What's new

Is shave butter good for a quick shave?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
(I'm not sure if I'm in the right spot. I couldn't find any category that seemed to apply to shave butter.)

You know, when you don't have time to build a lather etc. And this particular shave butter seems to have a lot of great reviews. Dollar Shave Club Shave Butter - 6 fl oz - https://www.target.com/p/dollar-shave-club-shave-butter-6-fl-oz/-/A-80131559 Think it's worth giving a try?
I used only non brush butters for years in an attempt to find the best one.

There is wide variation in quality.

DSC is great. I preferred Marlowe even more.

After I found those I stopped looking.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Shaving butter is really no quicker than brushless shaving cream, just a different concoction.

I've heard that the Dr Carver's brand coined the term not many years ago.

I believe its popularity (such as it is), is due to the ingredients and feel, more than the rapidity of the shave produced.
They are usually translucent, which is touted as a positive attribute, though I fail to see any value in it.
Because they are not soaps nor have any soap in them, their ingredient profiles tend to be quite different from creams and soaps. They are frequently made of all-natural ingredients and may benefit those with sensitivities. They also claim to be less clogging to a razor, but I believe the opposite to be true.

They're not for everyone. In fact, I find them to be an acquired taste.

The product has come to be called "shaving butter," but a better description might be "shaving slime!"

I use Pinaud Clubman Shave Butter when I'm in a rush but need to be clean shaven. It's entirely brushless and provides decent alickness and cushion. It works well for me, but it does clog the razor. Fortunately, a quick rinse under the faucet between passes clears that up.

That said, I much prefer my leisurely shaves with lather made by whipping my brush in a mixture of water and either shaving soap or shaving cream.

Thanks for the replies. I tried the Dollar Shave Club shave butter. Very different. Felt the shave was a little scratchy but quick, which is why I bought the stuff. And you can see cuts or senitive areas that you need to be careful of. Super slippery but no cushion. Very difficult to rinse when done. No gunk on razor or blade (I expected it) during or after shave. For me this will only be when I'm in a hurry and don't need a great shave. For that it worked well. No cuts. No irritation.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I am not very particular with my lather and in 60 seconds I can load a brush and build a lather with which I can shave. There is nothing to be gained in terms of time saved for me from using this product. I think I would use hair conditioner first, I have found it gives a perfectly acceptable shave at a push.

It's great for people who don't want to lather but there is also the risk of clogging up your razor.

It's a preference. It doesn't take long for me to face lather any lathering cream or soap so I haven't bought a nonlathering product in a while. Lather rinses off much more easily.

There are many youtube reviews of people using this product if you want to check that out before purchasing.

Shaved with it again--this time used more shave butter. I kept feeling like I was going to cut myself but never did. I think this will be perfect for an evening shave.

I use it when I'm in a rush and don't have the time I spend with my Tabac:, or I had a bad shave and want the transparency to navigate the next shave. The good : It can take a lot of repeat strokes and buffing without causing irritation and helps prevent cuts. Really this product is meant to pair well with five blade carts and it is good in that regard. Also The Bad: Because of it's sticky consistency, it's hard to get really close even with multiple passes. It's just OK.

I used only non brush butters for years in an attempt to find the best one.

There is wide variation in quality.

DSC is great. I preferred Marlowe even more.

After I found those I stopped looking.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Which of those two is the more transparent?

I use it when I'm in a rush and don't have the time I spend with my Tabac:, or I had a bad shave and want the transparency to navigate the next shave. The good : It can take a lot of repeat strokes and buffing without causing irritation and helps prevent cuts. Really this product is meant to pair well with five blade carts and it is good in that regard. Also The Bad: Because of it's sticky consistency, it's hard to get really close even with multiple passes. It's just OK.
And it's tough cleaning up because it's so slippery.

Necroposting here. Sorry.

Just bought a small travel size tube of this stuff to use while I'm on the go. Gave it a spin with a heavy amount of stubble using a Gillette Toggle set at (actually stuck at) 4.

Truly impressed with DSC Shave Butter. Did two WTG passes and rinsed with very warm water. The shave was very smooth and comfortable.

Better than any other canned gels or creams I've historically used on the road.

This is my new travel companion for shaving.

Top Bottom