practice with using an open blade, but there is still quite an appreciable difference between using a straight and a shavette.

Hal

I would reccomend getting a real straight. I started with one of these, and once you get used to the sharpness of them, you probably will get disappointed by the sharpness of your straight.
The problem with these is that they are so aggressive. I had the exact same one, and you need to be so careful with it or it will shred your face. It does provide a close shave in one pass though.
Personally I wouldn't buy one again, they are quite cheap feeling and not heavy enough to be able to get a smooth stroke.
Hope that helps

I would reccomend getting a real straight. I started with one of these, and once you get used to the sharpness of them, you probably will get disappointed by the sharpness of your straight...<snip>...

Can't say I'd agree with you on this point. I certainly wasn't disappointed with the sharpness of my straights, to say the least. For someone starting out, however, these shavettes can ofer a good benchmark for honing and stropping skills.

Hal

I certainly wasn't disappointed with the sharpness of my straights, to say the least.

Gotta agree with Hal here. Straights can compare quite favorably with one of these things, but probably not when you're first starting to learn to hone. But it gives you something to shoot for when you're practicing your honing.

Can't say I'd agree with you on this point. I certainly wasn't disappointed with the sharpness of my straights, to say the least. For someone starting out, however, these shavettes can ofer a good benchmark for honing and stropping skills.

Hal

I will back Hal up on this one. Over two years ago Hal sent me one of these shavettes to see if I was interested in straight razors. If anything now I would be disapointed shaving with a shavette versus a straight. Still not a bad way to get your feet wet in the hobby, without spending much. It does let you know what a keen edge feels like.

Glen

I've been shaving with a straight now for almost a week and I love it. Last time I was in Vegas I got a shave at AOS, and the barber used one of these shavettes. Let me tell you that there is a definite difference between a real straight and one of these DE blade straights. A real straight is a lot smoother and more comfortable, the shavette felt harsh on my skin.

Just my 2 cents.

No way. I would not touch a DE blade after using a str8

Top Bottom