What's new

Indulgence of the Night - Oct 08

About a half hour ago, I just finished my first bowl of a light aromatic house blend called "Calhoun." The name was taken from a local lake named (ironically
proxy.php
) Lake Calhoun. Unfortunately, I have no information on the specifics of the blend, but I can tell you that it was mild, creamy, and unbelievably smooth.

A friend of mine who has occasionally enjoyed a cigar with me was intrigued by my new found pipe hobby and in passing, made the comment that we should get him a cob and sit down for a pipe. It was somewhat difficult to gauge the sincerity of his interest as the comment was made online, but last night while out at a restaurant, he again brought it up. Today we stopped into the St. Croix Cigar Company in downtown Hudson, WI and selected a corn cob for him and the "Calhoun" blend.

The tobacco, in a word, was amazing! It was smooth, rich, and dare I say buttery? He picked it up at the recommendation of the guy behind the counter*, who suggested it as a good smoke for a newbie, and it couldn't have been a better choice. You couldn't get this stuff to bite your tongue if you tried!

All in all, my buddy had a very positive 1st pipe smoking experience and I discovered a new blend that really impressed me with its flavor, aroma, and cool/slow burning characteristics for a mere $3.00/ounce.

*He was a young guy in his mid to late twenties and was very knowledgeable about pipes and tobacco. It was nice to see a "younger" guy since I myself am only 27. It's almost like pipes are experiencing a renaissance of sorts.

An Irish Coffee and the Electric Proms live stream. This is definitely making the money in my pocket burn a little hotter with respect to that plane ticket to London.

Tonight it's Iron Pot Chili, cooked in a cast iron pot and featuring dried Habanero pepper from thirdeye's garden.

And, wanting some Jalapeno flavor and being a glutton for punishment, I added several shakes of Tabasco Green Pepper Sauce to the bowl.

:bayrum2:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
2 JohnnieGold on the rocks.

Some good 'ol spaghetti and meatballs.

A no-name Italian red table wine

and most importantly, family and some great friends.

Tonight it's Iron Pot Chili, cooked in a cast iron pot and featuring dried Habanero pepper from thirdeye's garden.

And, wanting some Jalapeno flavor and being a glutton for punishment, I added several shakes of Tabasco Green Pepper Sauce to the bowl.

:bayrum2:

That Ray really gets around!

Sounds delish!

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Here at Chateau Scotto, we are serious about pizza. Dough gets made every weekend and ferments under refrigeration until Friday. Normally I am a purist and make a plain NY style pie, but I added a Buffalo Chicken pizza tonight. It came out fantastic.

BTW Scotto, do you deliver?

Stone Brew Smoked Porter
Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout

And for dinner...
Spaghetti Bolognese ala Bambi
Garlic Bread
Roasted Asparagus

Scotto, time to post the dough recipe.

I had a 2004 Curtis Syrah.

I'm planning a picture-laden tutorial of my pizza making process in the not so distant future. If you want a head start, my favorite dough is 56% hydration, 1% oil, 1% sugar, and 0.4% yeast..... :wink:

I'm planning a picture-laden tutorial of my pizza making process in the not so distant future. If you want a head start, my favorite dough is 56% hydration, 1% oil, 1% sugar, and 0.4% yeast..... :wink:

You know, I still make your quesadilla recipe on a regular basis. My only change is a grill them.

Thanks on the head start. It's a good thing I took a lot of math classes.

*Actually indulgence of night before last...

Pan seared barramundi with lemon/butter/thyme/white wine sauce. Asparagus poached in white vermouth.

Served with a local Riesling (Coronado Vineyards).

Glass of sweet Madeira. 1st time i have had this and it is rather nice. I can see me asking for recommendations on Madiera and sherry next.

Anyone drink these and know anything I should pick up?

Tonight I prepare and dine upon sweet & sour chicken stir-fry in an herb and garlic sauce, a cup o' Earl Grey, and later, an easy glass of Gewurztraminer.

Top Bottom