What's new

Is this very early Gem a shaver?

Hi Guys,

This may be one for Alex as I think he's a Gem Expert?

Anyway, I've just restored this very early Gem

I don't think it takes standard single edge blades?

I would estimate that it's from early 1900s?

The Head splits in half by releasing a catch and the blade retaining lever has two tiny adjusting screws. The razor is marked:

The Gem Cuttlery
Gem Safety Razor New York USA

Here's some images and any information appreciated

proxy.php

proxy.php

Attachments

• $early-gem2.jpg
    $early-gem2.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 196
That's one of the very early Gem lather catchers introduced right around the turn of the century, and it was designed to use the wedge blades. Very nice specimen, that's for sure.

I see the patent stated as Dec 27 98.

They clearly were not worried about a potential Y1.9K problem.

Nice razor!

I believe that the thumb clip on yours makes it one of the later versions of Gem's earliest generation -- probably something like 1901-1903ish if I were to guess based on patent filings and sketchy advertising art. Below is an earlier model that I have -- I assume it's from 1898 from the "patent pending" inscription:

proxy.php

You can see that it cribbed the spring clip design from the Star razor, which is also what's illustrated in Jeremiah Reichard's 1898 patent:

This patent of August Scheuber's from 1901 is the earliest clear depiction of the thumb clip that I know of:

I can't quite tell if yours has blade stops at the front of the guard -- mine definitely doesn't. But even if yours did it would probably still be a bit tough to use a modern blade safely. As Tom said, they were really designed for the wedge blades.

if it takes standard SE blades..then its from the 1920's..if not..then it needs wedge blades..late 1890's..made by the French

if it takes standard SE blades..then its from the 1920's..if not..then it needs wedge blades..late 1890's..made by the French

There were plenty of single-edge razors that used thin blades prior to the 1920s, and similarly there were plenty of wedge blade razors after the 1890s, not to mention the fact that wedge blades were made many other places than France. You might want to have a look through the recent lather catcher SROTM thread. Many of the razors there are from the cross-over period between wedge and thin blades.

Wow, thanks for all the information guys.

Mine doesn't have blade stops at the front so must be for wedge blades. I did try fitting a standard SE blade but it slid around so much that I'd have cut myself to shreds if I'd tried it.

This one's a display piece I think..

Top Bottom