What's new

Ingrown hairs have invaded my neck

For the first time since I started shaving 25 years ago... I have ingrown hairs.

They arrived in June and I wasn’t really sure what they were. Started as one, then 2 and have since multiplied to about 12-13. They’re not red or irritated, but they look like tiny, waxy pimples. I’ve tried bump stopper, and at the recommendation of a pharmacist, polysporin with bacitracin. Nothing worked.

I visited my family Dr. today and have been given hydrocortisone cream (1%) and benzo hydroxide cream (5%) - all over the counter purchases. Here’s hoping this works.

I’ve been using the same open comb and blades for the last 2-3 years and switch periodically to my feather kamisori. Synthetic brush, Haslingers schafmilch, MWF or Proraso green. Finish up with an alcohol based splash. I’m not entirely sure what’s causing them, but it’s certainly annoying.

I wear some heavy gear at work and the heat & sweat are possibly the culprits. Might be worth getting some gold bond for my neck in hotter days. Anyone else have any issues out of nowhere ?

Brad.

Isn't that benzo thing for acne?

I heard a boar brush might help prevent in grown hairs or lift it up.

Or you can try squeezing it out with a tweezer.

Benzo for acne. You are correct. I thought the same thing when the doc suggested it, but he went to school way longer than I did. If this doesn’t pan out, I’ll be seeing a dermatologist.

Boar hair may be an option. I have a mixed badger / boar hair brush that hasn’t seen a lot of use lately. The synthetic has just done wonders with making lather.

Two things cause ingrown/irritated hairs on my neck - sweating too much (especially when wearing a tie) and overly aggressive shaving.

I used to get them all the time in Summer when I shaved with a cartridge razor. It's less of a problem with a DE razor, because I don't shave ATG on my neck, so there's enough hair left behind to find its way to the surface again, even if the skin gets irritated when I get (literally) hot under the collar.

I had similar problems until I stopped trying to get a BBS shave. I'm happy, and my wife is also, with just a good old-fashioned Close, Comfortable Shave.

I’ve been considering switching back to my Merkur slant and seeing if that makes a difference. I remember reading somewhere at one point that it’s designed for sensitive skin. I only ever shave WTG, and usually 1 pass with touch ups. Worth a shot anyhow. I went ahead and ordered a Semogue 1470 since I don’t have an actual boar brush any longer. (Had the SOC at one time and sold it.)

Try alum. Make sure you use it before work even if you don't shave. I'll bet you it's caused by a sweat rash, not saying they aren't ingrowns, and alum will reduce it drastically if not eliminate entirely. I had that problem for years and always thought they were just simple ingrown hairs when in fact it was skin inflammation and bacteria not only exacerbating the ingrown hair problem but adding additional batteria to the equation. Alum made a bigger difference for me then any other aspect of wet shaving. I venture a guess that you live in a humid climate? Aftershaves with glycerin also caused a lot of problems for me. Not that I have a glycerin allergy but the basic action of a humectant causes my skin to be greasy which does not help when it's hot out.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Ingrown hairs were a pretty big problem for me with cartridge razors. Since I switched back to DE's a year and a half ago I think I've had three. All three were the result of a dull blade that plucked the hair before cutting it.

That can cause a fractured end of the hair which, when it starts growing back, can get caught below the surface of the skin.

fkkn3.png

Until they go away and heal up, try to only shave WTG over them. Once they've cleared up, you might try a different blade.

@Johnnynroy struggled with this for quite a while and as far as I know, he no longer has any issues.

Ok here’s a few pics from last week up until just now. I’ve been using a rotation between bump stopper, hydrocortisone cream, alum, hot compress and recent Shave works “cool fix”. I changed my razor and blade from my wolfman OC and Gillette nacet to a Merkur Slant and a personna lab blue. In addition I’ve made sure to wash my face and neck before bed, not first thing in the morning. All in all I don’t think any single one of these has made the ingrowns disappear, but it certainly has made me pay attention to my post and preshave routines.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Ok here’s a few pics from last week up until just now. I’ve been using a rotation between bump stopper, hydrocortisone cream, alum, hot compress and recent Shave works “cool fix”. I changed my razor and blade from my wolfman OC and Gillette nacet to a Merkur Slant and a personna lab blue. In addition I’ve made sure to wash my face and neck before bed, not first thing in the morning. All in all I don’t think any single one of these has made the ingrowns disappear, but it certainly has made me pay attention to my post and preshave routines.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

It looks like you're seeing an improvement. In time they should clear up completely.

I notice they're mostly lower on your neck. Its easy to fall into the bad habit of changing the angle of the razor as you shave lower on your neck. If by chance you are doing that, its a lot easier for the blade edge to pluck and pull the hair leading to it becoming ingrown.

I don’t know if it’s just a coincidence or not, but since i switched to Feather blades I have never had another ingrown hair. Not one. It may be worth a try.

I don’t know if it’s just a coincidence or not, but since i switched to Feather blades I have never had another ingrown hair. Not one. It may be worth a try.

I have a plethora of blades to go through and that includes a bunch of feathers!

By the way gents, thanks for all the tips. I truly appreciate it.

I agree with the alum crowd, especially if you are getting hot and sweaty within a few hours of shaving; that always greatly increases my chances of getting that kind of ingrown hair. I suspect that might be related to the bacteria that feed on your sweat (which is the primary cause of body odor).

I've recently discovered that many of my ingrowns are actually the short hairs curving back around to poke at the neck, but that doesn't seem to be your problem.

I had similar problems until I stopped trying to get a BBS shave. I'm happy, and my wife is also, with just a good old-fashioned Close, Comfortable Shave.

+1

The times I've tried going ATG are the only times I've had ingrown hair problems on my face or neck, so I never do that anymore. Usually do 2 passes one with grain and then across and that does it for me.

I also have limited self control and dispose of any ingrown hair, pimple, or cyst that is ready to go with forceps or a sterile needle...

If this doesn’t clear up , see a dermatologist, not a general practitioner.

Agree 100%. Seems to be clearing up however. I made sure to also sanitize all of my razors and feather AC in barbicide. Might be overkill but I’d rather eliminate all contributing factors.

Alum after the shave followed by Shave works seems to be doing wonders. Before bed I put on the hydro cortisone cream. My wife made an interesting observation in that my 4 year old (when she was even young) had the same white, waxy pimples the back of her legs. Turns out it was from her wearing “tights” as some toddlers do. My vest at work has a similar material and it excellent for trapping in heat and sweat. We used the same cream and her condition was gone in a matter of days. My neck is almost clear.

proxy.php

Glad it's clearing up. Taking it easy on the skin for a bit and using things to gently exfoliate, reduce inflammation, and clear out any bacteria usually helps it clear up and lets the hairs come through. It's a much bigger nuisance if they get infected.

Ok, so almost 2 years later and I came across this post. The solution for me was a bit of tea tree oil (from The Body Shop) AAAAAAAAAND.... A boar brush. Antiseptic and exfoliating. Problem solved. Haven’t had an ingrown since.

Top Bottom