What's new

Ink Review - Montblanc Permanent Blue

I stopped by Paradise Pen today and inquired about a permanent blue ink, (for work). The clerk recommended this Montblanc Blue. I was unfamiliar with their inks, but and very happy with this one so far. Nice colour, flows very well from my Metropolitan and is water-proof.

$Montblanc Perm Blue.jpg

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Montblanc inks are really quite wonderful and the "shoe" bottles are also quite handy when filling. It seems a nice business-like ink shade of blue.

Great review, thanks!

Just noticed the dry times -- that's quick.

I love my MB Black ink, it has to be my favorite black ink in my collection, it really is wonderful stuff

Montblanc inks are pretty awesome. They flow well and have good properties. I haven't tried any of the permanent ones, though. The only thing that annoys me is when I come across an ink I like, and then find out it's a MB Limited Edition that's either no longer available or it's on Ebay for like $70.

Montblanc inks are pretty awesome. They flow well and have good properties. I haven't tried any of the permanent ones, though. The only thing that annoys me is when I come across an ink I like, and then find out it's a MB Limited Edition that's either no longer available or it's on Ebay for like $70.

This, pretty much word for word. I love Montblanc inks. I have a very quick growing collection of their stuff that has been amazing in every pen I've put it in. There are about four colors that I've found referenced in reviews on the internet that are all limited edition colors no longer available that I love the look of online. I just don't have the stomach or the pockets to shell out that much to get some ink color that someone was smart enough to hoard away. The staff at the local boutique have been really nice to me about keeping an eye open for limited edition inks at other stores, but aside from a bottle of Jonathan Swift (a color that's quickly grown on me), it hasn't produced the Da Vinci or Honore de Balzac colors that I've been hunting for. Still, fantastic inks all around and very pen friendly.

...it hasn't produced the Da Vinci or Honore de Balzac colors that I've been hunting for. Still, fantastic inks all around and very pen friendly.
Those two are exactly the ones I like best and wish for! :laugh: It's okay though...I have a lot of ink and I'm sure there's analogs out there that are close to both of them, even if you don't get the same ink performance.

I have enough ink to get me through the next few lifetimes and I agree that Montblanc is good stuff (ogling 3 bottles of English Green)). I'm guessing that this colour is the updated version of their old Blue-Black and by extension is it iron gall?

I have enough ink to get me through the next few lifetimes and I agree that Montblanc is good stuff (ogling 3 bottles of English Green)). I'm guessing that this colour is the updated version of their old Blue-Black and by extension is it iron gall?
The OP could correct me here, but there's Midnight Blue, which is an update to their older version and is iron gall, and then there's Permanent Blue, which I think is what's referenced in this thread.

I am now in the Middle East and Mont Blanc inks are widely available, whereas Quink is not. As has been mentioned about the shoe type bottle is excellent. It is a really good ink, I use it in my Parker Sonnets and in a Lamy Alstar with excellent results.

From my research it appears that the Midnight Blue has been reformulated and is no longer permanent. The ink reviewed here is called "Permanent Blue" and I believe it is an iron gall. It is also rated ISO 14145-2, which I believe means "document permanent" but I am unsure if this is the same as archival, or if the color will change on the paper over the years.

Also, some people say this ink can react badly with others so cleaning thoroughly before and after is recommended.

Top Bottom