What's new

Is there a way to remove the knot on an Omega and use it in another handle?

Is there a way to remove the knot on an Omega and use it in a replacement handle from TGN or something, without damaging it?

Somehow the vinegar soak left a stain on the metal of a professional Omega handle. And to make this worse, I started sanding it with low grit sand paper and using some nail buffing files to polish. Well, it didn't remove the scratches, however, it did remove the cheap chrome finish to reveal something brass colored. Anyway it now looks like a mess.

Is there a way to remove the knot on an Omega and use it in a replacement handle from TGN or something, without damaging it?

Without damaging the knot or without damaging the handle ?

You can get it out without damaging the knot for sure. I don't know how to get one out without damaging the handle though.

To get the knot out, just take a dremel with a cut off wheel and split the handle. Or split it anyway you can if you don't have a dremel. The odds of damaging the knot are low actually.

Cool. No I could care less about the handle, but there is the metal band around it, will a Dremel cut through this you think?

Might be an idea to shoot Rudy Vey or one of our other brush makers here a PM for direction and advice. Just noticed bobfarvour was your first response and he restores brushes! I know Lee (of M&F fame) recently removed a Plisson knot without damaging the knot or handle as both were required for different projects, so I'm sure it can be done.

Cool. No I could care less about the handle, but there is the metal band around it, will a Dremel cut through this you think?

A dremel with a cutoff wheel will cut through a harden steel lock shackle, the metal the handles made of will be no problem.
I would wrap the hair in masking tape before you start cutting.

Save yourself the heartbreak of ruining both the handle and the knot. Anthony at The Golden Nib sells Omega boar knots, and they are fantastic to use on restorations.

Save yourself the heartbreak of ruining both the handle and the knot. Anthony at The Golden Nib sells Omega boar knots, and they are fantastic to use on restorations.

Yes I know, but the handle is already ruined and if I don't take the knot out I'm just going to toss the thing. Besides, I'll probably be purchasing the replacement handle there. PLUS, do you know how long it takes to break in an Omega boar? I put lots of hard work into those swirls.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to cut this sucker open when I return home.

Top Bottom