What's new

Inherited a few old pens

During a visit to mom's last month, she gave me a box containing 6 of dad's pens and a few bottles of ink. He's been gone nearly 25 years, but used them everyday. A friend looked at them and didn't think they were worth much more than the sentimental value. I'm OK with that. In an effort to carry on the family tradition of using them daily I would like to know where to begin. Any tips on how to revive them? Pitfalls to avoid, etc? Thanks in advance!

A&W. Dark Green
Sheaffer. Blue and Chrome. Name on clip (no ‘S)
Sheaffer’S. Dark Gray and Silver. Name on clip.
Sheaffer’S. Black w/ silver band and clip. Name on clip. Made in USA on barrel.
Sheaffer’S. Gray w/ gold band and clip. 14K marking on nib with Made In USA and Sheaffer’S
Esterbrook (R). Green swirl. Made in USA on barrel. Esterbrook 9461 on nib with some engraved lines above and below markings. Only pen that has a lever on the side.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with A&W (other than the soda:laugh:) but it sounds like the Sheaffer's are Vac fill, Snorkels, Cartridge/Converters or Tip Dips if they don't have a lever on the side. If you showed us some pictures I'm sure we could give you a whole lot more information as to what you have.

Thanks, I'll take some tonight. I haven't even taken them apart yet to see if there are cartridges inside or not. I seem to recall seeing a couple empties in the box. Mom referenced she didn't know where the syringe was that he used to fill them.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Do be careful trying to open them, many old Sheaffers are best left to the pros. Many a nice heirloom has been cracked so unless you really know what you're doing and use dry heat, send 'em out.

Congrats!

The first 3 are cartridges (3rd has a bigger one). The next one had a metal tube. The 5th one had a metal tube with metal spirals going around it. The top of the cap twists to raise or lower the ink feeder thingy. The Esterbrook didn't come apart easily so I didn't force it.

proxy.php

not sure about the 3 on the left, but from right to left is (obviously) the esterbrook, then a sheaffer valiant snorkel, and a sheaffer 500 "dolphin" pen which appears to be a touchdown pen. you will probably want to send the snorkel to a pro to fix up (I would recommend Danny Fudge)

IDK anything about pens, but that is cool to have those from your dad. Great heirloom. Use them with pride and enjoy.

Don't know about the value of the other pen's, but I paid $50 to win a green Estie like the one above in a Saint Sue auction here and it was well worth it.

The first three look like Sheaffer School pens (inexpensive cartridge-fillers). They're easy to clean up, take standard Sheaffer cartridges, and generally write well.

The 4th pen (the darker gray Sheaffer) is a touchdown filler and worth restoring.

Your 5th pen (the lighter gray Sheaffer) sounds like a Snorkel model. If it has a white dot on the cap (just above the clip), it could be a Valiant. Nice pen and certainly well-worth restoring.

The green Esterbrook is probably a "J" model. Very easy to restore if you're so inclined, but having it done professionally is inexpensive.

I would recommend sending the last three pens to Danny Fudge at thewritepen.net. He does excellent work, is fast, and inexpensive.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
+1 ^What he said. If you lift up on the lever of the Estie and it "crunches", it needs a new sac, which is an easy DIY if you want to fool with it, or send it off as recommended above. Esterbrooks are nice pens ,as are the others. Great collection of heirlooms! Let us know what you decide and how they turn out.

I'm +1 on Danny Fudge for the restorations. I sent him an old drippy Parker 51 and he sent it back shiny and smooth, not a drip in sight.

The touchdown and the snorkel are usually excellent writers and worth getting a pro to bring them back to life. I certainly love my snorkel and it's become a daily carry.

Thanks for the input all. Away from home at the moment but seem to recall a white mark on the snorkel. I thought it was a drop of paint or something. I'll be sending them off to Danny while I clean up the others and give them a whirl. How would one tell if the 3rd Sheaffer is a PFM?

I have a "school pen" exactly like the second one from the left. It was my grandfather's I believe.
It's my daily driver. What an excellent, smooth pen.
It's perfect for use in my office. It writes beautifully and is a pleasure to use, but it's not so valuable that it will grow legs and wander off.

Top Bottom