What's new

Is this straight razor any good?

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason
Is this razor any good? I've never used a straight razor and thinking of trying it, since I got this for free.

Last edited:
Is this razor any good? I've never used a straight razor and thinking of trying it, since I got this for free.
A biased opinion: I would pay twice that price to be excused from having to use it on my face.

The reason for the bias: I once bought a shavette-style (replaceable blade) razor without reading people's recommendations. I've never cut my face as much as I did with that thing, not within an order of magnitude. I couldn't shave for two weeks.

There are shavette-style razors that people here recommend, but I can't have an opinion about those, because I'm using straight razors exclusively.

and there's one way to find out.

it looks like every other half DE blade shavette out there to me. I have a full DE Universal in storage somewhere that's well regarded. it didn't matter what quality of blade I threw in it, so use up your cheap low end DE blades you may have if you want to test drive this. I don't personally care for them, but I'd been shaving with real straights when I test drove the Universal. they'll give you a good shave when you master them, but I didn't like the style. I did see the utility of them, and ended up grabbing a Feather SS after trying out a couple different Feathers for no muss, no fuss, as close to a real straight experience there is. but that's a very different thing than a DE shavette. plenty of people are completely satisfied with this style.

Top Bottom