What's new

Is Penhaligons worth the price?

I found Penhaligons on a website, on paper it sounds pretty amazing, but I was just curious if the fragrance lasts.
I apologize if this is a dumb or previously asked question, I'm new here.

It will help if you let us know which of the Penhaligon's scents you are considering as we can give you specific feedback. In general, Penhaligons makes quality fragrances. Whether they are worth the price will depend on you. For some, spending that much on cologne will never be rationalized. For others, the price is no objective as the quality of scent and ingredients drive the purchase. FWIW, I have owned several and just purchased another. I don't consider myself to be a fragrance expert but do like several of their scents. I don't find the prices to be out-of-line with other high-end fragrances.

Worth the price is pretty subjective, but many people here including myself have one or more Pen's frags in our collections - I have several. So we think they're worth it. Archerfire in the vendor section has a few Pen's scents so you could buy decants and try for yourself. I've also heard that the Art of Shaving stores are stocking Pen's now. If you have one nearby maybe you can get a sample there.

Apologies, I meant to mention the fragrance. I was considering their Opus 1870 fragrance. To be honest I've never purchased cologne before, I guess that's why I was surprised by the price. I'm it's pretty standard as far as colognes go. But I'm definitely interested in Penhaligons.
Thanks guys, I appreciate the info.

Worth the price is pretty subjective, but many people here including myself have one or more Pen's frags in our collections - I have several. So we think they're worth it. Archerfire in the vendor section has a few Pen's scents so you could buy decants and try for yourself. I've also heard that the Art of Shaving stores are stocking Pen's now. If you have one nearby maybe you can get a sample there.

Totally subjective. Personally I don't think any Pen's frags are worth the price but I'm in the minority. They have a lot of fans and make quality fragrances, I can't deny that, but they just don't appeal to me. Try before you buy! Visit Archerfire and try a few things first.

I found Penhaligons on a website, on paper it sounds pretty amazing, but I was just curious if the fragrance lasts.
I apologize if this is a dumb or previously asked question, I'm new here.

Welcome to B&B!
Opus is a great frag! Underrated among the Pens, IMO.

Is it worth the price? Good question!
i see you're from Pasadena! Average home price there is $635,000! Is it worth that much!!

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 561
Welcome to B&B!
Opus is a great frag! Underrated among the Pens, IMO.

Is it worth the price? Good question!
i see you're from Pasadena! Average home price there is $635,000! Is it worth that much!!

Hahaha! Touché, my friend. I think I'll order the sample pack and take it from there. Which Pens frag is your personal favorite?

I would recommend sampling before purchasing, I have tried several scent from Pens and none of them have lasted more then a couple of hours on my skin but I have not tried Opus. In Pasadena, there is a shave shop, Old Town Shaving Company, its in a huge flower shop, I saw a good selection of cologne from Pens while I was there, it might be worth it for you to stop buy and check it out.

I love all the Penhaligon's fragrances I've tried. But I haven't tried Opus 1870 yet. The sampler is a good idea.

The Old Town Shave Shop at Stats is in Pasedena. They carry the Penhaligon's line. Maybe stop in there and check them out when you have a chance. The owner Damon is a really nice guy and is great to deal with. I would love it if that store was in my neighborhood.

+1 about Old Town Shaving Company. Damon will definitely take good care of you.

I've placed three orders with him and each time he has taken very good care of me. He's definitely earned my business and is now my preferred vendor for shave supplies. Ships same day also. I've gotten all three of my orders very quickly.

Damon is very competitive and takes pride in that he will beat any internet price you find. I feel like he wants to make sure I get a great deal and truly enjoys making sure that I do. He's a super nice guy and a pleasure to talk to as well. And besides, who else gives out their cell phone number and makes themselves available to us like this. A truly excellent vendor.

Email Penhaligons and they will send you samples in the mail. At least they did a few years ago when I asked for them. Opus is really good Winter scent. Strong cedar and pepper.

Penhaligons has long been a favorite of wet shavers. For good reason. They are high quality, mostly traditonal well groomed man kind of scents with a bit of British flair.

I haven't tried Opus, but my notes on a few I've tried:

Sartorial - semi modern take on a men's classic fougere (fougere is a a style of scent similar to Brut). While similar to Brut, it's clearly a high quality manly scent for a well dressed man.
English Fern- a very comfortable traditional well groomed kind of scent. Best for warmer weather IMO.
Blenheim Bouquet- a big favorite of wet shavers. And the one scent I will p*ss on every time I see it mentioned. Starts off like lemon pledge and pine sol and then fades to nothing. Very known for its lack of longevity. My own opinion is that it is a scent for men who really don't like wearing scent since it fades so fast and wears so lightly.. But since I don't want to sound like I'm attacking the taste of those who like it, my nose may be more insensitive to it. Men who like it may have a more sensitive nose and maybe it's heaven for them. YMMV
Endymion- their attempt at a more modern gourmand type scent. Has a bit of a caffe latte kind of scent. Wears a bit light for me.
Hammam Bouquet - A very, very old school kind of scent. Lavender and roses. Very much an acquired taste. Seems like something Nucky Thompson might wear. I tried to rock and could not make it work. Has a bit of a "baby oil" kind of smell to it.
Racquets Formula- sadly discontinued. My favorite. Is a bit like a a hig end version of Clubman. Very clean cut.

Make sure you get samples. You want to wear all day to truly know how it will develop and last on you. New to men's scents, you need to be clear that the opening blast of a scent is not how it's going to smell all day. Scents have three phases- opening notes, middle or heart notes, and base notes. All are mostly present when you first spray it, but the base notes are what will stick around.

Top Bottom