What's new

Is it normal to wet-shave with electric shaver?

I'm a SE fan boy and get really close shaves with all the prep. But with work cranking up the hours Ive started to tidy up at work (cheeks and side burns). I've bought a couple of wet 'n' dry foil razors. Nothing expensive just a cheap Kemi, Braun and a Panasonic. All battery except for the Kemi thats rechargeable able. I regularly tidy up dry at work and when I shower there wet as well. Little bit of foamless gel and a whizz round. Both ways leave me with a decent shave to get through to the weekend.

The only reason that electric shaver manufactures started making them work with water was the advent of rechargeable batteries. Here was an entire new market for what they were producing for over 50 years. Wetting an electric shaver presents a couple of issues. One issue is corrosion. Except for Panasonic, who uses expensive stainless steel heads and cutters, all others require some kind of lubricants applied to the screen to prevent corrosion of the parts that shave your face. Another issue is that the batteries only have a finite number of cycles which requires either replacing them, or buying a new shaver. Unfortunately, there are no longer any electric shaver repair facilitie. When I first started shaving with a Norelco in 1962 or 1963, that shaver lasted until 1972 when I switched to a Ronson, screen shaver, which was really a Braun shaver manufactured under license by Ronson in the U.S. Both shavers still would work today plugged into the wall socket if I had kept them and I could find the cutter and screen parts.

Both shavers only required replacing the cutters and the screen every couple of years. Now I have to replace the entire shaver when the batteries die. My current Braun seven series shaver was purchased in 2019. Hopefully, it will last a couple of more years.

Prior to returning to traditional shaving, I used Panasonic razors, first the Arc3 until it finally died, and then the newer at the time Arc4, with Edge Gel. Using the Gel gave a quick, smoother, and closer shave. To clean it, just put in water between passes, and then after the shave.

Problem with the Electrics is the cost of replacing the screen & cutters can get expensive at around $70.00 for the Arc4. Then take into account the battery degrades after a couple years, and aren't designed for easy replacement. With the battery going out, and the another screen/cutter set, its actually more cost effective to replace the razor.

I finally just went back to traditional shaving, and just toss a $0.08-$0.10 blade every 1-2 weeks. I do sometimes miss the quickness of the electric, although being older appreciate the smell and feeling of a nice close shave with the DE/SE. Sort of like visiting the barber for a traditional shave with your haircut, but you get to do it daily.

Sadly, the DE/SE doesn't pass TSA, so I'm deciding what to bring on vacation later this year, when we fly for the first time in nearly 30 years.

Buddy, this "modern shaving" system forum was started to identify good men who need a "Come to Jesus" moment.

I was in the hospital for days over a blood clot that manifested from knee surgery stemming from an injury in Baghdad. My Dad brought me an electric shaver while I was in the hospital.

If I had to describe a process equal in crappiness to a blood clot in the lung, it would be the electric razor. Get thyself a DE.

Prior to returning to traditional shaving, I used Panasonic razors, first the Arc3 until it finally died, and then the newer at the time Arc4, with Edge Gel. Using the Gel gave a quick, smoother, and closer shave. To clean it, just put in water between passes, and then after the shave.

Problem with the Electrics is the cost of replacing the screen & cutters can get expensive at around $70.00 for the Arc4. Then take into account the battery degrades after a couple years, and aren't designed for easy replacement. With the battery going out, and the another screen/cutter set, its actually more cost effective to replace the razor.

I finally just went back to traditional shaving, and just toss a $0.08-$0.10 blade every 1-2 weeks. I do sometimes miss the quickness of the electric, although being older appreciate the smell and feeling of a nice close shave with the DE/SE. Sort of like visiting the barber for a traditional shave with your haircut, but you get to do it daily.

Sadly, the DE/SE doesn't pass TSA, so I'm deciding what to bring on vacation later this year, when we fly for the first time in nearly 30 years.
Personally, I shave with a Braun series 7893s that I purchased back in 2019. I used to use a Panasonic but switched to Braun because Panasonic charges nearly the same price as that of a new shaver, discounted at Amazon, for the replacement parts. Braun uses a single cassette which contains all of the replaceable parts. I replaced the original one last year from Amazon for about $35.

I always shave dry in the morning when I first get up before showering. I tried using the Panasonic wet, but didn’t notice any difference except it took more time to shave and the razor had to sit on the bathroom counter to dry. I have been using screen type electric shavers since about 1972. Back then they were all plug in shavers and couldn’t be used wet unless you wanted to electrocute yourself. You can still buy corded shavers from Braun. They are fairly inexpensive and have only one head with one screen. Except for replacing the screen and cutter, they will probably last forever. That might be your best solution.

Buddy, this "modern shaving" system forum was started to identify good men who need a "Come to Jesus" moment.

I was in the hospital for days over a blood clot that manifested from knee surgery stemming from an injury in Baghdad. My Dad brought me an electric shaver while I was in the hospital.

If I had to describe a process equal in crappiness to a blood clot in the lung, it would be the electric razor. Get thyself a DE.
Obviously, you were either not using it correctly, didn’t give your face and beard a chance to acclimate to the shaver, or you just don’t like electric shavers. Anytime I have had to shave with any kind of blade, I wind up nicking and cutting myself. I then either have to apply that stinging stuff to stop the bleeding that comes in a stick, or use small pieces of toilet paper until the blood coagulates. Either way it’s a mess between the blood, the shaving cream, and the water.

I have been using electric shavers since about 1963. I started using a Norelco double head AC shaver and switched to a Ronson, AC, screen shaver in 1972. Ronson built Braun shavers in the United States until the 1980s. I used to apply a powered pre shave stick to my face to dry the skin of any moisture. Regardless, of what others have recommended, I shave 100% dry every morning before showering. I don’t have to use the powdered pre shave because I have central air conditioning which removes the humidity from the house. I get very close shaves using a screen type shaver and shaving takes about five minutes including cleaning the cuttings from the head of the shaver. I never let any water touch my shaver even though it’s water proof.

I came, and Jesus told me he uses a Braun. But he might have said "Philips" - my Aramaic is a little rusty. He did seem pretty forgiving of what type of razor I used though.... :001_smile

I came, and Jesus told me he uses a Braun. But he might have said "Philips" - my Aramaic is a little rusty. He did seem pretty forgiving of what type of razor I used though.... :001_smile
Even in my cartridge razor days, which was mainly my Army days too, I could never get a satisfactory result from an electric. My Dad (not Stepdad) used an electric, but I took my hair cues from my Mom's side [we all look like Captain Picard].

I even tried to win him over with a TTO from RazoRock, but it didn't take. He must've re-gifted that, because I did not see it when he passed.

I'm a SE fan boy and get really close shaves with all the prep. But with work cranking up the hours Ive started to tidy up at work (cheeks and side burns). I've bought a couple of wet 'n' dry foil razors. Nothing expensive just a cheap Kemi, Braun and a Panasonic. All battery except for the Kemi thats rechargeable able. I regularly tidy up dry at work and when I shower there wet as well. Little bit of foamless gel and a whizz round. Both ways leave me with a decent shave to get through to the weekend.

Well since this post I've moved over to the foil razor whole heartly. Mainly because I've grown a goatee. I still use my foil razors both wet and dry but these days mainly dry (with either shave power or electric shave juice) i get great shaves but have moved on to a Remington heritage, Kemei TX 1 and a superb wahl travel shaver.

Top Bottom