What's new

Is it normal to wet-shave with electric shaver?

I have been wet shaving with manual razor, and sometimes dry shave with electric one to save time.

But my skin always get irritated and tickling when I dry shave with my foil shaver.

I have tried using a shave gel with electric shaver recently, it opens a whole new world, the smoothness and without irritation and redness.

Is it very common to use electric shaver with gel/cream/soap?

Last edited:
To be frank, the overwhelming majority on Badger & Blade are shavers who use either safety or straight razors.
There is however a sub-forum under General Shaving Discussions that deals with Modern Shaving Systems like electric razors.

That would probably be the best place to post this question, possibly together with a poll.
As you are a new member, I have taken the liberty to post such a poll for you under the Title Do you use your electric razor wet or dry?

Feel free to check there, but don’t forget to cast your vote in this poll too.

Hope this helps…

B.

Good question. I don't really know. Most of the electrics now are being marketed as "wet and dry" but it's probably geared to the shower shaver- with bar soap or no soap- than people like us that visit shaving forums.

I use an electric about half the time. I'm mostly an 'Lectric Shave type of guy right now but occasionally, I'll use a shaving soap or cream with a brush and do a thin lather so the machine doesn't get too gummed up- usually when I shave my head and still have lather left in the brush.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@quickshave90, I have found the same as you with my Braun M90 foil shaver. The M90 is not marketed as wet & dry but it is marketed as waterproof.

IMG_20210825_081147.jpg

If the electric razor was designed for it, it's fine. You don't want a heavy lather, though. Something like a thin layer of brushless cream applied with the fingers would be all right. Just rinse well afterwards.

In older days, electric razors and water did not mix. You could use a product like Lectric Shave which is basically an astringent lotion. It tightens the skin, raises the whiskers, and provides some slickness, allowing for a closer shave.

Yes, and it’s a 500% game changer. Try taking a $7 tube of Cremo and the electric razor into a hot shower to shave. Face lather, and lightly drag your index finger in front of the foils so you can feel remaining whiskers to go over as you go. It takes a while longer than a DE, and although you won’t get BBS you will get a really good DFS free of any irritation. That extra time showering with the electric (or over your sink) may not be extra time at all if you consider not cleaning up razors, bowls, brushes, counter tops….I will always have one for the trimmer function, sunburns, recovery shaves, and ease of light travel as I could get 10 shaves out of one charge. It’s also great to have if you go full caveman and want an efficient way to get to the point you can see skin again before breaking out a DE again. For many years, the electric’s primary function was being step #1 before using a Mach 3 if I had grown out a beard. Like a lot of other wet electric owners, I was simply clueless about what it was capable of if I actually used it as designed- wet with shave cream. I rarely use my electric as I enjoy the DE process and result so much more, but used correctly they are very nice and convenient tools to own.

BZZZZZZTTTTT ... and thats him electroplated :eek2: oh you didn't mean wet wet and electricity....
Yep. Definitely has to be a “wet” rated, cordless razor. That’s what happens when I assume….some guy reads my post, walks into the a ruuning shower attached to a long, orange extension cord…..

Most people that I know who use electrics use them dry. The few times I’ve used one I dry shaved with it. I never could get a good result with it and went back to using cartridge razors before switching to de’s. I know there are some models that are designed for wet or dry use but I don’t have any experience with them

The last few times I tried electric with my old DE soap and brush it didn't provide a good shave, as I had less control by not seeing well through the cream. Sometime I will try electric wet shave again as I have so much soap to use up!

I tried to use soap with my Braun 7 Series this morning .... razor is much quieter no dryness or irritation and generally a much better shave with no chance of being cut. It will be my go to method from now on. Many thanks for the advice.

I have only tried once, that was the day I shaved my head for the first time.... buzzed it w no guard. Put some canned stuff, and stepped into the shower.......a total fiasco......(using a Panasonic foil)..... Was irritated and cut almost nothing. I showered, then dried , and used the same razor dry......horrible irritation....had to use sun burn lotion w lidocaine......and still not shave well.

Next morning used a cart w canned stuff.....shave was OKish but by then the irritation was out of this world.

That is when I bought a DE...... Merkur adjustable and had to learn to shave DE......with brush, soap or cream et al....

I have done dry shaving my neck....have a mole......and it burns....(rotary norelco).

Obviously, if the shaver has replacement or rechargeable batteries you can shave wet. However, if you do shave wet you must apply light machine oil to the screens and cutters to prevent corrosion. I would never get my Braun series 7 shaver wet. I get extremely close shaves using it dry first thing in the morning before showering or washing my face.

I use exactly the same software and prep with all of my electrics that I use with my DE (and cartridge) razors, with equally excellent results. Shower, pre-shave (Jack Black), bowl lather with a brush, soap and scuttle, and shave, followed by generous WH application and a good AS. Almost as close with most electrics as with a DE, and as (or more) comfortable. If touching up a DE shave, just additional lather where needed and buzz off!

I use exactly the same software and prep with all of my electrics that I use with my DE (and cartridge) razors, with equally excellent results. Shower, pre-shave (Jack Black), bowl lather with a brush, soap and scuttle, and shave, followed by generous WH application and a good AS. Almost as close with most electrics as with a DE, and as (or more) comfortable. If touching up a DE shave, just additional lather where needed and buzz off!

If That works for you, then that’s terrific. However, it seems like a lot of work. I get an excellent close shave using my shaver dry, before showering or washing my face. I’ve been using electric shavers since 1973, dry and receive terrific shaves. I tried once using a Panasonic shaver wet in the shower with mixed results. It took too much time and effort.

Yep, it's more "work" than shaving dry (which I do when traveling - actually not dry, but with a pre-shave). But it's less effort and fuss than shaving with a DE razor. A lot. And as comfortable, although I still shave with a DE. So different strokes, and as most DE shavers know, it's not always about the convenience. When I was a working stiff with a 4 AM rise 'n shine, I did shave with a quick splash of Williams and a quick electric buzz, often with an old Braun 790. Good enough, and sure beat a cartridge for sheer purpose. Now I enjoy the morning with my favorite tunes and my favorite artisan. And time is...not as important. :001_smile

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Personally, I have two electrics, much liked but unused in a couple years. Both are wet/dry.

I have tried both ways and detest wet shaving with an electric. IMO that is NOT how they were designed to be used. Marketing them as such was an appeasement hoping to get hard core wet shavers to say "ok, they'll meet me half-way".

This applies ONLY to electric shaving and is the opposite of my wetshaving.

And electric shave for me is
1. Done before the shower
2. With Williams 'Lectric Shave.

The absolute worst way for me to use the electric is post shower. The water fattened skin only makes the darn razor drag more than it should and not shave as close.

I've tried wetshaving with my electric a few times now and it worked out much better than my initial try. It's a real luxury using my old brush and fancy soaps again! The only thing is that it's an even closer shave than usual. So I have to be careful for irritation.

I electric shave dry for the first pass, then apply an electric pre shave lotion for the second pass. Electric shaving with lather doesn't seem right to me...perhaps it's just me?

Top Bottom